« Fairley eager to hear from Panthers | Main | Panthers tap into coaching connections »

January 31, 2011

Panthers hire Titans' wide receivers coach

John Glennon of The (Nashville) Tennessean reports that the Panthers have hired Titans wide receivers coach Fred Graves for the same position with Carolina.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 31, 2011 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

Comments

Fail.

Posted by: Ecto | Jan 31, 2011 11:01:30 AM

@Ecto: except for the fact that he coached Smitty in college (Utah)....

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 31, 2011 11:08:34 AM

Is this guy any good at developing receivers? I don't recall the Titans having solid to good receivers besides Desmond Mason early years with the team.

Should have waited to go after the Packers or Steelers receiver coach. Only time will tell though, countdown until fans come on here and start bitching about Ricky P not being hire as WR coach.

Posted by: oh wow | Jan 31, 2011 11:11:57 AM

This should keep Steve Smith's head out of his butt.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 31, 2011 11:17:36 AM

This should keep Steve Smith's head out of his butt.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 31, 2011 11:17:36 AM

@ oh wow, they can still hire Proehl as Asst. I assume this has alot to do with making Smith happy.

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 31, 2011 11:19:59 AM

Also, why would the Steelers or Packers receivers coaches want to make a lateral move to the Panthers. I love my team but that doesn't make much sense.

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 31, 2011 11:21:20 AM

my wishful thinking is that they rehire jim skipper, move mike shula to tight ends coach,and hire jim zorn as qb coach then i think they will be in business..lol

Posted by: t rex | Jan 31, 2011 11:23:28 AM

I'm not complaining as I don't know much about this guy, but I sure would love to see Proehl on our staff somewhere. I was a little iffy about putting him as WR coach with no experience, but if we could get him as some sort of assistant, that'd be amazing. I never saw players gravitate to one of their own for advice like the did when Proehl was here. Plus there's the local connection. I guess I can't really speak to it from a football perspective, but it sure would feel good to have him around...

Posted by: Jones | Jan 31, 2011 11:26:16 AM

"Also, why would the Steelers or Packers receivers coaches want to make a lateral move to the Panthers. I love my team but that doesn't make much sense".

Just my thoughts, not only but also you never know what can happend unless you try first right? Heck we both would be in shock if they wanted to coach the receivers on this team.

Posted by: oh wow | Jan 31, 2011 11:29:06 AM

@ oh wow, I hear ya. Just saying it's unlikely.

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 31, 2011 12:10:30 PM

I didn't realize des mason played for the titans, wow, NBA and NFL, that is quite an accomplishment :)

seriously though, kenny britt anyone? if this coach had anything to do with britt's all-world play before he got hurt, then I am all about this move

not to mention keeping 89 happy

Posted by: Lebrandon James | Jan 31, 2011 12:12:07 PM

Dammit I meant Derrick Mason as being with the Titans, sorry for mentioning Desmond Mason. I sounded like a dumbass on that one.

Posted by: oh wow | Jan 31, 2011 12:19:39 PM

I would love to see proehl as an assistant to work his way up to our WR coach!!!

Posted by: Dean | Jan 31, 2011 12:42:46 PM

All I can say is Kenny Britt as well. I'm just glad to hear some progress with the remaining coach hirings. I'm sure Rivera knows what he's doing.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 31, 2011 1:27:46 PM

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 31, 2011 1:27:46 PM

Oh great! Another looser!

Posted by: Holmes | Jan 31, 2011 3:32:29 PM

Oh great! What is a "looser?"

Posted by: Dbigcat | Jan 31, 2011 3:39:21 PM

my guess it's the same as loser but with an extra o for extra emphasis

Posted by: cpt.carolina | Jan 31, 2011 4:21:57 PM

According to several news groups Fred Graves has been a top WR coach for 30+ years-> A stickler for precision, Graves’ receiver group has ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in two of the last three seasons in fewest drops per catchable pass (16 in 2007 and 22 in 2008, according to STATS, Inc.) Coaching the Buffalo Bills WR's from 2001 until 2003. In 2002, the Bills receivers posted eye-popping numbers with the trio of Eric Moulds, Peerless Price and Josh Reed combining for 231 receptions, 3,053 yards and 21 touchdowns. Moulds became the first Bills receiver to reach the 100-reception mark in a season and earned a Pro Bowl selection.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Jan 31, 2011 5:41:47 PM

To all of the Steve Smith haters: You guys are IDIOTS!! He is the most explosive player to ever wear a Panthers uniform. You think he has a bad attitude, put yourself in his shoes. He's stuck with Jake Delhomme for years then they give him Clausen. I would have an attitude as well if I were 1 of the leagues best receivers with QB's who can't get him the ball. If Smitty played with Peyton or Brady he'd be a sure fire Hall-of-Famer.

Posted by: dukebluedynasty | Jan 31, 2011 6:10:44 PM

"Eric Washington, who helped the Chicago Bears rank as a top-10 defense this past season, was named as Panthers defensive line coach on Monday."

Why hasn't this been mentioned yet?

Posted by: madcat593 | Jan 31, 2011 8:01:47 PM

@dukebluedynasty: I'd take Beason as the most explosive player on the Panthers roster right now. Watch how he blows up the backfield of the other team. Smitty plays the game and is fun to watch, but his attitude isn't helping him catch the football. Yeah, it sucks to be saddled with a lame coach and bad QB play, but I can't see the Panthers staying that bad for long.

Posted by: Annoyedbyspam | Jan 31, 2011 11:28:57 PM