« Panthers ask permission to interview Fewell | Main | Panthers add a third candidate »

January 04, 2011

Richardson discusses Fox exit, next coach

It had been nine years since Panthers owner Jerry Richardson stepped on a podium for a formal press conference to announce the hiring of John Fox.

His appearance with president Danny Morrison and general manager Marty Hurney on Tuesday came a day after Fox's tenure ended with a 2-14 finish.

Richardson revealed no earth-moving news, but there were plenty of interesting nuggets.

Richardson said the decision to let Fox go was fairly straightforward: “The facts are in nine years we had three winning seasons and we failed to have two winning seasons back-to-back.”

Richardson pointed to a clear difference in philosophy with Fox. He indicated part of the reason for cutting ties with a dozen veterans last offseason was the belief that that was the only way Fox and his staff would play young players.

Asked why he didn't fire Fox before the season, Richardson pointed to the $11.4 million that Fox and his staff were due – the 5th-highest salary pool in the league, he said – and indicated he didn't want to pay two coaching staffs.

"You know, we are running a business here," Richardson said. "And people don't like to see their ticket prices go up."

As for the next head coach, Richardson and Hurney suggested the Panthers likely would be looking for an up-and-coming assistant coach, as they did with two of their previous three hires.

"The last time that we did this we went the assistant coach route and I think that it worked well," Hurney said. "We went from 1-15 and we were in the Super Bowl in two years. I don't think you limit yourself to any avenue. But I do think that everyone pulls off their past experiences.

"The most important thing is to get somebody that has the qualities that we're looking for that can come in and help us win games."

Richardson also said a look at this year's playoff teams shows the model of hiring assistant coaches can work.

Richardson said neither he nor Hurney had had any contact with Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

The Panthers' owner said the Panthers were unlikely to trade the top pick.

"We're looking for someone that can be a top-flight player and hopefully make us a better team," Richardson said. "And I have no doubt if you have the first pic, we're likely to do that."

Richardson, who co-chairs the owners' negotiating committee, said he was not optimistic that a new collective bargaining agreement could be reached without a work stoppage.

I would say (owners) are the most united we've ever been,” he said.

Taking a pen and a notepad bearing the NFL shield, Richardson drew a pie chart showing players took home $2.6 billion of the $3.6 billion in new revenues.

The 74-year-old Richardson said he has not thought about any type of succession plan for when he retires. Richardson, who received a heart transplant in February 2009, at one point joked with a reporter that he probably had a younger heart than the reporter's.

I'm as enthusiastic as I've ever been,” Richardson said.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Wow, I’ve never seen a pistol whipping on camera that didn’t end with an arrest. How long until Darin issues a “I stand by my sources” statement? Hey, at least Jerry said he liked Joe’s stuff.

By the way, since Darin has said all along that all Armanti needs is a new coach to help him get on the field, how come he didn’t ask Marty whether the new coach will be able to field punts since Armanti still couldn't do it by week 17?

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 4, 2011 1:03:57 PM

Wow, but don't call Jerry cheap. can you imagine Jerry Jones saying such a thing.

Did any of you wonder stud reporters ask why he can't sign players before the CBA when other teams are signing players.

If Luck watched this PC, he just signed up for classes this spring at Stanford

Posted by: jbw | Jan 4, 2011 1:07:17 PM

Richardson said this is a business, well if i started a business that put out a product that was as bad as the one he put on the field i'd be out of business,,furthermore Richardson said he wanted the younger players to play and Fox would rather play veterans maybe cause the younger players aren't very good as proven by the great year the Panthers just had

Posted by: rke | Jan 4, 2011 1:16:27 PM

What is it like to let a 74 year old, heart transplant, overweight man take your lunch money.

Darin, he straight up called you a liar.

Did anyone else notice that he was "throwing game" at "Morgan?" (that is the best thing about getting old, you stop caring)

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 1:20:12 PM

The players will roll over for the owners before march ,because they don't want to miss any paychecks adn lose there insurance especially the players who are due off season surgery's + The players know how the fans reacted after the NHL/MLB strikes not good to them.
The owners are the owner's and the players work for them an 18 game schedule is just more $$$ for each side + they only have 2 preseason games in which the fans don't come to anyway.
Just ask Kevin Mawai former NFLPU president who was hardlining the owners...YOu know what happened...He got black balled out of the league...not 1 contract offer and you can bet this will happen if the players don't sign the new CBA...Where they gonna play?...Canada! ha...they'll sign the CBA bet on it!

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 4, 2011 1:21:02 PM

This presser to a loyal PSL holder was shocking. Jerry's rants regarding mobile phones and email, his near harassment of Morgan from the local FOX station and his undermining of the media was almost disturbing. His rebuttal of Godell's optimism on the CBA and his wandering thoughts were odd at best. I don't want to say Jerry sounded senile, but that's how it came across. I think this did more to harm perception of the team from fans than it did to help them. At this point I'm not really sure how I feel about this organizations leadership.

Posted by: catdawgman | Jan 4, 2011 1:21:16 PM

Way to let him of the hook guys. The "big" city news media is laughing at you.

