« What becomes of Clausen? | Main | Newton: "I strive to be great" »

April 29, 2011

Panthers go back to work

As team employees took down the tents and barriers from Thursday night's draft party, Panthers players walked through the Bank of America Stadium parking lot this morning returning to work.

Quarterback Matt Moore said it was “a little weird” to be back following a seven-week lockout and several days of limbo while players and owners squared off in federal court.

Moore is Exhibit A in the weirdness of the labor situation. He came to the stadium without a contract as one of the Panthers' 28 free agents.

“I don't know what's going to happen when I walk in the door,” Moore said. “But I'm happy to be here.”

While the NFL waits for the Eighth Circuit Court to rule on its stay request, players are allowed to work out at team facilities, meet with coaches and pick up playbooks.

The league has yet to announce a schedule for when trades and free-agent signings can begin, though it is expected to be after the draft ends Saturday.

About a dozen players showed up at the Panthers' stadium Friday. Quarterback Jimmy Clausen was one of the first ones in the building the morning after the Panthers took Auburn quarterback Cam Newton with the No. 1 pick.

Center Ryan Kalil said players seemed excited about Newton, who is expected to be in Charlotte by midday.

“Obviously, any way we can get some guys to come in and help us win more than two games I'm all about it,” Kalil said.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on April 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

Comments

Maybe this will light a fire under Clausen and he plays well enough to get some trade value this year.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 29, 2011 10:53:36 AM

Correct Adam. Maybe in a year or so, we could be sitting in the same position that the Eagles are in. An in place QB and one with some trade value for future picks.

Posted by: Jrauhauser | Apr 29, 2011 10:59:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Clausen may still have value elsewhere in the league, or conversely he might kick it up a notch and play the lights out for us this year.

This may also make Smitty re-think about sticking around.

Posted by: manu4t | Apr 29, 2011 11:23:31 AM

@Jrauhauser:

Great point, Newton will be able to extend plays and Smith will have a great chance to be one of the NFLs top WRs again. This is good for everybody, except Clausen (Moore,Pike..).

Posted by: Dusty | Apr 29, 2011 11:39:00 AM

A good Clausen, is a scared Clausen .

Posted by: mat | Apr 29, 2011 11:41:45 AM

If they play by the 2010 rules, Moore will be a Panther, since they tendered him and he would be foolish not to sign the tender.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 29, 2011 11:45:38 AM

No doubt this is Newtons team now, however Clausen can still be a good QB. Both of them working together bringing different, yet great talents may just be the Panthers way of saying we're gonna train, train train, work work work! which means...win win win!

Posted by: panthersfan | Apr 29, 2011 11:46:03 AM

I just came back from the future. The Panthers finished the season 1-15 (they beat the Cardinals in their first game). Cam Newton was sacked eight times in his final game of the season. The Inside the Panthers blog focused on how they hoped Panthers could "get it right" this year with their number one draft pick and lamented how much was being spent on Newton.

Posted by: Aaron | Apr 29, 2011 11:49:39 AM

Aaron... since you have infinite wisdom of the future why dont you go buy a powerball ticket and stop wasting your time here.

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Apr 29, 2011 11:52:52 AM

Aaron Carter^ don't post here with negativity.

Posted by: panthersfan | Apr 29, 2011 12:03:43 PM

Dear Aaron. "The future" for you (head up your ass) doesn't include the rest of us. Enjoy the view but feel free to keep it to yourself.

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Apr 29, 2011 12:25:29 PM

I know we all like to be cynical and rip things apart that we don't like or understand. But for once, can the city and the fans of Charlotte, be hopeful instead of so da@m pessimistic all the time. You know what we can have control over and can ultimately help put OUR team succeed??? Some support, encouragement, kind words. I know its a new phenomenon, but hey, talking Sh!t only got us 2 games last year.

Posted by: Reggie-D | Apr 29, 2011 12:29:51 PM

I'm surprised by all the negative feedback on Newton. It must be from the same people who jumped off the bandwagon after the Jake Delhomme meltdown. Panthers need an impact player at QB. Moore Pike'n Pickles are not the answer.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Apr 29, 2011 12:47:21 PM

I really hope we are able to move up into the 2nd round today. If we give up #66 and a 2nd or 3rd next year, we better be able to get an impact player. I know the ABCers hate to hear it, but Marvin Austin would be a great value pick in the 2nd, as would Stephen Paea if we want to go DT. If we decide to go CB, gotta be Aaron Williams or Brandon Harris I'd say. Either way, I hope we are able to move up. Getting that extra 3rd rounder for Pep was pretty nice, since we get to end today and start tomorrow off.

Posted by: tom P | Apr 29, 2011 1:06:12 PM

DT & CB & WR are our need postitions now... hopefully the free agency thing gets cleared up soon so we can start adressing possible needs thru that market

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Apr 29, 2011 1:16:39 PM

Tom P - agreed it would be great to get Austin, but we dont want to pull an ATL and barter off a bunch of picks for a position pick. We have needs across the board, I say we wait it out and get what falls to us. DT and DE are deep in this draft. If we do move up, though, I could see Chud going after Kyle Rudolph.

Posted by: manu4t | Apr 29, 2011 1:18:17 PM

Wow. Didn't expect such backlash. Hey, I love my Panthers. I'm just disappointed they are going to spend so much money on another JaMarcus Russell. I hope I'm wrong. With the run on QBs in the first round, it seems like there would have been a better opportunity to trade and get more value for the #1 pick.

And, hey Fatty...if you don't like freedom of expression, please feel free to go to China or Syria. Don't insult me. And, I should report your use of foul language to the Observer. I'd wait for an apology but I'm sure you don't have enough class for that.

Posted by: Aaron | Apr 29, 2011 1:41:07 PM

haha.. aaron said.. i should report you to the observer.. go back to preschool

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Apr 29, 2011 1:57:09 PM

Aaron, feel free to utilize your right to freedom of speech but pls take the negativity elsewhere. The messages where a lot more positive today until I read yours. Lets move forward. Bash later if things dont pan out. As of right now Cam is batting a thousand.

Posted by: RF | Apr 29, 2011 2:10:28 PM

Why the constant comparisons to JaMarcus Russell? Other than size, they have nothing in common football-wise.

Posted by: Matt Moore | Apr 29, 2011 2:39:56 PM

I think the competition will be good for Cam, Jimmy, and Matt.

Posted by: Jimmy | Apr 29, 2011 2:41:27 PM

I love freedom of expression. Just not yours nimrod and apparently neither does anyone else. Evidently you can't handle my "freedom of expression." And by all means feel free to go tattle on me, I could give a damn. Make sure mommy has your supper ready and a fresh diaper too for night-night time. Grow a pair Sally. Back the Panthers or by all means, back off.

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Apr 29, 2011 3:30:26 PM

Matt, you're wrong. They're both big-bodied, big-armed QBs without the mental acumen to succeed at the NFL level. Hell, Newton couldn't even tell you a single play from his Auburn playbook!

Posted by: MichaelProcton | Apr 29, 2011 4:03:25 PM

The main question I have is... Cam MAY be, and thats a HUGE may be the future but we kind of need someone NOW!! His learning curve will be so steep its crazy and he is a spotlight lover so lets be real about him being much help this year. Another question.. if we suck and get the first pick next year do we take ANOTHER QB ...after all Luck is all but a HOFer in most eyes?

Posted by: tman | Apr 29, 2011 4:20:40 PM

Good thing newton wont be calling any plays from the auburn play book. im much more intersted in him calling the PANTHERS plays

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Apr 29, 2011 4:22:47 PM