« Panthers hire Proehl | Main | Panthers hire Georgia LBs coach »

February 02, 2011

Jaws: Do not flush Clausen yet

DALLAS, Texas – ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski said the Panthers should not give up on quarterback Jimmy Clausen, whose rookie struggles Jaworski attributed in part to being thrust into a starting role immediately.

Clausen had the NFL's worst passer rating and went 1-9 as a starter last season, when he was pressed into duty after Matt Moore struggled and was later lost to a season-ending shoulder injury.

“It's very difficult. I wouldn't give up on Jimmy,” Jaworski said Wednesday while visiting the Super Bowl media center. “I know people probably expected more. But you've got to look at what happened throughout the year – the running game, the injuries, all those factors came into play. The defense wasn't where it should have been,” forcing the Panthers to play from behind nearly every game.

Clausen completed 52.5 percent of his passes for 1,558 yards with nine interceptions and three touchdowns, including none to a wide receiver.

Jaworski, a color analyst on ESPN's Monday Night Football crew, said Clausen needed to be more consistent. But he downplayed Clausen's inability to complete many deep throws, saying only 10 percent of pass attempts in the NFL are longer than 20 yards.

“People aren't throwing the ball downfield. It's becoming a dink-and-dunk league,” Jaworski said. “And when you're struggling offensive line-wise, the ball's gotta come out quick. So you're taking a lot of three- and five-step drops.”

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said last week he wants to create competition for Clausen. If Clausen maintains the starting job, Jaworski predicted first-year coach Ron Rivera would take steps to protect him.

“I think what Ron will do, he'll evaluate that position,” said Jaworski, who led Philadelphia to the Super Bowl during the 1980 season. “He knows they've gotta run the football. I know what Ron's template will be: It will be a ball-control offense, play good defense. So he's not going to ask him to go out and win the game.”

Jaworski applauded the Panthers for hiring Rivera. He said the former San Diego and Chicago defensive coordinator is not flashy, but is a fundamentally sound coach who is well respected throughout the league.

“He's about steak, not sizzle,” Jaworski said. “Ron will put a football team together.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on February 2, 2011 at 08:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

I'd take back Kerry Collins and Billy Volek in a heartbeat over Jimmy. Need two veterans to play qb. Want to go 2 and 14 play jimmy again. Going to find out how serious jerry is about winning. You want my season ticket money? Go out a get 2 veteran nfl quality qb's.

Posted by: joe cool | Feb 2, 2011 8:50:36 PM

I think Jaws is wrong on this one. The reason they played from behind is because the offense couldn't score, not because the defense couldn't get the other team off the field. He might have been drinking too much kool-aid when he was talking about Carolina.

Posted by: cobrabitn | Feb 2, 2011 9:40:06 PM

That is so funny to hear someone think the world revolves around their season ticket money.....The stadium holds a lot more seats than one. And those of us who don't have a season ticket have supported the team just as much as you and I for one don't care if you have a season ticket or not.

Posted by: lakejamescat | Feb 2, 2011 9:43:53 PM

Not sure what Jaws was watching on Sunday but I seen an idiot out there wearing a #2 jersey because that's how he plays...like #2. Jenny Clausen hands down is the worst QB and not sure why the Panthers wanted him. He didn't do squat at ND and won't do squat here. Go scramble around and throw it out of bounds...better yet when it's 3rd and 15 throw it for 4 yards like you know how to do, that is when don't throw a pick or fumble the snap. maybe your toe is better...yeah that's what the problem was. BAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA JENNY CLAUSEN SUCKS

Posted by: Pat Daddy | Feb 2, 2011 10:01:14 PM

Jenny Clausen? That's a mature insult.

I'm not ready to give up on Clausen, but he's definitely on a short leash. We need a veteran QB presence on this team, and not Brian St. Pierre. Bring in somebody with EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 2, 2011 10:35:49 PM

Did Jaws really blame the defense for Jimmys struggles? Uh, no son! The defenses problems were because of Jimmy! Keep your "Jaw" shut if you're not going to bring anything useful to the table.

Posted by: Darin is an idiot | Feb 2, 2011 10:36:19 PM

What does the defense "not being where it should've been" have to do with the Jimmy firing the ball into receivers' ankles, or at camera operators?

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 2, 2011 10:36:44 PM

@ lakejamescat - good post..!! Most of the negative bloggers on here, don't have a clue.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Feb 2, 2011 10:39:04 PM

I respect Jaworski immensely, but we should trade whatever it takes to either get Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb.

Posted by: Authority | Feb 2, 2011 10:47:16 PM

No offense to Ron Jaworski, but I doubt he actually follows this team to "know" what kind of offense Rivera's going to run and crap like that. I agree in sense to not just trash Clausen, but a lot of times when those guys on ESPN talk about small market teams like us, they don't always have 100% facts; to me this is a case in point.

Posted by: Philly | Feb 2, 2011 11:25:08 PM

Jimmy Clausen will be, in a best case scenario, a mediocre QB. Its just tough to move forward with him, we should allow him to compete a be good backup and then try to be a descent starter. He was fed to the wolves this year with a banged up O-Line, lots of rookie receivers (the only rookie QB and two rookie wide receivers to start in a game), no tight end, and only a pretty good run game.

Posted by: JamesT | Feb 2, 2011 11:58:53 PM

pardon me for assuming, but i would venture to say that mr. jaworski knows more about football and the way things are done in the nfl than anyone who would be posting on this article does...

