« Gabbert goes deep at pro day | Main | Rivera: Panthers looking at more than QBs »

March 18, 2011

Reeves: Panthers should draft Cam

We'll have more in Sunday's paper about some of the dynamics involved in trading the first pick in the NFL draft, which the Panthers own.

But the coach who benefited twice from moving up in the order, not down, said if he controlled the Panthers' pick, he'd stand pat.

"If I'm them, I'm taking Cam Newton," former Falcons and Broncos coach Dan Reeves said. "I think that guy is going to be a great player.

"You can't win without one, and trust me, when I lost them, I got fired."

Reeves, who coached the Broncos when John Elway was acquired, said when he's watched Newton, he sees some of the same dynamic qualities that drew him to Michael Vick in Atlanta. But while both could make plays with their legs, Reeves said Newton has a better arm, and wasn't concerned at all with Newton playing in a spread offense.

"I can teach a guy to get up under center," Reeves said. "But I can't teach a guy to throw. He has a tremendous arm, and I think he's going to be really effective no matter what he was doing in college.

"I mean, how many times do you see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in the shotgun? A lot."

Reeves also noted that Newton can extend plays with his mobility, even though he won't be called on to run in the NFL the way he did in college. The longtime coach laughed and said South Carolina players "looked like gnats," trying to bring Newton down, and that adds an element to his game.

"I would never feel uncomfortable letting him get out of the pocket," Reeves said. "He's a man, and it's going to take a lot to bring him down."

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on March 18, 2011 at 05:35 PM | Permalink

Comments

OH LORD HERE COME THE CAM NEWTON HATERS. I AGREE 100% WITH DAN REEVES.THIS TEAM NEED CAM NEWTON!!

Posted by: trex | Mar 18, 2011 5:54:41 PM

Posted by: trex | Mar 18, 2011 5:54:41 PM

Posted by: Thorrez | Mar 18, 2011 6:07:26 PM

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 18, 2011 6:10:43 PM

"The problem is that the gnats he´ll be facing in the pros will be 100 pounds heavier AND faster." Posted by: Thorrez | Mar 18, 2011 6:07:26 PM

And you don't think that Dan Reeves who ACTUALLY coached in the NFL included this probability when he made his assessment of Newton? No more excuses. Cam Newton is the best choice and should be the top choice for the Panthers. The teams below their #1 pick hope they make the foolish choice and choose someone else. I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Posted by: Brown | Mar 18, 2011 6:20:23 PM

Wow. Thank goodness we have the opinion of Dan Reeves, the famous super bowl winning...oh, wait, never mind.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 18, 2011 6:22:52 PM

draft cam and get it ova with so we can come back and the DT from pitt or was it kansas state anyways thats a need we should fill also we need to start upgrading that o-line before that sneeks up on us ...peace

Posted by: fortydogg | Mar 18, 2011 6:50:29 PM

I'm almost willing to bet that the Panthers will pick Newton. All the years of "safe" picks was the old mindset. The new regime won't be so conservative.

Posted by: Lpdog | Mar 18, 2011 6:51:17 PM

Dan Reeves did win a Super Bowl as a player with the Cowboys. Just to clarify since only people who have won Super Bowls have good enough opinions for Brian. Im happy if Cam is the real deal... Im just scared he's JaMarcus Russell 2.0. Same High School. Same college system. Same big national championship game.... hopefully different NFL careers.

Posted by: st.panther | Mar 18, 2011 7:07:56 PM

Brian we don't care that you don't know jack about football, we do care when you have to show your butt here.

Posted by: Major Smart | Mar 18, 2011 8:08:37 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be, I admit), but isn't Dan Reeves one of the only people that could keep Elway under 300 yards per game consistantly? Plus, didn't he draft Tommy Maddox in the first round to possibly replace Elway at one point during his time in Denver? My facts may be off, I admit, but I swear I remember something along those lines. If my memory is correct though, I don't think Dan Reeves is the opinion we need on this matter.

Posted by: jason wilmington | Mar 18, 2011 8:55:05 PM

jason wilmington ok if you dont like reeves how about mike holmgren he like him he knows qb do that make you feel any better.even jon beason say we should draft him.your head coach likes him,at least 8 team thinking about drafting him if he drop to them even some of the so call experts have him going number 3 to buffalo if he good enough to go 3rd over all he is good enough to go 1st if he was all that bad why most mock draft got him gong in the top 10 atleast.you got to realize this is the time of year that teams and scouts put out lies to make a player drop so there franchise can snatch him up!!!

Posted by: trex | Mar 18, 2011 10:02:05 PM

I find it funny how fans want a certain player, but once he flops after 1yr they be fast to give up on him. One minute they are on the Luck bandwagon, now they are on the Cam N bandwagon.

Will Cam N be a day 1 starter? If not, then he isn't worth drafting #1 overall. When was the last time a #1 overall pick sat and learn? I guess they should draft a Qb for the next 5yrs until they get it right. Heck whoever wins the hesiman/trophy should be drafted #1 overall.

Cam N does have amazing talent, problem is he will need time to transition from an option spread to a pro-style offense. Unless you want to throw him into the wolves. With no possible training camp/ota's, their developments will be slowed down. Fans/owners are impatient when it comes to development of a young Qb, they want him in from the start.

