« Panthers looking at Gruden? | Main | Williams: Gruden can help Panthers »

January 16, 2011

Report: Panthers talking to McDermott

The Philadelphia Eagles didn't want him, but the Carolina Panthers might.

Fired by the Eagles Saturday night, former defensive coordinator Sean McDermott is lining up an interview with the Panthers according to Fox's Jay Glazer.

McDermott worked five years with new Panthers coach Ron Rivera in Philadelphia, but his once-hot prospects dimmed quickly the second half of this season.

The Panthers haven't made any announcements yet, but they're working furiously behind the scenes, in hopes of having their staff complete this week.

The NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora linked the Panthers to former San Francisco head coach Mike Singletary, though he's also talking to Minnesota. The Panthers have discussed bringing coordinator Ron Meeks back in a lesser role, likely as a secondary coach. That's the job McDermott had in Philadelphia before becoming coordinator.

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on January 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM | Permalink

Comments

I'm liking McDermott ,more than Singletary he's to rah-rah for the NFL + SF's defense's don't hav'nt been impressive at all.

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 16, 2011 12:09:06 PM

Would be really happy if we hired Mcdermott!!!

Posted by: matt | Jan 16, 2011 12:21:26 PM

Singletary was a very good defensive coach for San Francisco, before he became head coach. I think that would be a good move.

McDermott would be interesting. You always feel uneasy if someone who was just fired for doing (perceptively) a poor job is getting hired for the same responsibilities, but we don't exactly know what role he is being interviewed for. If it is for DC, it wouldn't necessarily be a poor choice.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jan 16, 2011 12:23:28 PM

Singletary was being pursued to be LB coach I thought. That would be be a good move IMO. I'm not too keen on McDermott he didn't impress me with Philly's D, but who knows maybe it was the personnel!

Posted by: John | Jan 16, 2011 12:31:33 PM

Rivera as HC, McDermott as DC, Singletary as LB coach, Meeks as secondary coach.

someone please tell me our defense would not just kill teams.

Posted by: Darrell | Jan 16, 2011 12:32:33 PM

everybbody here is jus a bandwagon fan, hoppin on cuz we got rivera

Posted by: toomuchsauce | Jan 16, 2011 12:44:55 PM

It's still comes down to the players! Players make coaches great, great coaches make players good!

Posted by: figment | Jan 16, 2011 1:04:18 PM

Mcdermott didn't have a whole lot to work with in Philly. He should come here. What a tandem guys! Mcdermott DC, Singletary LB coach and Meeks secondary...wow!

Posted by: paul | Jan 16, 2011 1:20:25 PM

McDermott was running McDermott's defense in Philly. Here, he'd be running Rivera's defense. Big difference.

Posted by: J. | Jan 16, 2011 1:27:32 PM

"The Eagles allowed 377 points this season, the most since 1974." -AP

Can anybody say what exactly McDermott has done to make him a good choice for DC? I thought it was laughable when some suggested he should be a head coaching candidate. Maybe he'd be a good choice as DC though obviously the Eagles no longer thought so.

Posted by: CW | Jan 16, 2011 1:28:08 PM

McDermott. A Very Big Yes!

Posted by: FutureCatsWins | Jan 16, 2011 1:45:18 PM

I take it back. I'm an idiot!

Posted by: toomuchsauce | Jan 16, 2011 1:49:06 PM

Would like to see him here.. He plays an aggressive Defense something we could def need. upfront.

Posted by: Prowler | Jan 16, 2011 1:53:53 PM

Not so sure about McDermott. I like Singltary but how long does Green have on his contract with Greenbay? love to have him as LB coach.

Posted by: MBPantfan | Jan 16, 2011 2:07:30 PM

Singletary, McDermott and Meeks means HUGE DEFENSE. Now, what about the OFFENSE! haha

Posted by: paul | Jan 16, 2011 2:13:07 PM

No one can replace Jim Johnson, but some Philly fans along the media thought he could. Having undersize DLinemen doesn't help facing power running and pass blocking team.

Andy R like speed rushers who are good pass rushers, but decent at best vs the run. They need to have him stay away with the personnel, defensive side of the ball that is.

Can we get an article of them speaking with Josh McDaniels hehe?

Posted by: oh wow | Jan 16, 2011 2:17:09 PM

Watching the Packers game last night, I couldn't help but think about Kevin Greene as our defensive coordinator! I'm not sure what his relationship has been with JR since leaving. I know there was a lot of tension after that 1996 season. I know he later resigned with us in 1998 after playing 97 with the 49ers. I think all is cool?

Posted by: Clay | Jan 16, 2011 2:54:41 PM

I've got an idea, how about Ron Meeks for DC.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 16, 2011 3:05:22 PM

"I've got an idea, how about Ron Meeks for DC".

Nope, when has Meeks ever had a top5 defense? In Indy his Ds were subpar and unspectacular. Plus, he NEVER blitzes. This team needs excitement and Rivera has promised to bring that with a more aggressive style of play.

That's not Ron Meeks. Ron Meeks is of the same philosophy as John Fox; rush 4, cover well, and hope for the best.

That sucks and is boring to watch. We don't need to venture from the 4-3 defense, but we need blitzes and better schemes overall.

Posted by: oh wow | Jan 16, 2011 3:14:05 PM

Just blitzing is not the answer. To be a good defense you have to be able to rush 4, drop 7, and still get pressure. Dont get me wrong, blitz here and there, but people thinking a coach who blitzes every other play will the answer are very wrong!

Posted by: Ben | Jan 16, 2011 4:10:59 PM

Plus, Rivera will shore up the defense. What we need to be talking about is the next OC. Speaking of OC, who have we interviewed, i haven't seen anything new about it!!

Posted by: Ben | Jan 16, 2011 4:17:04 PM

Singletary, Meeks, McDermott, Josh McDaniels OC, now were talking. I like the fire Singletary and McDaniels would bring. I want to see some emotion next year. I still vote for a 3/4 Defense and West Coast Offense. I want to be entertained next year.

Posted by: Kelso | Jan 16, 2011 4:19:57 PM

any news is good news at this point it would be nice to have a staff that people would be excited about

Posted by: delusions of grandeur | Jan 16, 2011 4:38:27 PM

oh my god! we hired a head coach who is not afraid to hire strong assistant coaches.

Posted by: joe cool | Jan 16, 2011 6:13:39 PM

Maybe Carolina can lure Kevin Greene away from Green Bay to be their LB coach.....probably never happen but that would be awesome. That dude is intense.

Posted by: huntergates | Jan 16, 2011 6:28:53 PM