« Last call for actual football | Main | Shockey signing with Panthers »

March 03, 2011

Williams thinks Panthers will re-sign him

Panthers tailback DeAngelo Williams took a break from riding the rides and chatting up fans at ESPN's The Weekend activities at Disney to do a short interview Thursday on ESPN's “SportsCenter.”

Williams, wearing a Mad Hatter-type Mickey Mouse lid, talked about the Panthers' decision to place the franchise tag on center Ryan Kalil rather than Williams, the organization's all-time rushing leader.

Kalil quickly signed the $10 million tender, making him the highest-paid center in the league.

My initial reaction was that's a lot of money Kalil's going to be making. Then I was like, 'We get to keep Kalil,'” Williams said.

I've never not placed myself with the Carolina Panthers because that's the only team I've ever played for. That's the team that drafted me and gave me an opportunity when 26 other teams passed me by. So I'm going to hold loyal to them as long as they hold loyal to me.

But in the event that they don't want to re-sign me, hopefully there's 31 other teams that will give me an opportunity to play for them.”

The Panthers placed a restricted free-agent tender on Williams on Wednesday. Jimmy Sexton, Williams' agent, told the AP the former Memphis star received the highest tender, which would require teams to surrender first- and third-round draft picks to sign him.

But many of the 14 tenders placed by the Panthers figure to be moot in a new collective bargaining agreement. With five years of experience, Williams is almost certain to be an unrestricted free agent, assuming a labor deal is reached in time for a free agency period.

Still, Williams believes the Panthers are interested in signing him to a contract extension.

“With them not franchise-tagging me, I think that's a strong indication that they're going to try to re-sign me,” he said.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

Comments

slow

Posted by: mr obvious | Mar 3, 2011 2:22:56 PM

I don't see Williams getting a big money deal from the Panthers. Plus, it's more important they re-sign Charles Johnson. I didn't think Johnson was that big a priority until I realized, the Panthers are probably going to pass all those DEs in the draft and take Cam Newton. http://bit.ly/NFLMockDraft3

Posted by: lech112 | Mar 3, 2011 2:29:24 PM

JEREMEY SHOCKEY HEADED TO CAROLINA!!!!!!!

Posted by: NICK J | Mar 3, 2011 2:37:36 PM

As long as he wants to come back we should keep him for a good price. If not(or to expensive) I am fine with a backfield of Stewart and Goodson.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 3, 2011 2:40:27 PM

In other news, Jeremy Shockey is now a Panther.

Posted by: Whos Barry Badrinath? | Mar 3, 2011 2:46:28 PM

Yeah, Tyler - I saw that on an actual site that provides today's NFL news - not the Observer's standard 3 day old breaking news Panthers stories.

Posted by: Vic The Appraiser | Mar 3, 2011 2:50:41 PM

DeWill will sign for slightly above league average for a starting RB ..

As for 1st pick, I see them surprising with Patrick Peterson as the 1st #1 overall corner taken in an NFL draft .. he's too good a specimen in his position (arguably in the last decade) in his class to pass up and has incredible potential w/ no baggage .. Rivera is not stupid, he wants a surefire starter w/ the least risk to fail in his first year as head coach and a backfield that is impossible to throw against in a division full of franchise QBs... Newton / Fairley, Bowers, etc could turn into great players, but come w/ a lot more risk than Peterson.. you can't argue that..

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Mar 3, 2011 2:52:33 PM

Keep D-Will. He is more of an Tomlinson type back than Stewart.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Mar 3, 2011 2:59:47 PM

To add, I see them making a push for a veteran FA QB like Billy Volek (who is not bad at all), and who Rivera is already familiar with to help mentor Clausen/Pike/Moore ..

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Mar 3, 2011 3:04:10 PM

With Williams ending his season on IR over the past 2yrs along will turn 28 in April, I don't see any teams overpaying for him. Unless they really desperate that is.

"To add, I see them making a push for a veteran FA QB like Billy Volek (who is not bad at all), and who Rivera is already familiar with to help mentor Clausen/Pike/Moore"

Good post, thank goodness you aren't on the Newton or Gabbert bandwagon. Can't continue to draft Qb's and once they don't live up to the hype, the fans want to "give up" on you.

Posted by: jerome carter | Mar 3, 2011 3:13:11 PM

Jerome, DeAngelo actually was well enough to come back after a few weeks last year. The decision to put him IR - I believe - was made to get a look at Goodson, who will still be under contract regardless. If Goodson proved to be a standout, then regardless of what happened with negotiations, they had a safe option if keeping DWill wasn't feasible. I think the opposite occurred though, in that Goodson proved himself to have value, but Goodson/Stewart isn't a substitute for Williams/Stewart

Posted by: Jason Alston | Mar 3, 2011 3:47:46 PM

I wouldn't mind a run at Carson Palmer. Even McNabb. Either for the short term would help.
I still think Pike could be the guy!

