« Is there a QB worth a top-5 pick in draft? | Main | Monday Cam Newton tidbits »

April 09, 2011

DeAngelo looking for a QB

Potential Panthers free agent RB DeAngelo Williams did an interview on a Miami radio station Saturday, and said one of the factors in his decision about the future will be the team's quarterback situation.

While Miami's Chad Henne has been criticized there, he's better than what the Panthers have been putting on the field lately. Both teams are likely looking for quarterbacks in the draft, though the Panthers have the chance to take Auburn's Cam Newton with the first pick.

Asked what he's looking for by the hosts of the Kup and Kelly show on WQAM, Williams sounded like a guy tired of running against eight or nine players in the box.

"I know they've had a lot of talk about the quarterback situation here in Miami, we've had a lot of talk about it in Charlotte too," Williams said. "It's all going to boil down to quarterbacks. in this league, the running game is predicated on whether you have a quarterback or not. If you don't have a quarterback, teams will stack the box and they force you to do what you do best. ...

"It's basically going to boil down to who has the better quarterback, or who's making the conscious effort to go out and find a quarterback or mold a quarterback they already have into a championship caliber quarterback."

Williams is in Miami to participate in the celebrity portion of the South Beach triathlon (he's riding 19 miles on a bike), which supports St. Jude's and cancer research.

The hosts asked Williams early in the interview about the prospect of signing with the Dolphins, and he laughed and said "I heard rumors I may be on top of their board this year."

Granted, Williams won't be a free agent until there's a new CBA. The Panthers put a restricted free agent tender on him in case the league operates under last year's work rules.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney has said consistently that he wants to retain all the team's key free agents, including Williams.

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on April 9, 2011 at 02:27 PM | Permalink

Comments

I can't say that I blame him. Please keep DeAngelo, Mr. Hurney. Do what it takes to make these guys happy. Carolina is fortunate to have such talented players with such high character.

Posted by: jeff | Apr 9, 2011 2:58:58 PM

Posted by: jeff | Apr 9, 2011 2:58:58 PM

Keep DeAngelo! Best offensive player on the team and a class act.

Posted by: Kris | Apr 9, 2011 3:31:31 PM

Since he'll be a restricted FA, let some other team sign him. I'll gladyly take that team's 1st and 3rd round picks for Williams. I want DW to stay, but he's not worth as much as those two picks!

Posted by: stickyd | Apr 9, 2011 5:08:58 PM

"Since he'll be a restricted FA, let some other team sign him. I'll gladyly take that team's 1st and 3rd round picks for Williams."

There's a huge possibility that the RFA tenders won't even be part of the new CBA. If there's a 2011 season, will it be played under the old cba news? If so, then the RFA tenders will exist under the old cba rules. I see no team surrender a 1st and 3rd rounder for a soon to be 28yr old running back. Should have traded Williams when they had the chance, especially he was to sign elsewhere.

Posted by: jerome carter | Apr 9, 2011 6:13:49 PM

Another blunder by not trading DW!

Posted by: QB | Apr 9, 2011 6:27:25 PM

Oh brother. It was not a blunder to keep Williams off of the trade market. He wouldn't have garnered more than a mid to low round pick at best. RBs simply aren't worth that much in trade value anymore. Plus, having two quality backs was the only offensive advantage we ever had.

At this point Williams has had two knee injury and is almost 28 years old. Although he hasn't carried the ball much in the regular season he carried it a ton in college. I think he should realize he's best to stay in Carolina and Carolina should realize it's best to keep him around a few more years.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Apr 9, 2011 8:02:13 PM

"He wouldn't have garnered more than a mid to low round pick at best"

So you wouldn't have accepted a late 2nd to 3rd round pick in return instead of walking him walk without no compensation( well maybe another compensatory pick)?

Posted by: mark j | Apr 9, 2011 8:44:44 PM

What he means is, no way I'm staying if they think Jimmy Clausen is the answer. Now if you get one Cameron Newton...

Posted by: J | Apr 9, 2011 8:51:50 PM

What he really said was "if you get Cam Newton I'm running away from Charlotte as fast as my legs will take me!!!"

Posted by: dbigcat | Apr 9, 2011 9:25:48 PM

Posted by: dbigcat | Apr 9, 2011 9:25:48 PM

big fan of deangelo....he would do great in miami!! i dont think the panthers need or can afford to have three good rb's....