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 1:22:17 PM

And one last thing , they said that hiring a up and coming asst. coach is a proven formula well isn't that what they did with Fox ? I'd say 3 winning seasons in 9 isn't a winning formula. It's time to go get a proven winning head coach, otherwise i don't see any reason for Panther fan to waste there hard earned money going to watch this team

Posted by: rke | Jan 4, 2011 1:22:24 PM

If JR "THINKS" that hiring Rivera or Fewell will sell tickets to a "very hostile" fan base after a 2-14 season?..can you say "TV blackouts" He needs to sell the team if he is that delusional!

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 4, 2011 1:24:33 PM

Actually, the "big city" reporters are standing around in a circle taunting DG while he is getting kicked around.

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 4, 2011 1:28:52 PM

Darin, that was like watching Nelson from The Simpsons. HA-HA!

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 1:31:40 PM

Was it just me or did anyone else hear Mike P. in the background doing his best Homer Simpson impression when Jerry held up Darin's article and then completely dismiss it? It's a long way from Marty saying Darin had it right about Jake's contract.

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 4, 2011 1:34:20 PM

Doh!

Posted by: Mike P | Jan 4, 2011 1:35:45 PM

I'm just very worried about the 2011 season (if, indeed, there is one). I read nothing from the press conference that tells me that it won't be "business as usual" for the Panthers. Everyone wants something different, I realize, but it all starts with a PROVEN coach--not some no-name that we HOPE may be able to motivate the team. I'm worried that Steve Smith may have played his last game as a Panther, and that DeAngelo Williams won't be back. If these two players are no longer Panthers, just sell the farm--it's over. I mean, really--Steve Smith is the ONLY "name" on the Panthers' team, and if we let him go, it's going to be a long DECADE! I just want to see some fire in the ranks again like it was when Jake and Smitty were connecting, when Muhsin was at his peak, and when DeAngelo was running over (literally) people! I love JStew and Mike Goodson, but PLEASE don't let DeAngelo go! And please, Smitty, hang in there until we get a QB that can get you the ball! I don't even know how long we have been looking for the "second receiver" to back up Smitty, but hang on, Steve--it's bound to happen soon!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Jan 4, 2011 1:38:25 PM

We will not have a consistent winner until Hurney is gone. His cart is tied to Clausen, and he won't admit failure and find a real franchise QB. Clausen's best season possible will be 9-7 if all the stars line up for him. We need help. It's knocking at the door, but the egos involved are praising themselve so loudly that no one is answering.

Posted by: PantherFancier | Jan 4, 2011 1:40:11 PM

Darin,

Don't worry about it, we all get spoken to like chidren...it was just that I was 5 years old the last time someone spoke to me like that.

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 1:42:11 PM

Hey Darin, if you're having problems with your twitter account, just ask Jerry how to do it. I'm sure he'll be happy to help straighten you out...again.

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 4, 2011 1:46:10 PM

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 4, 2011 1:46:10 PM

Darin,

Don't worry about the lecture...I'm sure off camera Jerry said he was just kidding...try the veal!

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 1:50:48 PM

That wasn't Nelson, it was me. Ha!Ha!

Posted by: Adam Schefter | Jan 4, 2011 2:00:00 PM

Things I learned from Jerry Richardson’s (JR) Press Conference:

1-JR can not operate a cell phone or e-mail but is running an NFL franchise in the year 2011. (Yes, running it into the ground still counts.)
2-JR is a creepy, old man who makes female reporters move closer to him so he can see them better. (Perverted, Yes!)
3-The only thing that fans can do to force a change is to quit buying tickets. Sponsors and “sellout” crowds are what matters to JR.
4-JR is looking for someone that fits “his system.” We’ll with only 4 out of 15 winning seasons; he should really be changing “his system.”
5-The reporters at the conference are a bunch of JR lackeys. We know why he fired Fox and who cares. Ask a real question!
6-Luck should stay in college.

Posted by: joe | Jan 4, 2011 2:07:05 PM

Come on Darin, either admit your sources may have provided speculative information or defend them and stand by your story! Personally, I'd prefer to believe your sources and that Jerry is bluffing.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 4, 2011 2:20:27 PM

Ok, the only thing this press conference did was make be very wary of the next few seasons. Let me preface this with, I have been with Panthers through good and bad, will stay with them forever, they are my team. However, I am getting the sense that for Jerry Richardson, the Carolina Panthers are a business, and that is it. I’m not so sure that he cares about success anymore. I am glad he has saved us money to this point so that we are primed to make some moves. I don’t think we will though. He will not sign any of our FA’s because of the lack of a CBA. Other teams who care less about the CBA will then snatch up our best players. Jerry does not care what the fan base wants in a new coach. Almost all of the fan base says go with an OC. Jerry is so focused on the CBA and doing things the way he always has. Ok, he himself said that not putting together back to back winning seasons, and lack of playoff appearances were the demise of Fox, yet now he is going to hire another defensive minded coach in the mold of Fox? I don’t know. I am with the Panthers through thick and thin, but it doesn’t look too promising as of today. Heres hoping that Jerry does the right thing for the Carolina Panthers TEAM and not just the right thing for the Carolina Panthers business.

Posted by: Josh | Jan 4, 2011 3:04:11 PM

Posted by: Josh | Jan 4, 2011 3:05:40 PM

How long will it be before deadspin releases photos from "Morgan's" phone of Jerry's "little Jerry?"

Posted by: Steven | Jan 4, 2011 3:13:35 PM