« The list: Free agent QBs | Main | Freeman thrives in leadership role »

June 27, 2011

Clausen featured on ESPN "Sunday Conversation"

Jimmy Clausen isn't going away.

Not yet anyway.

Last night the Panthers' second-year quarterback was on ESPN's Sunday Conversation on SportsCenter with Colleen Dominguez.

Clausen, as is his custom, stayed away from anything controversial during the interview.

Despite being thrown to the fire as a rookie (1-9 as a starter) behind an injured line with a receiving corps featuring two rookies, Clausen expressed no regrets about being forced into the lineup after Matt Moore struggled and later was lost with a season-ending shoulder injury.

"Under those circumstances we were in last year, the coaches needed me to go out and play and try to go out and do everything I could to help the team win. And obviously, it wasn't good enough," Clausen said. "That's why I'm out here working each and every day to get better and do everything I can to help the team win this year."

One of the more interesting things Clausen said related to Ron Rivera and Rob Chudzinski's offensive system, which has been billed as a departure from the conservative schemes employed by John Fox and Jeff Davidson.

But Clausen said that's not necessarily the case.

"To be honest, it's the same concepts, just different terminology," he said. "So you have to get the terminology down. But the concepts are pretty much similar to every system."

As for the competition with Cam Newton, Clausen said it would be up to the coaches to decide his role. Clausen said he enjoyed working out and going over the playbook with Newton earlier this month at the player-organized OTAs in Charlotte.

"This guy, Cam Newton, I can't wait to work with him during camp," Clausen said. "I was just out there in Carolina with the team two weeks ago for a two-week period. It was great working with Cam. He's a great talent. He's just going to help our team."

And if Clausen has an idea how the No. 2 jersey situation will play out, he wasn't saying. Newton wore No. 2 at Auburn and said he'd like to keep it.

So far Clausen isn't budging.

"It's my number right now, and we'll see what happens," he said. "But as of now, it's my number."

The other thing I took away from the interview -- and from talking with Clausen in April at Jordan Gross' charity kickball event -- was his improved physical condition. Clausen looked a little soft as a rookie, but he appears to be much more toned this year.

The ESPN piece featured a couple of clips of Clausen training in his native California. It was a Rocky IV-type regimen, minus the snow.

Clausen was shown pulling a tire, throwing one, and doing deep knee-bends while balancing a long pole.

Now he just has to start hitting the deep ball.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM | Permalink

Comments

The dude got shafted by a lousy team and lousy fans. Hopefully, for Clausen's sake, he will get traded to a better team with better fans.

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Jun 27, 2011 3:12:33 AM

Out of town Panther fan? You sure about that buddy? As for Clausen,he got shafted by lousy QB play. He wasn't the only one for sure, but dude didn't play well and that's that. Stop making excuses for him. Of course I want Clausen to succeed, because his personal success is good for the team as a whole, so I hope he comes in much improved whenever we play football again. If he proves to be the best QB on the roster then let him start. I watched the interview and he does look more in shape and he sounds like he's a little more mature now, so we'll see. Maybe we'll have a good old-fashioned QB competition in Carolina. Here's to hoping anyway.

Posted by: OBXsurfer4 | Jun 27, 2011 4:15:50 AM

Moore won 2 games with that same "injured line with a receiving corps featuring two rookies" that Clausen threw behind so stop making excuses for Jenny. Maybe now with his "Rocky IV" training he will be good competition for Newton.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Jun 27, 2011 6:40:31 AM

This guy didn't win at Notre Dame, why should the expectation with the Panthers be any different. Unbelievable

Posted by: hardkid24 | Jun 27, 2011 6:40:31 AM

Cam needs to choose #12. IMO one of the greatest numbers a QB can wear. Think about the greats who wore it. It incorporates the fact he was chosen #1 and his coveted #2.

Posted by: beufordtjustice | Jun 27, 2011 7:07:30 AM

Out Of Town Panther Fan is spot on! No one, not Montana, not Manning, not Marino, could have won with that offensive disaster last year. Those who believe otherwise have no clue about football. I do indeed hope Clausen has an opportunity to with another team.

Posted by: Dougie | Jun 27, 2011 7:31:06 AM

The number 12 is worn by WR David Gettis.

Posted by: Tyrone | Jun 27, 2011 7:35:19 AM

Didn't realize that, Dougie. Shows how much of an impression he has made on me! With that being said, probably will be easier to get the number from Gettis than Clausen. Clausen has the ego, and Gettis will be doing a favor for someone who will be be throwing him the ball and making him look like a star! Besides, any decent reciever needs a number in the 80's!

