« DeAngelo looking for a QB | Main | Panthers' preseason schedule released »

April 11, 2011

Monday Cam Newton tidbits

A couple of tidbits on Cam Newton from around the Internet:

NFL analyst Jon Gruden says in a USA Today blog post that  Cam Newton is the best player in the country. ... Apparently Marvin Lewis agrees. ... And Newton will be the Panthers' pick at No. 1, according to voters on Pat Yasinskas' ESPN blog. ... The Panthers have at least four games worth of Newton game tape from Blinn (Texas) College, according to SI's Peter King.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Comments

Guh. I'm sure I'll work my way in to cheering for him if they draft him, but the Panthers taking Newton would be another serious downer at the end of a 12-month period full of way too many of them. (I was never terribly excited about the Clausen pick either.) What a depressing way to go into a locked-out season -- gambling the #1 overall on a high risk QB with a short track record and a bad attitude. (I know, I know, the upside... whatever.)

I would be so much happier with some boring, unsexy moves like a trade-back for some mix of a defensive tackle, a possession wideout, and a #2 cornerback. Taking Newton may turn out great in the long run, but in the short run it's just going to give me more heartburn.

Posted by: BullCityDog | Apr 11, 2011 12:08:13 PM

I don't get why people think he has a bad attitude? He has seemed, frankly, nothing but pleasant enough in all of his interviews. He managed to win a national championship with the cloud of potential ineligibility hanging over him (which, I would argue, requires someone to have a pretty positive attitude, or at least someone who can block out negativity) and he dominated at both the JuCo and SEC level.

I understand that many people have bought into the notion that we need to bring in a dominant defensive tackle or trade down for more picks to reload in several key positions. All of that isn't wrong - but perhaps these guys know what they're doing? I mean, Ron Rivera probably knows a dominant DT when he sees one, but he also might know a dominant QB as well. And, frankly, I'd rather have a dominant QB. Nobody knows for sure how any of these draft picks will turn out - it's always a crap shoot to some degree. I can say this though: if Cam Newton turns out to be a special QB and we don't take him, Marty Hurney will likely not have a job. Granted, the same could be said if Cam turns out to be a huge bust. At some point, you've gotta take your chances.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 11, 2011 12:16:11 PM

Draft the thug and just go ahead and move the team to LA already.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 11, 2011 12:16:22 PM

Also, I think we can all agree Cam might be a lot of things, but he's not a "thug." And I think we all know what we really mean by thug...

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 11, 2011 12:19:25 PM

Notice how slowly, but surely the so-called experts are coming to accept the fact that Cam Newton is the best player out there? They have tried hard, but can't find anyone better. Kiper and McShay will be touting him before long. It's not rocket science. Anyone who can't see Cam is that guy, does not know football.

Posted by: Qdog112 | Apr 11, 2011 12:28:35 PM

If the Panthers take Newton they are thinking he is less of a project than the scouts think. Otherwise, why would you take him number one to sit on the bench when it looks like next year's draft will have as many as 3 immediate contributors at QB? Bottom line is if he's not going to start sometime this year then don't bother.

Posted by: Jimbo | Apr 11, 2011 12:29:21 PM

Thug! wow that's a harsh word to call a person when you don't live in his house or hang around him daily to know how he is. Go ahead an say what you want to really say ,he's a black quarterback an you aint trying to have that.

Posted by: uncbuzz | Apr 11, 2011 12:35:35 PM

Jimbo if the Panthers take Newton he will start game one. You can bank on that. Sitting & learning how to play QB is a luxury most teams, including the Panthers, don't have. Besides can our QB play be any worse than it was last year. I think newton can be awesome as long as you play to his strengths. that means lots of shotgun, roll outs, screens & a heavy dose of running the ball. He will be pretty good next year IMO.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 11, 2011 12:39:12 PM

exactly! "THug" just be a man! and say what you really want to say! stop using "Tag" words...just say it! just freaking say it!
Stealing is STEALING!! quick everyone who's NEVER!! stole anything in their lives please raise their hand! be it a piece of candy from grandma's pocketbook..some change from Grandpa's ash tray..for a soda.....drank your roomates soda in college from the fridge, or made 1 of his pizza's....don't pay taxes on your pet,...the caisher forgot to charge ya for something..so u turned your car around and drove back to the mall......etc. I could go on but we have all stole! something! and that doesn't make us "thugs" it makes us stupid and irresponsable young man at the time...being....and ya move on...."Thug" give me a freaking break!

