« Miss the chat with Darin Gantt? Replay here | Main | Clausen: Experience will help »

February 25, 2011

UNC players lament what might have been

INDIANAPOLIS

North Carolina has 12 players represented at the NFL scouting combine.

That's more than Auburn, more than Oregon, more than any other school in the country.

Too bad the Tar Heels didn't have all of them last season.

Among the dozen UNC players in attendance here, seven missed games as a result of the NCAA investigation that rocked Butch Davis' program last fall.

One of those players – wideout Greg Little – met with the media Friday and took responsibility for bringing NCAA investigators to Chapel Hill to look into the agent-funded trip Little and defensive tackle Marvin Austin took to South Beach.

It was tough to know that essentially I started the whole investigation. And that was one of the things that was very bearing and very hard to deal with,” Little said. “It was something that will haunt me forever to know that my team could have won the national championship (had) I played along with them.”

Little said former UNC assistant John Blake, who was fired for his role in the scandal, was not involved in any of his issues.

Asked if there was anything more UNC could have done to educate its players, Little said: “If you don't know, ask. And that would have alleviated a lot of problems.”

But there's some accountability on my part, as well,” he added. “I knew what I was doing was wrong. For me to be that naive and ignorant about it was stupidity on my part.”

Tar Heels quarterback T.J. Yates said he couldn't help but think about what could have been last season.

I'd challenge anybody to go look somewhere else for some worse adversity in a team and a program because we had it from all angles as far as NCAA and academic stuff,” Yates said.

And on top of that, we had a ton of injuries. There were times we were stretching our depth charts in the middle of games to fifth-string running back. Coach Davis would look on the sideline the asking if anyone could run down on kickoff. It got pretty hectic at some points. But I don't think any other team in the country went through what we did and we still salvaged a very good season out of it.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on February 25, 2011 at 02:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

So Greg knew it was wrong but did it anyway; that's pretty irresponsible on his part.
On the flip side, it shows Butch educated the players, some just made bad choices.
Now I'm just waiting on the NCAA to make a decision; they cleared Ramsey after first stating he was permanently ineligible.
I can't figure the NCAA out.

Posted by: AB | Feb 25, 2011 2:56:40 PM

Thats a Tarhole for ya

Posted by: Pappa Panther | Feb 25, 2011 3:20:52 PM

Really? A national championship in football? UNC? And all because YOU didn't play? Puts me in mind of Romans 12:3. "Do Not Think of Yourself More Highly Than You Ought."

Posted by: Rex Kwando | Feb 25, 2011 3:40:34 PM

I agree Rex. Probably not a national championship, BUT with the amount of talent that was missing, certainly a solid top 10 team, maybe top 5. The Heels were missing at least 2 All American candidates the whole season. If only......

Posted by: The truth | Feb 25, 2011 4:26:57 PM

Posted by: The truth | Feb 25, 2011 4:26:57 PM

UNC will forever be known now as UNC-CHeat.

Posted by: John Blake | Feb 25, 2011 4:32:32 PM

Top 10? Top 5 team? Is there anybody over in Chapel Hill who possess even a shred reasonable sanity? Or are all of you as demented pathological liars as your coach, AD and Chancellor are?

Hey TJ - Boo Hoo! Boo Hoo! Your teammates and coaches got caught cheating! We are supposed to have sympathy for you?

Posted by: Chief Dances with Sheep | Feb 25, 2011 8:55:46 PM

Someone needs to remind the coaches and players (even media) over at UNC that adversity is usually not something that you do to yourself.

They weren't dealing with a lot of adversity. They were dealing with the repercussions of cheating in the classroom and in their athletic program.

Posted by: sam gamgee | Feb 26, 2011 10:05:57 AM