« Newton: "I strive to be great" | Main | Panthers take two defensive tackles in third round »

April 29, 2011

Patriots use Panthers' 'Armanti' pick for CB

The New England Patriots selected Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling with the first pick of the NFL draft's second round.

That's the pick the Panthers traded to the Patriots last season for a third-round selection in 2009, which Carolina used to draft Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards.

With cornerback a need for the Panthers, they might have taken Dowling if they still had the pick.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on April 29, 2011 at 06:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Armanti was a waisted pick. 4th round material at best. What a waist of such a valuable pick. Its not his fault though! We should have waited to see if he would have fallen to us in the 4th. WAY TO GO HURNIA!

Posted by: chuck | Apr 29, 2011 8:16:34 PM

looks like 4th grade was a WASTE for you^

Posted by: bob | Apr 29, 2011 8:30:50 PM

How does Hurney keep his job? He has for the past 3 or 4 years thrown away EARLY draft picks and in return, selected very questionable players. A part of me hopes that Newton fails so that Hurney does get FIRED!!

Posted by: CharlotteFan | Apr 29, 2011 8:38:57 PM

They might have taken 100 different players with that pick. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, other than to restate what we knew for over a year, that we traded our 2nd rounder to NE for a project. Guys rip Armanti for not producing last year-just curious, other than Beason and I guess Kalil and Gross, who exactly DID produce last year??

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Apr 29, 2011 8:40:01 PM

Time for Panthers pick I hope they get Jerrel Jernigan

Posted by: cboss | Apr 29, 2011 8:40:40 PM

Oh well maybe next round. He is my pick for steal of the draft. Jerrel Jernigan or Leonard Hankerson would be steals at this point.

Posted by: cboss | Apr 29, 2011 8:52:25 PM

I'm glad that no WR has ever had a bad rookie year and become a great player, so we can already declare Armanti a bust.

I'm glad nobody said that to Miles Austin, Wes Welker, and Steve Smith. They were absolute non-factors as WRs their rookie years, and they actually had the luxury of playing that position in college.

Posted by: Shut Up | Apr 29, 2011 8:54:57 PM

They might have picked him with that pick. What an idiot! Hey they might not have too. I'm in the US coast guard stationed in Savannah Ga and I come to this sight to get some good info on my carolina panthers and this us what I get...what a waste of my time.

Posted by: Jon Parket | Apr 29, 2011 8:56:14 PM

Will see what happen but guys not to be negative I feel this is going to be a real bad year for us too many project and Marty cant draft that well he got some good players but mostly alot of bad

Posted by: NFL | Apr 29, 2011 9:02:52 PM

just wanted to point out we could have had ryan mallett in the third round and drafted either peterson, green, or dareus with the 1 and maybe even traded back to get more picks. peterson and dareus are 10 yr pros. Not a Cam hater post, I honestly hope he does well. But Mallett has a great arm, all of the scouts agree, assuming he can keep off the police blotter. could have been a franchise QB potentially.

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Apr 29, 2011 9:26:01 PM

I would have thought they address Oline(rg/depth) and receiver(since smith wants out), guess not. I liked Hankerson, to bad he went to the skins. Are they going to draft a TEnds or they think either Gary B or Dante R are the Tend of the future?

Posted by: jerome | Apr 29, 2011 10:34:52 PM

Alright. Now we can scrutinize this guys rookie year. If he sucks will AE still be a bust? By the way, can we get off the guys back? He fumbled one punt, bobbled another. Fox didn't want him so to the bench he went he did well catching passes in the preseason. Led the team in fact. He Is a playmaker. I truly wish the Panthers would cut AE so Belechik could make him a star.

Posted by: AEisnotabust | Apr 30, 2011 8:03:10 AM

Armanti was not draft worthy. He would've made a nice free agent pick up but should not have made the roster last year.

Posted by: john858 | Apr 30, 2011 8:18:49 PM