Posted by: Cheven | Apr 11, 2011 12:42:09 PM

All I can say a thug if you want to word that way, fights to the end for his people and don't quit on them like KERRY COLLINS

Posted by: uncbuzz | Apr 11, 2011 12:44:52 PM

Yeah I agree with you both uncbuzz and Jonathan.Phil where did the thug statment come from. I have not heard anything that would suggest such a thing. It must make him a thug when he spends his time with local kids in his spare time. Thats probably where he gets the Bad attitude that BullCityDog was talking about too. You guys need to go do your homework on the guy cause you are so far off on this kid.

Posted by: c-boss | Apr 11, 2011 12:47:09 PM

Plus I want to add if Newton is a thug I hope my son turns out to be a thug just like him.

Posted by: c-boss | Apr 11, 2011 12:51:59 PM

He ss a OVERrated THUG!!! Do not waste a #1 pick on this guy. Please Marty Hurney!!! Just trade back. I need my laptop!

Posted by: Anthony | Apr 11, 2011 1:07:28 PM

all you people who get upset over the word 'thug" need to just get over yourself. someone who cheats on a test and then steals a laptop certainly qualifies as someone with character flaws. so why don't you pick the adjective?

Posted by: tom | Apr 11, 2011 1:08:22 PM

Just go ahead and say the "N" word...I know that's what you really want to say...It's so hard for you to deal with the Panthers having a Black Quarterback...Well guess what...You might as well get over it...If you don't like it...Don't come to the stadium...Don't watch the games on TV...Don't listen to the games on the radio...And don't jump on the bandwagon when things get good...Because that's how you do...Y'all are some ignorant people...You still can't get over Obama being President and the Michael Vick situation...Shame on you idiots...With the #1 Pick in the NFL Draft...The Carolina Panthers take Cam Newton from the University of Auburn! Good day.

Posted by: Troy | Apr 11, 2011 1:12:09 PM

Wow seems to me the sports writers at the charlotte observer have man crushes on cam newton! It's all they write about! Seems to me that rivera himself has stated on numerous occasions that there are 8 players they are considering. This could very well be a ploy to trick other teams into thinking they are not interested in newton, but if that's the case the observer is not helping them out a bit. Newton could be great or he could be a bust, this is true of every player in this draft. My point is there are a lot of players to pick from so please write about them, the cam newton stories are getting old!

Posted by: mike | Apr 11, 2011 1:17:05 PM

Having a black quarterback has nothing to do with it. Having the LEADER of our team be someone with so many issues IS a problem. I don't want someone who has continued to make bad decisions part of this team. Terrell Owens has been a great reciever but I wouldn't want him on my team!

Posted by: Anthony | Apr 11, 2011 1:17:53 PM

Cam is the right decision. Panthers are headed in a new direction and Newton will bring excitement to the games. He is a proven winner too.

Jimmy Clausen turned into David Carr, minus the gloves.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Apr 11, 2011 1:19:07 PM

It's funny how Race always gets brought up. Is the reason nobody wants Gabbert is because he's white. Please do me a favor and SHUT UP!!!

Posted by: Anthony | Apr 11, 2011 1:20:08 PM

I agree that for someone to make a personality judgment about this kid without knowing him is extremely unfair, so Phil what do you know that his previous coaches don't know. I am sure that if he were a thug, Auburn's coaching staff, as well as the offensive coordinator's wife are closer to him than you are. But they could be wrong. I also think that the panther have destoryed enough QB's, Jimmy Clasuean's confidence is completely shot because he was not properly developed. Cam will need to be developed at this level.

Posted by: jb | Apr 11, 2011 1:22:10 PM

Scam Newton has Shrek ears...bahahahahaha. I am sure he is better than Clausen but he has too much baggage and ego.

Posted by: Pat Daddy | Apr 11, 2011 1:22:35 PM

Don't worry the people who say thug this thug that will be on their hands and knees thanking him for the championship he'll bring to the Carolina's along with the rest of the Panthers. I'm a white guy and I'll admit I was a little leery towards Newton coming here, but not anymore I do see his talent, black or not. NONE OF THE BUST QB'S in the past come close to his talent NONE.

Posted by: panthersfan | Apr 11, 2011 1:26:41 PM

Which is worse, they draft Newton and he doesn't pan out, or they pass on him and he ends up being a hall of famer? (not saying that is will be a HoFer, just asking)

Posted by: Non-Hunter | Apr 11, 2011 1:27:38 PM

Draft Cam

Sign Moore

Sign a VET

Send the Pickle to the YMCA flag football team.

Posted by: MELISSA | Apr 11, 2011 1:37:59 PM

Anthony,

How many 19 and 20 year old young men that have lived faultless life. I spend my youth in the military and I can promise you that I have made mistakes, but it those mistakes that give me a reference point as an older man. I am sure you would not have a problem getting Big ben if we could.

Posted by: jb | Apr 11, 2011 1:42:16 PM