"even jon beason say we should draft him"

Did Jon B changed his mind knowing Newton won't have a playbook, training camp/ota's as well? Clearly I thought he did.

Posted by: oh wow | Mar 19, 2011 12:57:25 AM

I am so sick of Cam Newton. I am also sick of the idiots who think anybody with a negative opinion of him is just a hater. He soes not have the skill set to be successful at the next level. It is as simple as that. Cam Newton's next start will be in the CFL if he is lucky. I just want to puke.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 19, 2011 1:36:37 AM

Trex,

I wasn't bashing Newton, I think the guy is a heck of a talent. I'm glad you brought up Holmgren though, because yes, that does make me feel a million times better than Dan Reeves opinion. Thanks for the reply,

J.

Posted by: jason wilmington | Mar 19, 2011 1:53:54 AM

I agree because I don't think that Jimmy Clausen is the quarterback of the future here. I'm not sure if Newton is worth the first pick in the draft, but I do think he is the right fit for Carolina. They already have a great running game with Williams and Stewart and a solid receiver in Smith, so Newton could fit right in even as a starting rookie quarterback.

Posted by: Jon L. | Mar 19, 2011 4:20:32 PM

St. Panther please stop posting immediately. Jamarcus Russell and Cam Newton did not go to the same highschool moron. Try and find another way to link him to a failed black quarterback. You could say well he was a heisman winner like Andre Ware and maybe lists some of the things that link them together. You could say he is athletic and tall like Vince Young. Stop comparing him to Jamarcus Russell please!

Anyway, Newton was a pocket passer in highschool. He only started running alot at Blinn and Auburn. It was the system he was running. Sam Bradford was a one read quarterback and did well last year. Arrogance is necessary to be good on this level. Phillip Rivers is the most arrogant young QB in the game.

People are still talking about Luck. Lets see if he can produce without Harbaugh, because if I am not mistaken wasn't Locker a can't miss number one prospect? Be ready, because he may be our pick and you may have to just get over it.

Posted by: Lebowitz | Mar 19, 2011 6:31:23 PM

"Sam Bradford was a one read quarterback and did well last year."

WTH are you talking about? Sam B was ask to read defenses from shotgun, made his 2nd,3rd, and 4th reads. Something Newton didn't do, along the Sooners running part of a pro-style offense. Nice way to give out false information.

"People are still talking about Luck. Lets see if he can produce without Harbaugh, because if I am not mistaken wasn't Locker a can't miss number one prospect".

Luck is 100xs better than Locker, let us not forget about that. I wonder what happends if Luck does have a even better season, what will you say then?

Posted by: oh wow | Mar 19, 2011 7:38:30 PM

Oklahoma's offense is described as a mostly spread offense with a few "pro-style" formations in it. It was funny that this did not seem to come out until he started showing success in his rookie season. I was not giving out false information. Also, the coaches played to his strengths. You should remember from when we played them that it was slant after slant the whole game with alot of plays in the shotgun. Hmmm, looks like one read and throw to me. The things that make one quarterback the overall pick one year do not translate to the next year.

It shows how ridiculous all of this pre-draft limitation nonsense is. Players cannot do this or do that. Cam Newton did what the coaches asked of him at Auburn. Like all black quarterbacks, the ability to run makes him unable to read defenses.

Once again, Jake Locker would have been rated the number one overall pick last year. He had a cannon arm, good stats in the Pac-10, and didnt have a lineman's knee brace on either. He came back and struggled. I want to see if Luck can do that without his former quarterback, pro-offense style running coach.

Posted by: Lebowitz | Mar 19, 2011 9:40:04 PM

"I agree the Panthers should take Newton. Unfortunately, the Panthers have never had the nerve to take a player like Newton. This franchise wants safe, boring guys with no risk. The team has always been so defensive minded it's hard to believe that they would pull the trigger on Newton, after all, that might lead to a better offense. Unless the mindset has changed dramatically, it's likely not going to happen. So we should all get ready to watch Newton score TD's for another team."

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 18, 2011 6:10:43 PM

I AGREE WITH THIS 100%

Posted by: D.W.G. | Mar 20, 2011 9:22:27 AM

The Panthers have one pick, then no more until the third round! Picking a quarterback in the first round has always been a bit of a crap shoot and with no second round pick to back it up, the panthers could miss out on plugging one of the many holes they have. Given the Panthers conservative history, I wonder if they are REALLY considering Newton #1? It sure is a pretty risky move for a team with no second rounder. Oh well, there's always free agency.

Posted by: Airman | Mar 20, 2011 9:22:34 AM

newton may not be the right fit for this team, but tell me who is with this team, i say the futur is now so draft the kid and give him a chance, i bet 100% the culture with change in panther land, at least will get more tv time and big time games featuring newton, the nfl will brace this kid and the team he is on, just like they did with andrian peterson, and no way in hell this guy is not good enough to play as a starting qb in the nfl after going undefeated in the sec..whatever u guys are smoking, please give me some..i call the racist cigar..

Posted by: teemac1974 | Mar 20, 2011 10:48:02 AM

Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans are praying Carolina takes newton. Carolina is turning into the Raiders of the east coast.

Posted by: John | Mar 20, 2011 3:26:30 PM