Posted by: Beuford T Justice | Jun 27, 2011 8:43:57 AM

Beauford...are you serious? Forget the fact that you didnt know his number, did you watch any games??? Gettis was outstanding last year for a 6th round draft pick!!!!! He had over 500 yard receiving and 3 td's. Oh what horrible production for a 6th rd rookie!! I will take that anyday from a 6th rd pick!

Posted by: r u serious? | Jun 27, 2011 9:22:40 AM

My worthless two cents about the number 2 is that Cam shouldnt ask for it and Claussen shouldnt volunteer it. Unless Claussen has Newton contribute to a charity or something like that.

Posted by: ps613 | Jun 27, 2011 12:01:34 PM

Here's on thing you can bet on. Clausen will play in the NFL longer than Newton ,unless Newton learns to run WR/TE routes...And there is little chance that Newton will ever wear that #2 jersey unless he's on another team or wears his Aubrn jersey...All these Auburn fans need to root for ATL...At least you want spend as much on gas and hear the BOOO's!

Posted by: QB | Jun 27, 2011 12:28:00 PM

Carolina should trade Clausen to the Redskins for Donovan McNabb..Gives him a fresh start and a chance to be a franchise QB and it gives Carolina a Veteran with a year or two left to give Cam a chance to grow!!!

Posted by: Carolina Redskin Fan | Jun 27, 2011 12:57:20 PM

Clausen can still contribute to any team in the NFL. He just needs some seasoning first. It would have been better for him if he were put in a more stable franchise, so he could learn under someone like Brees, Brady, Manning, etc.

Posted by: Jon L. | Jun 27, 2011 1:12:10 PM

carolina redskin fan, what kind of football have you been watching?
Mcnabb needs to turn in his playbook and go home where he can be near the bathroom when he needs to throw up! We DO NOT NEED him in Charlotte!!!!!!!

Posted by: dbigcat | Jun 27, 2011 1:57:46 PM

You Clausen fans just need to stop with all the its not just him comments. I watch every panther game last year and saw improvement from all the young players but 1 and that was Clausen. He held the ball way to long on most plays. He never took shots down the field. He looked like a deer in headlights whenever there was pressure on him. He had trouble seeing the open receiver. The biggest problem was that he did not improve on any of it. He was still having the same problems at the end of the year. Clausen just simply does not have any upside. What you see is what you get. Thats why he fell so low in the draft. It was like everyone in the NFL knew this except Hurney.

Posted by: c_boss | Jun 27, 2011 1:58:30 PM

Is Jimmy contractually required to say "each and every_____(fill in the blank)" with each and every sentence he utters? Before he goes to bed at night, does he brush each and every tooth? When he gets dressed does he put each and every leg into his pants? Each and every arm into his shirt? We wish Jimmy each and every success but I'm afraid he's going to be warming each and every bench this fall, if they actually play. If not, then I expect Jimmy to be twiddling each and every thumb. And he'll strive to get better. Because that's just who he is each and every hour of each and every day.

Posted by: archie | Jun 27, 2011 5:43:03 PM

Some will continue to go down swinging defending Clausen. If the coaching staff thought he would improve they wouldn't have drafted Newton.

Posted by: Lpdog | Jun 27, 2011 5:56:25 PM

"I don't know if I ever will be a Cam Newton fan. I hope he gets to start right away, just like Clausen. That way, the "Pro Cam" fans will see their hero is a mere mortal rookie QB...just like Clausen was last year."
------------------------------------------
Sounds like you are jealous that Cam has supporters. If he did start and did half way decent, you would make every excuse in the book.

Posted by: Lpdog | Jun 27, 2011 6:01:28 PM

c. boss, we're all impressed you watched every game last year. You know what would really impress us? If you understood football as much as you understood tailgating.

Was Clausen slated to start last year? No. Was there any mention in the OTA's of Clausen starting last year? Rumblings, but no. The job belonged to Matt Moore. Who took the majority of snaps with the first stringers from June through August? Matt Moore....are you with me so far?

Good...Now, the 2010 offensive line was not the 2009 offensive line. Oh no! You had lost your veteran backups, your starting Left Tackle and the guards play was simply dreadful. Matt Moore only has an injured Steve Smith and a bunch of rookies at his disposal for the wideout position. Do you know how a Defensive Coordinator schemes for that? He places 8 in the box and dares the QB to either throw the ball in under 3 seconds OR hand the ball off to a Running Back.
Of course, Foxie, a former Defensive Coordinator himself, is an Offensive wizard, so he'll make adjustments, right? Please pass the vanilla...mmmm, no. The young receivers get stopped at the line, don't have time to complete their route AND....the QB is sacked...OR the running back has nowhere to go and there a loss on the play. Yeah, let's blame it on Clausen.

