« Rivera: Smith part of the plans "right now" | Main | NFL giving away trip to scouting combine »

February 11, 2011

Mayock: Be wary of individual workouts

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock urged a word of caution for all those inclined to flip out over Cam Newton's media-only workout.

The reality is, a truer evaluation of the Auburn quarterback comes from film, and despite the work he's doing, Newton still faces a difficult transition to the NFL.

Here's what Mayock had to say about the hype:

On Cam Newton's workout:

"I really didn't need to see the workout, nor do I need to hear about the workout because I can tell you what that workout entails. I've watched five of his game tapes, he's got a classic over-hand delivery, he's got a big arm. You and I in gym shorts at the local high school can throw pretty accurately so I would guarantee you he would look great in a pair of gym shorts, he would throw with accuracy and arm strength. His mechanics are very good but I would also [offer] one cautionary note, and that is the best pro day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best pro day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn't take him in the first round.

"For me, it's not about him throwing in shorts; it's about a lot of other things."

On questions NFL teams will have about Cam Newton:

"A choreographed day like today is fine, but the NFL is not really even allowed to be there so they're looking at the clips, the same that you and I are. They want to see him throw the ball at the Combine with the other quarterbacks, and then they want to see him at the Auburn pro day. And even then, that's really not going to tell the tale because he's going to throw the football beautifully in those controlled environments. To me, there are two issues with this kid. Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun [formation], and if you watch the tape it's basically a very simple offense. One read and either the ball was out or he was out. Can he adapt to, can he process and assimilate a very structured and complex pro offense against a complex pro defense? And secondly, and most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position what kind of kid is he? Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart? Is he a leader of men? All of those things to me are way more important than any workout in shorts."

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on February 11, 2011 at 01:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

How can the Panthers pass on this guy? Seriously, yes there is a high risk/reward, as with any of the prospects. If your going QB, which is our #1 need, your going to take Blaine Gabbert over Newton? Don't think so. Would Fairley or Bowers fill a need and help, sure, the same way Peppers & Jenkins did, but neither one of them, by themselves, will get us to a Superbowl. Newton has that ability to make everyone on the offense better. Our D can be tweaked, we need a playmaker on O! Draft NEWTON!

Posted by: beufordtjustice | Feb 11, 2011 2:03:38 PM

Beuford also thought jimmy clausen was a top 4 pick last year too i'm sure.

Posted by: WILlie | Feb 11, 2011 2:13:50 PM

Stop it with the Newton crap, dude is a poor man's Vince Young with half the smarts. And yes, I do know what that means: Cam is a waterhead.

Posted by: willietfail | Feb 11, 2011 2:31:18 PM

Why would one not take him? Simply... because he is dumb as a rock.

Posted by: Simply put... | Feb 11, 2011 2:32:14 PM

I'd take the CB Peterson before I'd take Newton. And no, it isn't because he's a black QB. This dude is overhyped. Someone is gonna overpay this guy. Just hope it isn't the Panther's

Posted by: DaveT | Feb 11, 2011 2:39:33 PM

Maycock's analysis is dead on. I trust his judgement more than any scout today. He definitely has Kiper & McShay whipped.

Newton at #1 would be more of a travesty than Edwards in round 3. Neither will be starting on an NFL roster anytime soon.

Posted by: Doclotus | Feb 11, 2011 2:49:26 PM

This Cam Newton talk is "Let Armanti play QB" 2.0

Just because Auburn went undefeated doesn't mean Newton will have success in the NFL. I am not a fan of Fairely because of his character issues, but I'd much rather have Fairely and McNabb or Kolb than Newton and any DT.

Posted by: Non-Hunter | Feb 11, 2011 2:52:43 PM

Newton was good for Auburn because of the strong O-line. It was one read and go. As a VT alum and fan, I watched Matt Ryan (formerly of BC), pick apart a good VT defense because he was calm under pressure, went through his progressions and most often made the correct read. This is why he has been successful for the Falcons. I have not seen Newton to this. That is where the big questions reside.

Posted by: Read the Defense | Feb 11, 2011 2:56:37 PM

Go with Fairley, then next year (2012), we may have another shot at Luck. We can trade Clausen to the Iceland FishHooks for some blubber and a bag of oily pooo. We will be robbed however in that deal.

Posted by: Major Minor | Feb 11, 2011 3:02:40 PM

Can someone PLEASE show me this kids grades in school, SAT score, something , anything. All I hear is how dumb Cam is...Really how do we know ?

