« Rivera sees himself in Proehl | Main | Mock draft v3.0: New QB name at the top? »

March 22, 2011

Fox says 2-14 debacle will make him better coach

NEW ORLEANS -- John Fox called his final season with the Panthers a debacle, but took the high road Tuesday when asked whether the Panthers' 2010 personnel purge had led to a lost year for the lame-duck coach.

Fox, attending his first owners meetings as the Broncos' head coach, believes he left Charlotte as a better coach for enduring the 2-14 season -- and pointed out he also left with his winning record intact.

"It's one of the harder things I've ever done. There's a lot of head coaches in this league that don't even have winning records. And even after that debacle, we had a winning record," said Fox, who was 73-71 in nine seasons at Carolina.

"You never know what people are going to do. I know I never lost confidence in myself, whether it was this year, next year. I'm real blessed to be sitting here right now with such a great organization as the Denver Broncos.''

Asked about the roster turnover when the Panthers cut ties with about a dozen veterans and did not replace them with any significant acquisitions, Fox declined to break out the "personnel department" comments that enraged many in the front office last season.

"It's hard to say (it was a wasted year)," Fox said. "I think sometimes setbacks are set-ups for better things in the future. Sometimes your best lessons come from tough times. I think I'm a better coach today with that experience. Not the record, but I think it made me better as a coach.''

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM | Permalink

Comments

I don't know, maybe he'll manage to go 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 etc....I guess by NFL standards that's considered a good coach.

Posted by: lpdog32 | Mar 23, 2011 12:51:43 AM

Fox never had back-to-back winning seasons in Carolina.

Posted by: Joker305th | Mar 23, 2011 6:50:18 AM

Fox was consistently inconsistent

Posted by: It is what it is | Mar 23, 2011 7:06:23 AM

Obviously it is what it is, Picked a Bad day to have a bad day.....Chomp chomp on the gum, hand clap hand clap, Challenge a call that Stevie wonder knows you will not win......."Who starts John" We feel______________ gives us the best chance to win, run, run, obvious pass (defense blitz) punt........We are inside the 30 1st and 10, someone tell Kasay to warm up we are in field goal range....

Posted by: PaantherFan | Mar 23, 2011 7:16:45 AM

Joker305th Atlanta never had back to back winning seasons in their entire existence until 2009. John Fox is the winningest Coach in Panther History and the only Coach with a winning record and that includes his final season where they stripped his club of veteran leadership and had the 14 and 2 season. John Fox was a GREAT for the Panthers organization you ungrateful jerks

Posted by: QuasiYoda | Mar 23, 2011 8:14:51 AM

...and blah, blah, blah! Whatever Foxy!

Posted by: DragonLady | Mar 23, 2011 8:22:21 AM

John Fox was and is a complete loser. He was kicked out of town for performing horribly. People no longer believed in his ability, his players gave up on him, and the ownership had enough and showed him the door. He sucked. It is the best thing that ever happend to the Panthers to rid themselves of this joke of a man. His upcoming record at Denver??? 3-13 and another offseason firing.

Posted by: F FOX | Mar 23, 2011 8:22:48 AM

Good riddance. May he wallow in mediocrity while with the Broncos. It is what it is...

Posted by: JR | Mar 23, 2011 9:16:03 AM

I appreciate what Fox did while he was here. people seem to forget that he came in after we were 1-15 he he turned things around pretty quickly. I think he did a great job coaching here until last year. I really think he mailed it in last year. I think we had enough talent to finish close to .500 even with the injuries. Last year could have been better if he would have embraced the changes that were made & adjusted to the people he had. I think once a lot of his pets were cut like Jake, Hoov, etc. he kind of checked out on this team & in turn lost them. I wish him luck in Denver.

Posted by: Smiley | Mar 23, 2011 9:39:14 AM

I guess it is what it is unless you coach a team to 2-14. In that case it makes you a better coach.

