« Clausen ready to work with Shula | Main | Panthers like looks of Super Bowl plan »

January 23, 2011

Senior bowl blog: UNC corner to address agent scandal

MOBILE, Ala. – Kendric Burney knows the questions are coming.

When the North Carolina cornerback sits down with NFL teams this week during Senior Bowl activities, Burney will be prepared to discuss the events that led to his six-game suspension this past season for accepting improper agent-related benefits.

“Everybody kind of knows what went on now. So now they're going to hear our side of the story and everything will work out for the good,” Burney said Sunday.

“I'll tell my story. Some will believe it, some might not. But I believe that me telling the truth and getting it off my shoulders will set me free for the rest of my career.”

Burney took trips last offseason to Atlanta and Las Vegas with former UNC player Chris Hawkins, whom the NCAA viewed as an agent. The NCAA ruled that Burney received $1,333 in benefits on the trips last offseason, as well as an earlier trip to California.

Burney, one of 13 players who missed the season opener because of agent- and academic-related investigations, was ordered to repay $575.19 to charity. He was held out of another game because of an academic issue.

“We definitely didn't do the right things that we needed to do. Maybe we shouldn't have went on certain trips,” Burney said. “But I don't feel like we did anything wrong.”

Tar Heels safety Da'Norris Searcy, North Carolina's other player in Mobile, was held out for three games.

Burney, who had two interceptions and two pass breakups in six games after returning, said he holds no ill will toward UNC coach Butch Davis or his staff.

“At the end of the day, we're upset that we didn't get to come back and do what we wanted to do as a team,” Burney said. “But we're happy that everybody is still going to get the chance to play football.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 23, 2011 at 07:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

sounds like an idiot to me.

Posted by: dusty | Jan 23, 2011 8:21:04 PM

go fuck yourself dusty

Posted by: tank | Jan 23, 2011 8:33:01 PM

If you admit that things weren't done right , how can you say that you didn't do anything wrong. Dusty your right, "Sounds like an idiot to me"

Posted by: Scooter | Jan 23, 2011 8:41:05 PM

Hey Tank- sources tell me that UNC-CH does not teach any humility courses.
Based on his quote "Maybe we shouldn't have went on certain trips," Burney said.... he missed English class as well.

Posted by: tank is testy | Jan 23, 2011 10:43:27 PM

So this is the guy who admitted cheating in class, correct? And he wasn't kicked out of school? UNC-CHeat: To seem rather than to be. The criminals (Hawkins) and the inmates are truly in charge over at kerliner. Pathetic!

Posted by: Bradley Jackson | Jan 24, 2011 8:29:38 AM

If I am UNC, I am a little worried about his positioning here. Sounds to me like he is waiting for the right time to SING! How he finds zero fault in his actions is expected. There are millions of the same kind, same thought process in jail with a low percentage of acceptance of the truth.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 24, 2011 11:00:07 AM

amazing how this guy gets suspended for 6 games for having $1333 worth of "things" given to him by his friend/former team mate.
Yet Cam Newtons family got upwards of $200,000 and he got suspended for a couple hours. Funny how this NCAA suspension thing works if the situation favors their moneyline. Aint that right Ohio State???

Posted by: braff-fromda-burg | Jan 24, 2011 11:33:49 PM

very interesting article, i always wanted to write my own blog but i don't have much time
regards