« Williams: Gruden can help Panthers | Main | Panthers agree to deal with OC »

January 17, 2011

Report: Panthers hire McDermott, more(Update)

The Carolina Panthers moved quickly to secure a new defensive coordinator Monday, hiring Sean McDermott, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The 36-year-old McDermott was fired from the same post by Philadelphia Saturday. He had spent two years in that job, never able to get out of the shadow cast by former coordinator Jim Johnson, for whom he and Panthers coach Ron Rivera worked.

(Update) The Panthers also announced the addition of special teams coach Brian Murphy, who had been with Minnesota, along with the previously reported retention of Ron Meeks as secondary coach and Sam Mills III as defensive quality control/assistant defensive line coach.

McDermott replaced Johnson during the late stages of his battle with cancer. His first game calling the shots was against the Panthers in the 2009 opener, when the Panthers turned the ball over six times in an ugly 38-10 loss that set the stage for that season.

McDermott also talked to Denver about joining John Fox's staff.

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on January 17, 2011 at 04:38 PM | Permalink

Comments

Truly fantastic hire.

For those concerned about McDermott rest assured that this will not be his defense alone, it will be a collaborative effort with head coach Ron Rivera. McDermott and his Jim Johnson training has utilized some of the most creative 4-3 blitzing in the NFL and paired with Rivera who led the NFL's #1 defense in 2010, Panthers fans should be in for a treat in 2011.

We will see a very aggressive style of defense in Carolina for the first time in a while. The prior two seasons under Ron Meeks utilized a very relaxed cover-2 scheme that concentrated on preventing the big play, rather than making plays on defense themselves. I can only imagine what defensive packages we'll see Carolina utilize with Greg Hardy and Everette Brown on 3rd down situations, also Thomas Davis will be more of an 'x-factor' on defense.

Posted by: Mark C | Jan 17, 2011 4:46:25 PM

I have said for a long time that the Panthers have talent and it did not look like the coaches knew how to teach them at the pro level. While only time will tell, if the Panthers put as much effort into the offense as they have the defense, draft well and sign the needed free agents, then Charlotte may indeed have something to look forward to. Please, Mr. Richardson, bring us some offense, we cannot wait forever!!!!!

Posted by: Wayne4304 | Jan 17, 2011 4:53:49 PM

3 of the 4 final playoff teams are in the top 3 of total defense this year. As much as I know we need offense, I am so happy that we will be getting back to the defense that the Panthers once had and other teams feared.

We have a very tough schedule, so I am not sure we get many more wins, but we will be more competitive.

Posted by: Darrell | Jan 17, 2011 5:03:12 PM

NIIIIIIICE!!!!

Posted by: johnboy | Jan 17, 2011 5:04:30 PM

If we could now somehow beat out the Vikings to get Mike Singletary on board for the LB's we will kick some serious butt.

Posted by: Zenmeister | Jan 17, 2011 5:08:03 PM

Great hire - especially since he and Rivera spent five years working together in Philadelphia under Jim Johnson and know each other very well. I am looking forward to the beginnings of a great defense with the collaboration of these two defensive minded guys!

Posted by: DBIGCAT | Jan 17, 2011 5:12:09 PM

Nice, now we just need a quality hire for the Offensive cord job. I really wish they would look at Mcdaniels. Hate him as a person love him calling plays. Can make our garbage look average like he did in Denver.

Posted by: matt | Jan 17, 2011 5:18:39 PM

Trust me they're putting the effort to get the best Offensive Coordinator as well. Rivera stated in his conference that they will be aggressive and innovative on the offensive side of the ball as well. I like the new attitude and hopefully it will translate on the field. The talent is there. Do need some pieces (help), of course. Then again what teams don't.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 17, 2011 5:21:29 PM

YESSSSS i heard he can draw up blitz plays like crazy. all we need now is Mcdaniels an we are set.

Posted by: lawrence | Jan 17, 2011 5:22:50 PM

In Sean McDermott's second game calling the shots his defense gave up 48 points to NO. His D gave up 38 TDs last year and 43 this year. (By comparison the Panthers D gave up 29 last year and 39 this year.)
Just because he calls an aggressive game doesn't mean he can call a good game.
His entire coaching career has been in Philly and they cut him loose.
The only positive thing I see in this hire is that Coach Rivera knows him.
Loved the Rivera hire, but this one worries me.

Posted by: CW | Jan 17, 2011 5:26:30 PM

i just heard this panthers hire BRIAN MURPHY as special teams coach he was the vikings special teams coach last year any truth to this????? HOPE NOT

Posted by: lawrence | Jan 17, 2011 5:29:12 PM

Highly encouraged by this hire.. you can bet your ass by next year if we stay healthy Thomas Davis/Beason will be making plays in the backfield routinely in this system .. should be an exciting D

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Jan 17, 2011 5:29:19 PM

I believe Chudzinski is a much better choice for OC and Rivera is/has been talking with him.

Posted by: DBIGCAT | Jan 17, 2011 5:30:23 PM

@CW
Don't worry buddy.This will be Rivera's defense.

Posted by: Mauzeer | Jan 17, 2011 5:35:05 PM

Having a DC in place is a good step but I have to see who all of the teachers are at the positions before i get exited. Meeks is a good dtarts lets see how they finish.

Posted by: c_boss | Jan 17, 2011 5:36:23 PM

excited*

Posted by: c_boss | Jan 17, 2011 5:37:23 PM

I will wait till we see what really happens before coming to conclusions. I for one didn't think that Jake could take us to the Superbowl, but he did.

We'll see. I don't want us to just go to the last game of the year, I want us to win it.

Posted by: SSGPat | Jan 17, 2011 5:38:31 PM

As an Eagles fan, I wish McDermott the best. He desperately needed to get out from Jim Johnson's shadow. Bleedinggreennation.com and The700level.com have some reasonable and rational explanations of the circumstances surrounding McDermott's termination. They give a good rundown of both the good and bad things you can expect.

Posted by: Eagles Fan in Charlotte | Jan 17, 2011 5:40:29 PM

As of last week the Chud hire for OC was imminent..... I guess that "report" was false. I hope not, IMO, it still would be a good hire.

Posted by: tdubs74 | Jan 17, 2011 5:41:30 PM

Darin-

I see where Studesville (sp.) was retained by Fox to coach the RB's in Denver. So what's the latest on Jim Skipper? Did he join Coach Fox's staff in another capicity?

TW

Posted by: tdubs74 | Jan 17, 2011 5:58:23 PM

@DBIGCAT - probably be Chudzinski as the OC, Jay Gruden as the QB's coach..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Jan 17, 2011 6:07:53 PM

@Wayne4304 - JR has very little to do with hiring asst coaches, that will be Rivera & Hurney, Morrison.. You still have 4 teams in the playoff's, and 4 teams that were just eliminated. Several coaches will be available within the next week.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Jan 17, 2011 6:11:29 PM

I hope Rivera is able to continue to hire is own guys. Hurney needs to step back and let him run the show. He deserves the shot.

Posted by: Kelso | Jan 17, 2011 6:14:30 PM

Chudzinski is the OC...great hire..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Jan 17, 2011 6:16:58 PM

I agree with lawrence. This hire worries me.
The Eagles allowed at least 24 points in 11 games this season. Under McDermott, Philadelphia allowed 377 points this season, the most since 1974.
I guess I'm not sold on why he is such a fantastic hire.

Posted by: Terry | Jan 17, 2011 6:30:16 PM