Posted by: e | Feb 11, 2011 3:02:40 PM

I am hopeful for the the day that I can leave rooting for the Panthers behind. I have been with them since day one and endured a host of bad decisions throughout the years. I not going to argue with ignorance, it is beneath me. I am becoming a fan of the team that drafts CAM NEWTON! So please do not draft him because I am tried of having to root for losers just because I from the area.

Posted by: moboythunder | Feb 11, 2011 3:04:47 PM

Character issues or not, as long as the players conduct themselves in a manner to keep them eligible on the field in college or NFL, all that other stuff/rumors and allegations mean nothing. We (the Panthers) are supposed to be in the business of winning football games. Since that has not been happening the last few years we need to take some risk because the All-American guy, pro-style QBs we have picked recently have not panned out. Besides with Newton's running ability and our running backs (who we should try and keep) we can have the running game Carolina is accustom to. The end result will be a stacked box and easy pickings for Steve Smith.

Posted by: JC | Feb 11, 2011 3:16:03 PM

Dumb? I give you dumb. A 6' 5" blaze of speed with linebacker strength, super arm, from Atlanta and cannot make it into Georgia?
At Florida he forged his name to a paper of another student and was caught. Reported to the student honor court, he then bought a paper on the web to submit to the same class and professor. He also stole a computer from the room of another student. Before student justice ground down he left to attend Blinn Junior College. Ever heard of it? I think not. Then he went to Auburn where he played football this semester. If he attended any class, much less passed any class It would be a shock.
Football builds character.

Posted by: John Cochrane | Feb 11, 2011 3:18:33 PM

NAILED IT .....there's a player in college who will perform AP like numbers when he gets into the NFL....
AJ GREEN is for real....watch out....this kid will explode....we gotta give him a look!

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Feb 11, 2011 3:20:01 PM

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Feb 11, 2011 3:20:01 PM

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Feb 11, 2011 3:20:01 PM

And with the first pick in the 2011 draft the Carolina Panthers select....

Posted by: zach | Feb 11, 2011 3:32:46 PM

Don't know how he will respond to complicated defenses and offenses. No one knows that about ANY college QB.

But, I AM sure about his being a great leader. If it turns out that they do their homework and find that he is willing to put in the hours to learn the game -- study film, stay after practice with his receivers, etc .-- then I would take him with the first pick.

Posted by: drfritz | Feb 11, 2011 3:37:35 PM

The Panthers need to give Newton serious consideration. They need a physical presence at QB, not the paper mache Jimmy Clausen. Cam would bring a Roethlisberger like presence.

Posted by: Al | Feb 11, 2011 3:45:33 PM

The Panthers are too chicken to draft Newton. It really amazes me the excuses some folks have come up with to keep Newton away. I bet they were the same ones saying Vick shouldn't be here, give Jake a chance, & who's Josh Freeman? lol

Posted by: D.W.G. | Feb 11, 2011 3:54:43 PM

Has anyone noticed how tiny his ears are compared to his head? Bahahahahaahahaha that's why we don't need him first off, second is HE IS SCAM NEWTON and is a CHEAT...send him to new england with Bill

Posted by: Pat Daddy | Feb 11, 2011 3:56:11 PM

Offense first! Take AJ Green (WR). Panthers have to pickup a veteran QB via free agency or trade. Wait to draft a NT in later rounds. (I like Fairley's explosiveness, but he does not satisfy our most pressing need...offense).

Posted by: RalphieBoy | Feb 11, 2011 4:06:00 PM

I think the Eagles might trade Kolb for our first pick. I realize they want two first round picks but that isn't going to happen with us or any other team. If I'm right, would Kolb be a better value for us than any other QB, DT or any player in the draft? I would not want to be in Hurney's shoes in this draft, since the chance of error is higher than any draft in recent memory.

Posted by: SC Ken | Feb 11, 2011 4:07:09 PM

He is a Heisman Trophy Winner!! Nuff said! All of you who are hating on this young man just b/c you don't have his skill set. They said the same about Tim Tebow before he was drafted.

Posted by: Hater Hater | Feb 11, 2011 4:18:02 PM

Say Whatever you like...newton is better than anyone on the roster of the panthers right now. Yrs from now my guess is we panthers will regret taking newton. Better than Tebow, Better than Young, this guy will be a NFL Star...might not be this year but when he get his shot watch out. For all of those who call him dumb and a cheat, get a life already.

Posted by: rcj214 | Feb 11, 2011 4:19:38 PM