Posted by: Ed Teach | Feb 3, 2011 12:06:08 AM

If you look at all the injuries on the offensive line nobody would of stood a chance at QB. Also Jimmy also struggled his first year at ND also. I do think we need to bring in a veteran QB for Jimmy to learn from. Im thinking Vince Young

Posted by: colby cain | Feb 3, 2011 12:07:52 AM

Posted by: colby cain | Feb 3, 2011 12:07:52 AM

Jimmy's inability to move the ball down field; made Carolina's D to become the #1 team on the field the most. Of course it's going to falter. Jaws is an idiot.

Posted by: Nate | Feb 3, 2011 12:42:03 AM

Well, why listen to a man that might have seen 4 Panther halves last season?

Also, even if you do not throw the long ball, you need the THREAT! Otherwise corners can play to much of a press coverage making the "dink-n-dunk" passes much harder to complete.

Plus, it keeps the safeties honest or the run plays will suffer as well.

Posted by: Thorrez | Feb 3, 2011 2:57:17 AM

I'll put more stock in Jaw's observations on Jimmy and why he struggled than many of the cry baby Panthers fans that truely have no clue when it comes to football. Most of these negative cry babies are just repeating what some other negative cry baby stated about Jimmy, it's the bandwagon mentality.

Anyone with half a brain could understand it's way too soon to give up on Jimmy. Most of them constantly defend Armanti Edwards stating he hasn't had enough time in the league yet to give up on, that it takes time at the WR spot, but they don't want to cut Jimmy the same slack. They must think it only takes a couple of games at the QB spot. What a bunch of knuckleheads!!

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Feb 3, 2011 4:24:08 AM

Typical observations from afar. As many people have said here.
JAWS Your an idiot.

So all of you with the short term memory out there.. HOW MANY MORE GAMES WILL IT TAKE? Clausen did not show a glimpse of good. When the running game was better at the end of the season and "D" playing well(despite what Morons from miles away say) he still could not put a drive together unless we were down 20points and they were in "prevent" and it was still bad.

If you cannot take this past season and see Clausen might be ready as a backup in 2 to 3 years, then put the beers down and watch.

Posted by: 10-4! | Feb 3, 2011 7:53:12 AM

I look at Jimmy and I look at other rookies and how they played on various not great teams. And the difference I see is no flashes from Jimmy. By that I mean I didn't really see one play that made me think he would eventually be a star in this league. I think we have seen his upside. We have a guy who is a middle of the roader at best. Probably not the worst but never really the best.

I hope we get a good look at Pike this year. He has a much stronger arm and a faster release. Those two things alone make us better at that position.

I also hope we bring a vet to compete and mentor.

Lastly Kolb hasn't shown me anything that makes him worth multiple picks including a first rounder which is Phillys alleged price tag. No thanks.

Posted by: John | Feb 3, 2011 8:25:11 AM

Jaws probably thinks Fox is a great coach too. Ron almost never bashes anyone in his analysis. He doesn't actually point out anything positive Clausen did, just offers up some rather lame excuses for him.

I would rather hear Gruden's opinion on Clausen's full season, but I made up my mind early this year that the kid doesn't have what it takes to be a good QB at this level. His decision making is not fast enough, and he's not a natural leader.

I can't play music, but know what good music sounds like and Jimmy is out of tune.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Feb 3, 2011 8:49:08 AM

I totally agree with John.

Tony Pike before injuring his non throwing forearm his senior year was in the running for the Heisman. Putting up huge numbers (in a spread offense) and winning games. Undefeated regular season, and back to back Big East champions. Being a winner is definitely a trait you want in a quarterback.

Clausen was a loser at ND. And, the Big East may not be the best in college football, but ask Clausen how it felt when he lost at home to UConn, and then got punched in the face by a ND fan at a restaurant afterwards.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 3, 2011 8:49:36 AM

We are in trouble at QB. Poor Clausen has failed and will be laughed/booed off the field. There is no great QB help on the horizon in the draft or FA, although we should try to sign a cheap vet or trade for one without giving up any high picks. Looks like the bottom line is we're stuck with our pathetic joke of a QB.

Posted by: Stumpy | Feb 3, 2011 8:51:38 AM

I agree to give Jimmy a chance. He has to have time to play with a decent offense. Something we have not had in some time now.

None of the rookies that were put in faired well. Brady played poorly his first year and was scared to death that he said he was shaking.

I know one thing I am tired of the QB's no one else wanted or any of the older ones who have been in the league and have not evolved.

When I watched Jake play the year of the SB, the guy was confident and smooth. After that the guy had no confidence. Just don't know what happened. One concussion too many? Fear of getting there and losing again? Something went wrong somewhere.

Posted by: mark | Feb 3, 2011 8:52:47 AM

I like Jaws, I do but like another poster said. you have to understand guys at espn don't want teams play in small markets...he promise you jaws saw no more than 1 or 2 panthers games at most. and he pretty much shows how little he knows about this team by his comments about the defense. The situation jimmy c was put in had nothing to do with him throwing the ball into the standS! when WR's were wide open! or fumbling, or being scared! or missing wide open WR's on a consistant basis....akili smith, jamarcus russel, ryan leaf, brady quin...etc. some times kids talent is mis-evaluated and they simply can't play! period. and I think Jimmy Clausen is in that category. he's not accurate, he has no arm strength, no pocket pressence, he's scared, not a vocal leader, horrific! delivery, doesn't see the whole field, i mean he just has too many...negatives...to be made into a good qb. scrap it up as another hurney bad pick. and get ready for more! until Matt Millan Jr! (hurney) gets fired one day.

Posted by: Cheven | Feb 3, 2011 8:55:42 AM