Posted by: Keary Colbert | Mar 3, 2011 6:44:05 PM

If they sign DeAngelo Williams and draft AJ Green plus the addition of Jeremy Shockey will make them have the most dangerous offense in the league! It would be wise to resign Matt Moore but it looks unlikely plus the skill and size of the O-Line provides good pass protection. And Dont forget STEVE SMITH! Maybe Jimmy Clausen will perform better with the new coaches. We'll just have to wait and see if there will be football next season

Posted by: Brad | Mar 3, 2011 8:35:16 PM

First off, I'm glad they picked up Shockey. They now need to figure out the QB situation. I agree with u Keary, I would like to see them give Pike more of a chance, if not trade down for Carson Palmer. I would really like to see them pick up AJ Green or Julio Jones as their #1 pick, then get Ryan Mallet as their 2nd pick. That just seems like the smart thing to do. I just hope they don't get Scam Newton. Patrick Peterson will probably be their #1 pick though.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 3, 2011 8:37:42 PM

They won't take a Qb, I believe they would go with peterson, there is enough DT's hitting free agency for them to choose from. Besides one thing carolina as never really had is a great return game/true lock down corner, gamble is the only one close to it. Qb will come from free agency or trade, maybe mcnabb, kolb, flynn, or volek though i really dont know much about him, hope he's not another old testaverde. If available in later rounds I wouldn't mind them picking up QB kaepernick out of navada.

Posted by: keith S.C | Mar 3, 2011 9:15:59 PM

Cam Newton is coming to Carolina. Carson Newman is coming to Carolina. Matt Moore is staying in Carolina. Jimmy Clausen can be had for a bag of chips. Carson starts, Newton learns, Moore is No. 3. Pike and Clausen will be traded or released. Welcome to Carolina Schockey.

Posted by: trulytimely | Mar 3, 2011 10:23:47 PM

Why does everyone like GOODSON, the guy FUMBLES ALL THE TIME!

DW went a complete season (not this past one, the year before) without fumbling! That is worth it's weight in GOLD. 5 yds per carry and ZERO fumbles vs the waste called Goodson. Come on people!

Posted by: PSL OWNER | Mar 3, 2011 11:34:05 PM

I've posted this before today, but I saw William's jerseys in the clearance rack at the team store during the last Panther home game. I've never seen them sell those on clearance for a guy that was still with the team before. They were next to the Jarret and Delhomme jerseys, no kidding.

Seemed pretty clear to me that cheap ass Jerry sent the word to sell them while they still could.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Mar 4, 2011 12:15:53 AM

They have to keep D Will. and I believe they will give him an extension even if they do believe goodson is a good rb, all running backs go down and you need 3 maybe four good backs to keep you alive in the running game. If jerry wants a major offensive upgrade as he said that means williams will be signed no doubt about it. Far as WR's there are a good selection that will be available for them to jump up and take if they choose to, I would give up next years 1st pick and throw in jimmy clausen for larry fitzgerald thats if they could talk the cardinals into it lol, dreams do happen.

Posted by: keith S.C | Mar 4, 2011 3:38:07 AM

Panther Gurus: Please re-sign D-Will. He's a class act, a great player, and displays a rare loyalty to the team and to our city. Don't let him get away!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Mar 4, 2011 12:04:55 PM

billy volek works for me! at least I know we have a nfl qb.

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 4, 2011 10:19:28 PM

I agree with the idea of keeping Pike around, as well as taking a good long look at Carson Palmer. I also feel that if Peterson is truly a once-per-decade corner, then that is a smart pick at #1. I personally don't believe in drafting quarterbacks #1 overall, unless it is just a crazy-good lock for NFL greatness, and there isn't one of those available this year. Finally, find some beastly beef for the middle of that D-line, I'm talking big, nasty, greasy, snot-slingin' beef.

Posted by: BigMikey | Mar 6, 2011 7:14:59 AM

After reading all the comments hear it is clear that every one wants to keep D. Williams. I fill the same way the need to keep him but they need a vetran QB so bad. It isnt going to work for any RBs unless you have a QB who is not affrade to take a shot down the feild to open up the run game. Palmer or Volk would be a great addition.

Posted by: panther2172 | Mar 6, 2011 2:42:47 PM

I believe DeAngelo is a much more productive RB than Stewart.Stewart is stronger but it seems he lost some of his outside to north speed, he's just slower nowadays.Because of that i believe he's going to get hurt again.When he gets hurt its takes a long time for him to heal up. Perhaps Stewart should move to fullback.Yeah i know DeAngelo was on IR for along time this past year but i believe because of Carolinas miserable season it was better to get him all healed up and ready for the next season.He's got that vision to avoid tackles and speed to get north.I like DeAngelo,while Stewart was hurt,DeAngelo was getting all dinged up and kept playing while hurt. He's got that "next level factor" that we haven't seen yet and I'd sure hate to see him
expose that "next level Factor" on another team. I hope Carolina wises up and keeps him.

Posted by: GrgWolfl | Mar 7, 2011 7:22:04 PM

D. Williams is a great back. I've watched him play at high school level, college level, and now in pros. He has heart and ability. Carolina needs to resign him

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 30, 2011 1:26:45 AM