« Panthers assistant Baker takes job at UNC | Main | Out of Luck: Star QB staying at Stanford »

January 05, 2011

Panthers find fourth candidate

The Panthers have their fourth candidate for their head coaching job, and he'll add a little spice to the process at least.

The Panthers have asked for permission to interview Cleveland  Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for their vacant head coaching job, according to two NFL sources.

The 48-year-old Ryan is the son of legendary defensive coach Buddy Ryan and the brother of New York Jets coach Rex Ryan. He has 13 years of assistant coaching experience in the NFL, with stints in Arizona (on his father's staff) along with New England, Oakland and Cleveland.

He's by far the most colorful of the four identified candidates, a list which also includes defensive coordinators Ron Rivera (San Diego), Perry Fewell (New York Giants) and Greg Manusky (San Francisco).

-- Darin Gantt and Joe Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM | Permalink

Comments

I have no idea if Ryan can coach or not, but at least we wouldn't be bored to tears with "It is what it is" press conferences...

Posted by: J | Jan 5, 2011 1:03:00 PM

Does he wear a belt? I can't tell from looking at him in pictures.

Posted by: A Panthers Fan | Jan 5, 2011 1:05:38 PM

LOL!

Posted by: chuck | Jan 5, 2011 1:08:16 PM

Oh please. Defense for the Browns was terrible. This has got to be a joke.

Posted by: paul | Jan 5, 2011 1:13:23 PM

It appears as if mgmt wants to hire a defensive minded coach. What do you guys think about trying to get Josh McDaniels as the OC; with a defensive minded coach.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 5, 2011 1:19:06 PM

These candidates that are being mentioned make me want to run to the top of BOA stadium .............. and jump

Posted by: Mike | Jan 5, 2011 1:28:18 PM

Four very good candidates with a range of experience, and Ryan at least shows that there's a chance we might get a character. (I happen to think the Ryans are all time bombs waiting to go off, so I'd prefer one of the other guys, but he'd be funny at least.)

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jan 5, 2011 1:29:05 PM

Unless they have their eyes on a hot prospect for Offensive Coordinator and plan to hire a head coach who will give the OC a free hand, they need to pursue somebody who can light up this offense, because the Panthers offense of 2009 & 2010 was downright offensive!

Posted by: John | Jan 5, 2011 1:36:45 PM

Rob Ryan would be an awful choice but I would take Perry Fewell or Ron Rivera in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 5, 2011 1:37:17 PM

Considering Cleveland played the toughest schedule in the NFL their defense wasnt too bad.

The Panthers will hire whomever is willing to work for the lowest salary and unlimited amounts of free Bojangles.

Posted by: Corndogsandapplesauce | Jan 5, 2011 1:46:42 PM

I don't care if we get dr. phil to be our coach as long as andrew luck declares

Posted by: jonesin' for luck | Jan 5, 2011 1:47:56 PM

Ohh i see now...carolina only interview assistant coach's from LOSING teams!..great

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 5, 2011 1:49:47 PM

So far only Ron Rivera excites me, though I agree, we need to go find an offensive coordinator and allow him to free reign.

Here's a thought, re-hire Dan Henning, who will probably lose his job in Miami is Sporano goes.

He is very creative, and is less boring than John Fox dictated him to be.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Jan 5, 2011 1:50:15 PM

I would take the guy who has alot of offense background, has a NFL background somewhere in his career understand how to get the best out of all his players and very creative but also strict with his team, hmm I think I just name Jim harbaugh who also btw has the bests relationship with the Panthers savior Andrew Luck if we want to get Lucky get Jim Harbaugh

Posted by: Telling Like It Is | Jan 5, 2011 1:50:56 PM

Is Mularky/McDermott/Schottenheimer to busy...Oh wait...There from WINing teams...aw shucks

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 5, 2011 1:53:34 PM

@Telling like it is...Were to arrogant...JR said were no even considering Harbaugh...hard to believe...His being wooed by all the other teams made Hurney mad!

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 5, 2011 1:57:19 PM

Mcdermott actually is good. And Rivera is as well. Mularky is pretty good too. Those three, I only consider. Jim harbaugh maybe.

Posted by: paul | Jan 5, 2011 2:00:11 PM

Looks like its going to be another long season for all us Panther fans. From the looks of things Jerry Richardson isn't going to give us anything to get excited about. Just keep interviewing losers and save your millions JR. Eventually your PSL seats will be empty and then you can put the team up for sale to a city who deserves one.

Posted by: NC Tarheel | Jan 5, 2011 2:08:34 PM

I think we should go after Brian Billick. When he was OC for the Vikings; they lit it up.... He's creative enough to pump life back into a lifeless offense.

Posted by: Tyrone | Jan 5, 2011 2:10:41 PM

Jerry Richardson may have a young hard but he still has an old mind and a tight wallet.

Posted by: NC Tarheel | Jan 5, 2011 2:11:18 PM

As if the season wasn't torturous enough. The media has to rub salt in the wound by teasing us with a list of bottom dweller coaching candidates. I believe that, unlike what Fowler said yesterday in his column, the Panthers won't hire until they can look at some of the playoff team coordinators. I think Fowler said 5-10 days..that's baloney. The Panthers just are not that stupid. Oh, and don't rule Harbaugh out. I'm just sayin.

Posted by: Phil | Jan 5, 2011 2:16:29 PM

IVE GOT IT!
Hire Rivera to head coach. Then he can hire Jim Harbaugh for offensive cordinator??????!!!!!!

Posted by: paul | Jan 5, 2011 2:23:28 PM

I wouldn't call a coordinator who coached the number 1 ranked defense a loser. Has anyone been hired yet that you call losers? No. Relax. It's real easy to tell someone how to spend their money when it's not yours.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 5, 2011 2:32:24 PM

Richardson HAS to go with Rivera or Fewell.

Posted by: Al Asher | Jan 5, 2011 2:36:43 PM

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP,..CAN I BE THE 5HT CANDIDATE????

Posted by: d | Jan 5, 2011 2:43:50 PM