Posted by: Scott | Apr 9, 2011 9:28:01 PM

DeAngelo meant: they (defenses) crowd eight in the box cause Clausen can't beat them with his arm or legs which puts the running backs in the unfortunate position of taking on nearly the entire defense as soon as they touch the ball... now Cam Newton will have defenses second guessing themselves if they crowd the line, look at his passer rating agains the blitz and you couple that with his escapability... shh, quiet please the Commissioner has come to the podium....AND WITH THE FIRST CHOICE IN THE 2011 NFL DRAFT THE CAROLINA PANTHERS SELECT-----CAM NEWTON QUARTERBACK, AUBURN.

Posted by: mocea | Apr 9, 2011 9:37:35 PM

Cam Newton is the no-brainer pick for #1. He will be the best player on any field, and will make the Panthers a winning team.

Posted by: War Eagle | Apr 9, 2011 10:09:46 PM

I guess he doesn't want them to draft Cam Newton. I can't say that I blame him.

Posted by: rob | Apr 9, 2011 10:38:33 PM

No. He's saying go get Cam Newton. Think about it. What does a RB want the most? A winning QB a diverse throwing/running QB. Newton will drop a bomb pass to Smith, Gettis or Shockey. Mel Kiper thinks we have NEEDS. NEEDS? We're a QB a way from a championship...I think. We have great players, GREAT. We don't, however have a QB that can trick up a defense.

Posted by: panthersfan | Apr 9, 2011 11:13:48 PM

Check it out, Rivera this is what we do:
Trade down take the best available at the lower spot (preferably julio jones or aj green). Ok, with the 3rd round selection, or unless we get a higher pick out of the trade, take Ryan Mallett. This guy on tape is a beast. Anybody watch the Cotton Bowl? Better arm than Philip Rivers. After a little work, he'll be a great qb.

Posted by: DieHardCat | Apr 10, 2011 12:39:57 AM

Give credit to Dwill for being smart, say something without saying too much. Dwill is wanted here, but if the RFA stays in tact with any new CBA, then I would definitely let Miami give us a 1st and 3rd round pick. That is what we need, extra picks. Take a QB and then build with a DT with Miami's pick. There is a lot of D-line talent in the draft to choose from.

I like DeAngelo, but I would definitely take the extra picks if he has to go elsewhere.

Posted by: djfoams | Apr 10, 2011 12:52:54 AM

Lmao the same fans who want Newton will be the very ones to throw him the bus. Face it he is a project and when was th last time the 1st overall had sat and learn? Will no possible tc/ oat's what i
mpact will the savior Newton make? He can't discuss contracts, contact coaches nor be given the full playbook.

Posted by: Lol | Apr 10, 2011 3:22:38 AM

LOL, shaddup. Nobody wanted Clausen here. You could see from his Notre Dame days that he wasn't going to pan out. If Newton fails, so what? They are already the worst team in the NFL. Like I said before, Newton will bring life, energy, fans, excitement, a buzz, to the field and this team, but idiots like you just don't get it.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 10, 2011 6:17:20 AM

One more thing, at least Williams gets it. He understands that they cannot compete with Clausen, Moore, Pike, or an old vet. They need a young leader with great physical ability to grow with the team and new coach. Newton fits that bill.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 10, 2011 6:20:07 AM

The day the Panthers draft Cam Newton will be the day my season tickets go on the market. Unfortunately there probably will be more sellers than buyers and I will probably take a bath on the price.

Posted by: Willie | Apr 10, 2011 7:38:36 AM

Let me explain something to you who are STUPID about football and perhaps don't realize how STUPID you are. What D. Williams is saying is that the Panthers either need to Draft Cam Newton (best choice) or bring a veteran in to make the QB position a threat on this team. J. Clausen is perhaps years away from being a reliable backup. Any other interpretation of his comments is predicated on IGNORANCE of the game.

Posted by: sid smith | Apr 10, 2011 8:06:32 AM

You should run as fast and far away as possible from this team. The longer this lockout goes the worst this team will be, between new coachs (defenese guy to boot). No mini camps to get the offense some time together, next year if they play is another lost year in the Carolinas. Go to an established team, long term coaching, good qb and take the cash!

Posted by: Johnny dollar | Apr 10, 2011 8:15:31 AM

Jerry Richardson has a history of staying away from players that have the slightest hint of a troublemaker image. Which surprises me that they would even consider Cam Newton. Maybe it's just a bluff. We will see in a few days.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 10, 2011 8:46:57 AM