Posted by: anon | Mar 23, 2011 9:47:08 AM

Something needed to make him a better coach.

Posted by: Fleiter | Mar 23, 2011 9:56:10 AM

I think Fox did a great job. Sure he was too conservative with keeping Dan Morgan, Jake and Peppers too long but we all grow and learn from our mistakes. I think he'll do even better in Denver where the owner isn't only concerned about his bottom line. This past year was Jerry Richardson saving money. If you can't see that then you don't understand the business of football.

Posted by: Mike @ Lake Norman | Mar 23, 2011 10:34:55 AM

I agree with Quasi, John Fox made our team exciting to watch, the drawback was he never put any new wrinkles into his scheme, and I think after the Arizona playoff game there was an official 'How to beat the Carolina Panthers' video tape out that all teams watched before playing us. I will not bash a coach that got our team to the super bowl..his system got old and it was time to go..the end

Posted by: Marvin | Mar 23, 2011 10:43:43 AM

Who cares? He's gone and I'm thankful for that!

Posted by: Beanie | Mar 23, 2011 11:05:59 AM

He got us to the super bowl and a couple of nfc championships. I have fond memories of the early 00s. Remember the good times, people.

Posted by: Jess, London, UK | Mar 23, 2011 12:32:23 PM

If I were Fox, I would find a way to pull a Mike Kryzewski and have that 2-14 removed from my record and placed on an interim guy, say Marty Hurney. Since Hurney and EvilHeart Richardson are the ones truly responsible for that debacle.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 23, 2011 12:52:01 PM

John Fox wasn't the problem in Carolina. Marty Hurney, Don Gregory, and Jerry Richardson are all problems. Until those parts of the building are fixed the Panthers have "No Chance" of ever winning a Super Bowl there. Marty Hurney and Don Gregory are staling from this organization and Jerry Richardson continues to listen to them. What a freakin DUMB ASS!!!!!

Posted by: Jim | Mar 23, 2011 1:17:15 PM

"his final season where they stripped his club of veteran leadership and had the 14 and 2 season."

Don't you mean 2-14 record? Anyway thank you Fox for the good times, even though you was mediocre at best as a coach. Too conservative, couldn't develop young talent that doesn't play defense or runningback. He never came close to developing a young Qb( to be called the face of the franchise) or a Wr( to compliment Smith).

Fox was impatient with young players, he wanted the over the hill players. I mean James A> Nail D, but let he was a benchwarmer.

Williams> Desean F, but had him starting over Williams.

Even if he was allow to keep his veterans players, at best their record would be 7-9 or 8-8 as always.

Posted by: jerome smith | Mar 23, 2011 1:45:41 PM

Exciting? Did Marvin say the Panthers were exciting to watch? Only in the same way an anxiety attack provides excitement! Run, run, obvious pass, punt. Sprinkle in a field goal here and there. That's exciting?!

Posted by: defender5 | Mar 23, 2011 1:48:57 PM

The prevalence of erndasity is forever mandunning.

Posted by: Rex Kwando | Mar 23, 2011 3:02:45 PM

John Fox lost more games than any Panther coach.

Posted by: MELISSA | Mar 23, 2011 4:09:52 PM

Draft Cam

Resign Matt Moore

Sign a Vet

Tell Pickle to get the hell out of town.

Posted by: MELISSA | Mar 23, 2011 4:15:40 PM

NO CAM!..DL

Posted by: qb | Mar 23, 2011 6:27:39 PM

I'll never forget the Cardiac Cats of 2003! I was stationed in Iraq and Kuwait and got up when possible around 3AM to watch the games. Awesome season!!! Thanks Fox!!!!

Posted by: JT | Mar 23, 2011 6:34:40 PM

Well, when you coach a team to 2-14, it's not like it's hard to do a better job the next year...

Posted by: pantherpundit | Mar 23, 2011 8:04:04 PM