« Rivera: Clausen got too much blame | Main | Fox says 2-14 debacle will make him better coach »

March 22, 2011

Rivera sees himself in Proehl

NEW ORLEANS -- Ron Rivera looks at Ricky Proehl and sees a former NFL player who was willing to do about anything to break into the coaching profession.

Kind of like himself.

Rivera hired Proehl, a former Panthers receiver who played 17 NFL seasons, as an offensive consultant after Proehl got in contact with him.

"Just listening to his passion when he talked, Ricky reminded me so much of myself when I got into it," Rivera said Tuesday. "That was probably the biggest thing that attracted me."

Since retiring in 2006, Proehl has been the owner and operator of a training facility in Greensboro.

After Rivera retired from the Bears, he spent a couple of years helping out on the Bears' broadcast team before realizing he wanted to coach.

"I really got a big kick out of how much he reminded me of myself – wanting to start, saying, 'Hey, look, I'll do whatever. I'll start at the bottom,'" Rivera said.

"I used to want that opportunity because I really thought I could help. We were really intrigued by that."

And Proehl showed recently he can help in other ways.

When there were only a few available receivers at Blaine Gabbert's private workout with the Panthers, Proehl jumped in and caught passes from the Missouri quarterback.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 22, 2011 at 02:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

Good to have both guys here. Heck Ron R is more talkative than Fox ever has been. Don't have a favortie such as Fox "it is what it is". He bring down his responds with full details, willing to teach young players. Finally open competition for anyone can have a shot at starting, instead of being given to you because you are a veteran.

Posted by: mark j | Mar 22, 2011 3:14:41 PM

Proehl My man...Still catching the ball. Would have liked to see that again.

Posted by: MBPantfan | Mar 22, 2011 5:04:12 PM

This is long overdue. Unfortunately Fox would never allow it and thought the crypt keeper Richard Williamson was somehow a good WR coach. That dude was probably coaching before the forward pass was ever invented.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 22, 2011 5:40:18 PM

Are u ever gonna let Fox Go! Ohh that's right he's the only coach we ever had! Get over him! Offensive consults do nothing, They grade tape and make sure players get to meetings on time. This is a Puff piece. Another hack article from hack writers. The panthers are moving!

Posted by: Joey | Mar 22, 2011 6:01:03 PM

This is only the beginning for Ricky Proehl. He always knew more than anyone else, and he unselfishly shared it all. Ricky and Wesley Walls, caught our hearts and will always be with us.

Posted by: charlesbright | Mar 22, 2011 6:01:10 PM

Can't have a circus without animals...not enough good linemen....sorry receivers overall.

Posted by: Age75 | Mar 22, 2011 6:55:37 PM

Did any of you happen to catch Marty Hurney at the Georgia Pro Day? He's such a tool! He was walking around watching AJ Green with his little backpack on! How he keep his job is way beyond me. He has a lot of people fooled in Carolina and in the NFL!

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 22, 2011 6:56:30 PM

Also, he may have been right, but Steve Smith should not have mouthed off about him..

Posted by: Age75 | Mar 22, 2011 6:56:50 PM

Posted by: Age75 | Mar 22, 2011 6:56:50 PM

Posted by: Age75 | Mar 22, 2011 6:56:51 PM

Yes, Fred, because so many coaches have had receivers with dominant years like Smith and Muhammad had over the last ten years.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 22, 2011 8:50:43 PM

@Fred, by your comment , it tells most of us, how long you have been a fan of the Panthers.. maybe 5 years..

Richard Williamson - produced several 1,000 yard WR's here, along with Steve Smith & Moose...Mark Carrier (1995), Willie Green had 882 yards, and 18.8 ypc that year, 6 TD's,,Raghib (Rocket) Ismail 1,000+ yards,,,Patrick Jeffers 1,000+ yards, 12 TD's...then add in the several seasons Steve and Moose had 1,000+ yards.. Throw in the fact Steve Smith, when he was drafted, was never slotted to be the Panthers WR, only our kick-returner... Guess who pushed for him to be elevated to WR, Richard Williamson..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Mar 22, 2011 11:31:24 PM

1 pro bowl WR in however long Williamson was here. Outside of 1 year, NEVER two competent WR's on the field at the same time. Yeah, the guy was brilliant. Let's put him in the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible.

Can't beleive you dropped Green and Jeffers, hilarious.

Idiot.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 23, 2011 12:47:14 PM

Ok Michael, I stand corrected. Steve and Moose learned everything they know from Williamson, they couldn't even catch before that. Come on man.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 23, 2011 12:48:51 PM

Joey, I missed something. Now, where are the Panthers moving...to?

Posted by: Jacksonian | Mar 25, 2011 9:08:46 PM