Yes, C.Boss, that is how it works. Now, you're asking a rookie QB, who was not scheduled to leave the sidelines in 2010, to pick up a ball, pick up complex schemes, with a depleted and under-performing offensive line, rookie receivers, and no help from the tight end....AND you want him to release the ball in under 3.0 seconds? C. Boss, you A) do not understand football AND B) have never, ever played QB.

Anyone who has (including myself) will tell you to put down the bong and return to reality. It's not excuses; it's simple fact. What, I give you a rope and you should be a cowboy? I give you a car and you should be a NASCAR driver?
Clausen is out because he's got an arrogant attitude that people don't like. I can relate and I think he can be a quality NFL QB!

Posted by: Dougie | Jun 27, 2011 6:12:01 PM

Lpdog, you are dealing with a disaster waiting to happen.

Cam Newton still needs to:
1) Learn to consistently take snaps from under Center,
2) Learn to take a 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drop back,
3) Learn to read complex defenses,
4) Learn to audible after defenses are blitzing,
5) Learn to look off of his hot receiver and not telegraph his passes,
6) Learn to look at his 2nd and 3rd options within 3 seconds,
7) Learn to look at BOTH sides of the field,
8) Learn to NOT take off and run after his first read is covered,
9) Learn to slide forward in the pocket after the 7 step drop, again without running,
10) Learn to sense the pressure in the pocket and stay focused on the play,
11) Learn to move around, side to side, in the pocket and not just take off running,
12) Learn to not stand too erect, for that causes overthrows, which is a problem for Cam,
13) Learn to not have his feet spaced too far apart while throwing, because that causes inaccurate throws and interceptions,
14) Learn to be consistent and have a completion rating above 63%

Go ahead and look at the tape of Cam Newton’s 2010 season. Then, take the list from above and scrutinize his play.
Cam Newton can be a great quarterback, but it’s going to take time. He needs at least two off-seasons with a coaching staff working with him to have the opportunity to become successful.

zone-read spread formation.
Newton isn't more dangerous in a pro-style offense. Operating out of the spread, Newton dictated the play and defenses adjusted to him. Working more out of three- and five-step drops flips the script. The defense can then better dictate the tempo, forcing Newton to react more on the fly than he did last year.

Posted by: Dougie | Jun 27, 2011 6:14:27 PM

I take it that Dougie is actually a Panthers coach with lots of time on his hands. He might first want to check that Newton had a 67% completion record last season and his 188 pass efficiency was an NCAA record. Cam ran the offense Auburn gave him and I expect he will be able to run the offense the Panthers put forward though it might be wise for the Panther's OC to take some time to see what Cam does well and install that into the team's plans. Dougies sounds like the kind of guy would tell Stan Musial that he really needed to drop that ridiculous stance if he was going to make it in the majors.

Posted by: Ted | Jun 27, 2011 7:03:47 PM

Give Clausen a chance

Posted by: civie62 | Jun 27, 2011 8:02:08 PM

@Dougie What was your point in all that?
I did play football at QB in high school. Its not college or the pros but I can promise you that I got better every game. You are doing exactly what I said people were doing and thats making excuses for Clausens bad play. I never said there were not young guys playing with him. I said that is not an excuse for his play. All of those young guys improved every week but Clausen was still the same QB he was when they first put him in the game. Im no football genius nor will I ever claim to be but I do have a very high understanding of the game and Clausen is just not good enough to be a starting NFL QB. He is good enough to be a backup. As long as he puts more focus into his game and stop thinking he is better than he is.

Posted by: c_boss | Jun 27, 2011 8:02:37 PM

Yeah Ted, Auburn is the same as the NFL. Next, you'll tell me that Armanti would have been a superb NFL QB if ever given the opportunity.

Ted, I have some bad news for you. Division 1 football moves at a much slower pace than the NFL. Any speed Cam Newton has is negated when lines up behind center. When Cam ends up looking worse than Clausen did last year, you'll wonder why...Then you'll remember what I told you. Andre Ware was an awesome QB coming out of college...and he couldn't adapt. Neither could Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch,and David Klingler,as just a few examples.

Ask yourself how Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon succeeded and what makes Michael Vick so impressive? You also may want to think about how long it took them to become complete NFL Quarterbacks.

Posted by: Dougie | Jun 27, 2011 8:04:24 PM

"Lpdog, you are dealing with a disaster waiting to happen"
--------------------------------------
Dougie, that's a fair post. But if last year can't be considered a disaster I don't know what will. Believe me I'm under no illusion that Cam will come in and take us to the playoffs. I know it'll take time. But one thing Cam may have that Jimmy didn't have is what seems to be a more competent coaching staff. I truly have no idea how Cam will turn out but the guy is a winner.

Posted by: Lamont | Jun 27, 2011 8:59:50 PM