« Projected depth chart for Panthers | Main | More on Panthers' other Auburn pick-up »

May 05, 2011

How will Newton do in first year?

Six writers and/or analysts for the NFL Network/NFL.com made their picks for offensive and defensive rookies of the year in 2011, and one only took a quarterback.

And it wasn't Cam Newton.

Michael Lombardi, who spent 20 years in the front office for five NFL teams, thinks Andy Dalton will emerge as RoY because he will have the opportunity to play in Cincinnati.

The other picks were all receivers or running backs -- former UNC wideout Greg Little was Jason La Canfora's choice.

Being a rookie quarterback in the NFL is tough enough. Being a rookie quarterback in the NFL without the benefit of a full offseason of minicamps and OTAs only makes things tougher.

But at least one NFL Network analyst believes Newton will have the most success among rookie quarterbacks -- if the Panthers play to his strengths. Jamie Dukes, a former NFL center, said (in the video embedded in the above link) that Newton will be OK if he follows the advice Steve Young gave to Michael Vick when Vick was entering the league:

"Read one, read two, and do what you do."

In other words, don't camp out in the pocket going through three- and four-read progressions. Based on what Ron Rivera said last week after Carolina drafted Newton, the Panthers hope to do what Rob Chudzinski does (vertical stretch in passing game), as well as what Newton does (make plays with his feet a la Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers).

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on May 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

Comments

If we can't get a vet in here to start, then Jamie Dukes is 100% correct. 1, 2, do what you do. If Fig Newton is going to be the starter, then he just needs to manage the games, not win them. If that means looking at Smitty (if still here), then a check down (RB or Shockey), or just get yards he'll have a chance to be productive. We saw what happened to Jimmy when they said here, now win us some games.

Posted by: pnthrfan007 | May 5, 2011 11:28:44 AM

I hope he has an incredible rookie year followed by a hall of fame career (I have serious doubts about that though). I can honestly say, I'd love nothing more than to eat a heaping helping of crow a couple years from now. At present, I still think it was a lousy pick.

Posted by: jason wilmington | May 5, 2011 11:30:35 AM

I like turtles and Cam Newton! Woof woof.... I mean Meow!

Posted by: Sir Purr | May 5, 2011 11:30:40 AM

Cam Newton has a nice smile....

Posted by: Scott | May 5, 2011 11:44:53 AM

I hope I'm eating crow too, but don't see that happening. With a lockout, having to actually learn an in depth play book and also learn how to read defenses (which he has never done), I see him getting flustered and if he doesn't have the mental fortitude, he could collapse on himself. But all that said, I still don't like the guy. You don't come in requesting someone else's number. D*** move.

Posted by: Smitty | May 5, 2011 11:50:10 AM

With a healthy aggressive offensive line and a strong running game like our recent years' past, Cam will have less work to do. He just needs to manage the game and find open receivers in less than 4 seconds. Sounds easy, I know, but this offense can be prolific. It's starts with the line though!

Posted by: KBB | May 5, 2011 11:50:51 AM

Hey Smitty - For the record, "he didn't come in and request the number". In reality, a reporter (who else) asked him if he would want it, knowing it would be print material if he said yes. Of course he said yes, you would too, any player would. Now all he has to do is pay Jason Baker $ so Clausen can get his old #7 back. Clausen didin't wear #2 at ND. Baker denied Clausen last year. Players across the league work this stuff out amongst themselves all the time. The press just wants to create controversary where there is none because they have nothing else to write about. Don't fall for the bait they dangle.

Posted by: Frieda's Boss | May 5, 2011 12:14:45 PM

KBB - is more right than wrong IMHO.

Posted by: Frieda's Boss | May 5, 2011 12:15:52 PM

Hey Smitty, lots of players in lots of sports want to keep their favorite number because of the sentimental value. Charlotte is extremely excited to have Cam Newton and one or two of his detractors will not change that fact.

Posted by: Chuck | May 5, 2011 12:33:55 PM

I have a feeling Cam newton will start week 1. He will have just as much time in the Panthers new scheme as Clausen & Pike. Considering that he is significantly more talented & the new scheme will be built around him I think he will start from the get go. I also think there will be a lot of surprised people when it comes to Newton. He can pass the football. He will impact the Panthers in a positive way. He may also end up being the NFL Offensive rookie of the year. As far as the number goes. I thought the #1 he held up on draft day looked pretty good. If Clausen wants his jersey to match his place on the depth chart then Cam should be fine with that.

Posted by: Smiley | May 5, 2011 12:41:02 PM

Must see TV- I can't say it enough. Give him the key to the city. The money he is going to henerate is going to be AWESOME! Thanks Marty, I love the pick.

