« Mock Draft 5.0: M.O.C.K. in the USA | Main | Is there a QB worth a top-5 pick in draft? »

April 07, 2011

Panthers throwing draft-day party

Panthers' fans will have better access at Bank of America Stadium than the team's players on the first night of the draft, assuming the lockout is still in place on April 28.

The Panthers are hosting a draft party that will include tours of the Panthers' locker room and a 'Kids Combine,' allowing kids to kick field goals and throw the ball around Bank of America Stadium.

The first round will be shown on Jumbotrons inside the stadium, and on large LED screens outside in the Morehead Street lot.

After the Panthers make their first-round selection shortly after 8 p.m. (assuming they don't trade down), country music artist and N.C. Native Jason Michael Carroll will perform.

Gates open at 5:30 p.m. Food and beverages will be available at the Bud Light-sponsored event.

ESPN will cover all three days of the draft for those who'd prefer to listen to Mel Kiper from their couch.

The NFL Network will have cameras in the Panthers' draft room throughout the weekend, while UNC's Butch Davis is one of four college coaches who will serve as guest analysts for the network (Brian Kelly, Nick Saban and Bret Bielema are the others).

The Panthers have the No. 1 overall pick, and four picks among the first 100 selections. Carolina has eight picks in all, including three compensatory picks.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on April 7, 2011 at 03:02 PM | Permalink

Comments

This is pure speculation, but does anyone think that this means they will keep the #1 pick, and they will draft a QB? After all, would the Panthers spend this kind of money if they weren't going to do something big on draft night (and anger an already irritated fan base)?

Not a rhetorical question - I would like to hear intelligent non-insulting opinions on this.

Posted by: manu4t | Apr 7, 2011 3:33:52 PM

That comment made absolutely no sense. How would them having a draft party have anything to do with taking a QB? I hope we trade down and take P.P.

Posted by: Crusher | Apr 7, 2011 3:40:23 PM

@manu4t. I think that is possible. Bit, I also feel like they are really trying to reach out to the fans during the lockout and after such a bad season.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 7, 2011 3:40:28 PM

Jerry Richardson should get down on his knees and kiss my a$$.

Posted by: exit0 | Apr 7, 2011 3:43:26 PM

Posted by: MHernandez | Apr 7, 2011 3:43:26 PM

I agree with Crusher. Peterson would be a great addition

Posted by: Panthers24 | Apr 7, 2011 3:44:49 PM

Absolutely!

Posted by: JKistler | Apr 7, 2011 3:44:49 PM

The Panthers have been doing a lot of fan friendly things this offseason for PSL holders that I haven't seen in the past. I guess they figured out that bad season + lockout - consensus #1 pick to rally around = angry fans. Granted I would be much happier if they reduced ticket or beer prices.

Posted by: anon | Apr 7, 2011 3:55:01 PM

YEAH!

Posted by: GOPANTHERSYEA! | Apr 7, 2011 3:56:18 PM

"Jimmy Clausen is the future of this team. I don't think you can argue with last year. It wasn't his fault. Clausen I am your biggest fan!"

Is that you hiding Mei K lol?

Anyway the Newton bashers wouldn't show up unless they took someone else.

Posted by: lol | Apr 7, 2011 3:59:03 PM

I agree with the original poster need to make a splash with a party , My only concern is you thought that out and again I doubt they did..... Even to the point of them trading the Picks for 2 next year and not even having a pick but a Party...

Posted by: PaantherFan | Apr 7, 2011 4:01:43 PM

Select Cam Newton and give us a reason to celebrate!!!

Posted by: Trey | Apr 7, 2011 7:14:34 PM

Newton Nation Shall prevail!

Posted by: Cheven | Apr 7, 2011 10:39:23 PM

I'm happy with either Newton or Gabbert. It gives us fans something to look forward to. Besides, I personally believe both players will be great players in the NFL. I'd also like to see the panthers get back to the top of the 2nd round. How would that happen?
By-the-way even though I'm a college kid, I'm taking off work April 28th to see my Panthers take the future players of years to come! They better pick a QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: panthersfan | Apr 7, 2011 10:45:19 PM

This has Danny Morrison's fingerprints all over it. He tried to make training camp more fan friendly. I think it's a great idea. The experience of getting on the field of BOFA stadium and kicking the ball around will be something the kids will remember for a lifetime. This is how you build longterm fan loyalty.

Posted by: Jimcat | Apr 8, 2011 6:32:42 AM

Select Cam Newton and give us a reason to celebrate!!!

Posted by: Trey | Apr 7, 2011 7:14:34 PM

AGREED!!

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 8, 2011 6:52:17 AM

Trey and D.W.G.

You're going to be very, very disappointed. It will not happen. The Panthers have other needs and they already have a QB in Clausen. The team will give Clausen a second chance because he did not get a fair shake with Foxie last year. Anyone with REAL knowledge of the game will tell you this. The typical fan who thinks Clausen stinks, based on last year, does not really understand the circumstances of the 2010 season.

Any team that drafts Cam Newton knows he will NOT play this year and probably not in 2012, either. Is that what Panther fans are looking forward to? Didn't Carolina fans get enough benchwarming from that converted QB to WR, the fat and out of shape Armanti Edwards? Again, Cam Newton will NOT be on the field in 2011; He is not ready.
Marcel Dareus' is only a 2 down player and not worthy of the 1st pick (he will not be in on passing downs). The only name left is Patrick Peterson.

Posted by: Dug E Fresh | Apr 8, 2011 9:42:38 AM

Can't Wait!

I've been looking for an estabishment with a good atmosphere where I can spend $6.00 on a beer.

Is there anyone else lining up to go?

Posted by: Riverbuck | Apr 8, 2011 10:07:50 AM

Draft Cam or stay locked out.

Posted by: MELISSA | Apr 8, 2011 10:19:39 AM

It should be the "Cam Newton ain't comin party" which i will have some Cam lovers tears put in a bottle to spray on them later and laugh!

Posted by: QB | Apr 8, 2011 1:00:25 PM

Bobcats have done this in the past, Hornets also...This is a good idea to build some fan support, especially folks that have kids.
It has 'Nothing' to do with them drafting a particular player. Until the clock on the draft board reads 00:00...anything can happen this year, with no FA's to pickup, no trades for veterans. All the teams will be filling spots with players that can take some time to develop thru the season..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Apr 8, 2011 11:17:32 PM

All children will be happy to do this when they come there.

Posted by: essay order | Apr 15, 2011 9:36:11 AM