« Panthers take two defensive tackles in third round | Main | 5th round: WR Kealoha Pilares to Panthers »

April 30, 2011

Fourth-round pick has checkered past

The Panthers started the third day of the draft the same way the started the first day: By taking a high-risk, high-reward player.

With starting corner Richard Marshall expected to leave in free agency, the Panthers took troubled West Virginia cornerback Brandon Hogan with the first pick in the fourth round.

Hogan battled injuries and off-the-field issues at West Virginia, where he had 37 tackles, six pass breakup and three interceptions last fall.

But Hogan said he would not be able to run full-speed until August after tearing the ACL in his left knee in the regular-season finale Dec. 4 against Rutgers. Hogan, 5-10 and 195 pounds, missed the Champs Sports Bowl against N.C. State with the injury and did not participate in the combine.

He also played last season with a biceps injury.

Hogan had several suspensions in Morgantown. He missed most of spring practice last year for academic reasons, and pleaded guilty last June for public urination.

Hogan was arrested in October for DUI after being stopped for driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

Hogan said he had learned from off-the-field issues.

“I feel like I've grown up from it, and it can't be a problem,” he said.

When healthy, Hogan said he has the 40-yard dash in the 4.4-second range.

Draft experts praised Hogan for his quickness and aggressive playing style.

"I think I can tackle really well and my cover skills are pretty good," Hogan said.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on April 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Comments

wow! injury issues and character issues all in one, what a total package!! I really hope I'm completely wrong, but I really do believe we're on the fast track to laughing stock status. Again, I hope I'm wrong!!!!

Posted by: jason wilmington | Apr 30, 2011 12:30:42 PM

This is a very disappointing pick. There were 21 CB's rated higher than this guy still on the board! SI had him projected as a 7th round pick.

Posted by: Stephen Smith | Apr 30, 2011 12:32:38 PM

AWFUL pick. 2 arrests and a citation, academic problems, fitness problems, ACL tear -- it's rare to see a guy who has EVERY possible red flag at once.

Posted by: J. | Apr 30, 2011 12:36:09 PM

Pacman Jones part 2...well done Marty, spinning down the well of mediocrity.

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Apr 30, 2011 12:37:24 PM

Mel kiper had him ranked pretty high with all the CB's remaining, and this guy will some aggression to the backfield, which we need as long as he behaves

Posted by: gridiron | Apr 30, 2011 12:37:43 PM

@ stephen smith

god please don't talk about the 7th round, I hate to think what we'll do then. Most likely we'll trade next years 1st rounder to move up in the 7th and pick some place kicker from Coastal Carolina or some sh== like that. lol

Posted by: jason wilmington | Apr 30, 2011 12:38:03 PM

Stay quiet Jason...don't give Marty any ideas!

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Apr 30, 2011 12:39:30 PM

good point, sorry guys my bad

Posted by: jason wilmington | Apr 30, 2011 12:43:03 PM

Notice how quiet it is on here today. A message unto itself perhaps?

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Apr 30, 2011 12:49:05 PM

I could have made a better pick. Searcy, UNC.

Posted by: gs | Apr 30, 2011 12:50:07 PM

You would've BEEN a better pick.

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Apr 30, 2011 12:53:03 PM

I think this says a lot about Mr. Richardson's faith in Ron Rivera to keep his players in check. I've been watching film on youtube of all the picks and I'm getting quite excited. Cam will get the happy fans back to the stadium and these young bucks will make games fun again. Can't wait. Go Cats!

Posted by: 121 | Apr 30, 2011 1:02:46 PM

They must really think the oline will stay healthy this yr, would have like to address the rg position. Unless of course they think Duke R will get his head straight. Also what about the receiver, linebacker( incase James a or Thomas d leaves), and TEnd( both Cameron and Stocker are gone) unless they think Gary b is the TEnd of the future after Shockey is gone.

Posted by: Lol | Apr 30, 2011 1:03:21 PM

Welcome to the next Cincinati Bengals. Shockey, Newton, now this 'character'. Obviously the goal now is to build a team of turds!

Posted by: Wayne D | Apr 30, 2011 1:03:35 PM

This is looking like the Panthers' worst draft ever. Absolutely nothing to look forward to, except hoping for everything to get blown up very quickly, in time to draft Andrew Luck next year.

Posted by: Wayne D | Apr 30, 2011 1:05:19 PM

So you guys know each other... Are u players?

Posted by: Handyman | Apr 30, 2011 1:05:24 PM

Good 1, BarelyCare

Posted by: gs | Apr 30, 2011 1:06:40 PM

About Hurney stop trading away future picks, only time will tell if this was a good draft until they produce on the field. The Bucs, Saints, and Falcons are having a great draft btw. JR has change from not wanting character guys to take risk with players with huge upside.

Posted by: Lol | Apr 30, 2011 1:07:52 PM

Shoulda took Kendric Burney! He is a better CB

Posted by: Duston | Apr 30, 2011 1:07:56 PM

121...I think this says a lot about Jerry being preoccupied with destroying the league.

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Apr 30, 2011 1:08:23 PM

This will go down as the worst draft in franchise history when all is said and done. Until next year when we have the 1st pick again and trade it because "we don't need Andrew Luck because we have someone that strives to be great!"

Posted by: likwit | Apr 30, 2011 1:10:01 PM

Regardless agree the cb is raw, and potentially a court case but unfortunately we seem to be taking a turn towards risk and desperation vs. Character guys as we have in the past. What I want to know is A. Who's driving this change and will these picks be an albatross around gurneys neck if they fail and B. With smithy clearing out his locker and requesting a trade and us conspicuously not taking WR help.... Are we trading smithy for a WR??

Posted by: Handyman | Apr 30, 2011 1:11:18 PM

Hurney's neck (freaking spell correct)

Posted by: Handyman | Apr 30, 2011 1:12:32 PM

Oh, and to the guy saying that the entire NFC South is having a great draft. Did you happen to see what the Falcons gave up to draft Julio "hands of stone" Jones?

Posted by: likwit | Apr 30, 2011 1:13:11 PM

Let me guess. No one on this board has any idea who this kid is. You read the words injured and character issues and now you are once again calling for marty's head. Since I'm sure you geniuses posting on here have spent the last several months interviewing and working out draft prospects and you have a full staff devoted to ranking/organizing several hundred players I will trust you guys over paid professionals.

Posted by: realfan | Apr 30, 2011 1:15:47 PM