Posted by: Karaokekeith | May 5, 2011 12:48:20 PM

Generate, but you know what I mean- must see TV!

Posted by: Karaokekeith | May 5, 2011 12:48:58 PM

Ain't managing the game had led them to a 2-14 record? I can't take any season with run,run,pass, punt haha. Sam B, Matt R, Flacco and Mark S didn't have problems making more than 2 reads, even though they aren't scrambling Qb's. Just have the receivers run quick easy routes to make his progressions even better.

"If we can't get a vet in here to start"

Even if they get a rookie, he won't start because he doesn't know the plays. Especially since there's no FA, he won't even get a contract along the playbook. Rumors has it they don't want Billy V, even though he knows the plays.

Posted by: jerome | May 5, 2011 1:06:17 PM

"Even if they get a rookie"

I meant a "veteran".

Posted by: jerome | May 5, 2011 1:32:27 PM

As an Auburn fan I watched Cam play all but one games last year. He is truely awesome. Y'all will be alright with Cam. He will emerge as one of the greatest QB's in history.The trash talkers from Alabama and Georgia will be eating crow soon enough. If there is a season!

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2011 2:12:38 PM

With our HORRIBLE O-line play, it doe snot matter. We will once again set records for ineptness on the offensive side. I will lay money we do not average 10 ponts a game.

Posted by: JOE MAMMA | May 5, 2011 2:55:19 PM

I remember last year when everyone was saying how great a season jimmy would have because he knew the offense! No one is an expert!

Posted by: joe cool | May 5, 2011 3:32:12 PM

Well said K-Keith.

Posted by: nasty 704 | May 5, 2011 4:11:37 PM

Uniform number controversy? Consider the Florida laptop strategy: Newton will just steal the jersey and paint his name over Clausen's. When the equipment manager comes to check it out Cam will say he bought it from some guy, throw it out behind a dumpster, and plead the whole thing down to taking an extra yogurt from the training table. Too bad the Wonderlic doesn't measure that kind of opportunistic thinking.

In other news, this year each Panther locker will have its own combination lock, just like high school gym.

Posted by: MP Sully | May 5, 2011 4:30:11 PM

Cam will not win any Rookie of the Year awards because nobody outside of the Carolinas watches Panther games. The voters at NBC, ESPN, and the NFL network don't broadcast any of the Carolina games. Jimmy Clausen should get rid of his #2 jersey and get a fresh start. #17 is available.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | May 5, 2011 4:57:20 PM

the panthers will suck again. no matter what.

Posted by: dennis deatherage | May 5, 2011 6:21:43 PM

Silly "sports writers." Only I know how the man called NEWTON -- who, during the fall previous, sported the numeral 2 on his tunic -- will fare during the contests soon to commence. (And I assure you, my fellow devotees of the cats of black, they shall indeed do battle on the turfs of fine sod throughout the kingdom.) I will give you a brief glimpse: The man will… Oh never mind. Dinner is prepared. I must go.

Posted by: Nostradamus | May 5, 2011 6:44:56 PM

newton spelled backwards:notwen

Posted by: mikey | May 5, 2011 7:10:27 PM

Great points KBB... I think that Cam will be able to have success, as long as there is a scheme that is in place that suits his strengths. The offensive line will have to do well, and that will be helped by a strong running game. If they can have a consistent running game (which is possible, since Jonathon Stewart and DeAngelo Williams have proven that their RB1 material, and Mike Goodson even had some good games last year), then that will allow Cam to use his skills. He's going to make mistakes, since he's a rookie but he can't be caught up in "managing the game". The Panthers drafted him because of his superior athletic ability and the vast amount of potential that he has. He's going to have to make some extraordinary plays, especially since the Panthers don't have much at wide receiver.

I don't think that his past is going to come back to haunt him, because he has some great mentors like Warren Moon in his life. With that type of guidance and the incredible skill set that he has, he is definitely poised to be one of the great QBs in the league. Something definitely has to be said for his work ethic, and I don't think that he is going to take anything less than excellence from himself. Hopefully the Panthers can implement a system that lets Cam show off the talent that made him the #1 pick. This pick puts them back on track to being one of the elite teams in the NFL, since Ron Rivera should be able to improve the defense a lot.

Posted by: Sports 1 Marketing | May 5, 2011 7:37:37 PM

We just paid 50 million to win 3 games this year and look like idiots when we pass on 3 NFL ready QBs at next year's draft. Prove me wrong Cam!

Posted by: Jimbo | May 5, 2011 7:52:24 PM