« Panthers have not heard from "Hard Knocks" | Main | What proposed CBA means to Panthers »

June 13, 2011

Newton teaming up with Smith

It appears Cam Newton and Steve Smith will be on the field together at least one more time.

Organizers of Smith's fourth annual football camp -- which will take place Thursday and Friday at Ardrey Kell High -- say Newton is scheduled to appear at the camp one of those two days.

Asked about attending Smith's camp, Newton said he would "work something out."

Newton, the No. 1 overall pick, threw passes to Smith last week at Charlotte Christian when Smith made a surprise visit to the Panthers' optional player-organized workouts. It was the only workout Smith attended.

Newton was complimentary of Smith, a four-time Pro Bowler who has hinted that he wants out of Charlotte after the lockout ends.

"Steve is a person I really admire," Newton said before the Panthers' final workout. "I've heard a lot of things about Steve and only half of them are true. But one thing everybody knows is Steve Smith is a playmaker -- a bona fide playmaker."

"I've talked to Steve numerous times and he's always encouraging me to not settle," Newton added. "And anybody that goes as far to do that is a special person."

Smith told the Observer last week he wants to play for a team committed to winning immediately, but would not say whether the Panthers fall into that category.

Smith said he wants football to be fun again after suffering through last season's 2-14 disaster. Smith is looking forward to this week's camp, in part because he said he gets to be a kid.

Smith, with an assist from the Garth Brooks Foundation, plans to pay the $150 entry fee for about half of the campers.

For more information about the camp, visit www.SteveSmithCamp.com.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Steve Smith and Garth Brooks Foundation, now that is an interesting mix!

Posted by: R.Boggs | Jun 14, 2011 8:38:52 AM

Too bad more of these lowlifes dont heed a much higher calling teaming up to join the US Army or Marines helping their president by doing their part to fight global terrorism mainly in the volatile middle east to keep America free and safe from evil and those who wish it harm.

The lowly NFL fame is but filthy rags compared to the highest honor of fighting to keep America safe and intact even if you sacrificed your life to this worthy cause and buried in Arlington with full honor. Your integrity could never be challenged for eternity.

Pat Tillman is the ONLY real hero the NFL ever produced in recent times who gladly gave up fame and fortune willingly sacrificing his young life for a much greater cause then himself. A real man.

Otherwise all other scum step aside ... You are cowards and unworthy.

Posted by: semper fi | Jun 14, 2011 9:06:43 AM

Fans are sick of todays self absorbed greedy so-called professional athletes who are nothing but a pile of manure compared to those of yesteryear many who fought for America and many who died. There is no defense for this whatsoever.

Thank you Pat Tillman.

Posted by: vet | Jun 14, 2011 10:45:34 AM

This is so awesome that Newton and Smith are developing a good relationship. Smith is coming back I just know it

Posted by: Nick Waites | Jun 14, 2011 2:41:51 PM

I hope there are no flag football scrimmages.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Jun 14, 2011 2:46:33 PM

did i click on the wrong article?

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Jun 14, 2011 2:58:40 PM

Seriously, how did the comments in this article become a debate about the military?!? This has absolutely nothing to do with the military, so leave the politics out of it. It's ridiculous. I'm appreciative of all of our armed forces, but this is not the place to discuss the military.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 14, 2011 3:58:49 PM

Everything on the internet is turning into message boards that are filled with socio-economic and political rheotoric.

can't some sites just talk about football?

does it make me a bad american that i want a reprieve from that stuff sometimes?

Posted by: Cat Man's friend | Jun 14, 2011 4:21:03 PM

Wow - this is the knucklehead board!!! All I can say is the more i read about Newton the more i like him - and i think Smith is thinking that too... Unless we can get a first round pick for Steve we should keep him.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 14, 2011 4:25:44 PM

I would love to see Steve Smith stay as well! I wasn't thrilled with the Newton pick at first, but I've been pleasantly surprised at his demeanor and he's certainly doing all the right things to become a great leader for this team in the future! Let's hope he can light it up on the field in the near future and help Carolina get back to the playoffs! This offseason has been killing us fans waiting for news of the lockout to end...here's to hoping for a deal soon!

Posted by: Jay | Jun 14, 2011 5:13:14 PM

It wouldn't become a debate floor for non-football subjects if the lazy inbreds that run this site and the paper actually monitored things like they should.

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Jun 14, 2011 5:56:50 PM

wasnt Rivera just overseas encouraging our troops?I get it,but its a business just like the 10 banks that would rather see the whole nations economic infrastructure fall than admit they gauged the country dry then didnt lend out any of the money to spure credit like they were supposed too.Be mad at the banks and the price at oil not football and stick to posting on CNN and other real news sources.

Posted by: crunchy | Jun 14, 2011 6:39:03 PM

Man I heard Boss Hog is running for mayor again ! I'm Roscoe P. Coltrane and I'm out !

Posted by: spanky | Jun 14, 2011 9:28:28 PM

Also Pat Tillman was killed by Army Rangers, he didn't believe in the Iraq war and was anti-Bush, his killing happened under very strange circumstances (e.g. there was no enemy fire that day) and the friendly fire death was covered up by the US Army. You can read Krakauer's book Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman or watch the movie his family made to set the record straight or you can keep believing propaganda, but you do a disservice to the man's heroism and legacy by spreading lies. Pat Tillman is the last story you should tell if you want to make the US armed incursions into Afghanistan and Iraq seem noble.

Posted by: sfinsf | Jun 15, 2011 1:55:19 AM

XD, your mom, now that was funny, but on a serious note, some you all are being a little ignorant about the military, we thank you but that was a choice that some people made. Not everyone is cut out for the military. but then again not everyone is cut out for football neither. You all keep bringing up Tillman but he was killed by us on "accident" not because he went out fighting. So you keep talking bs and you keep sounding stupid.

Posted by: Your Fellow American/BIGGEST PANTHER FAN | Jun 15, 2011 2:23:10 AM

I figured all the Smith and Cam haters would be on here but instead it is a dialogue on the military.

@semper fi - first of all, thank you for your service to our country (if you did so). THus said, however, to be a hero you do not have to serve in the military - some people (myself included) wanted to serve and were not qualified medically. Nonetheless, if you take the position that you outline here then you are also casting down all the heroes of 9/11, most of whom were not in the military. I doubt anyone will agree with you on that. People do good things for this country in different ways, we appreciate your service but dont take a holier than thou attitude with everyone because of it.

Posted by: manu4t | Jun 15, 2011 8:31:58 AM

Semper Fi ...your a hero...I agree on Pat Tillman...what an incredible man....we need to celebrate the real heroes of America.....

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Jun 15, 2011 12:11:41 PM

Excellent article about modern day hero Pat Tillman sacrificing his life in mold of the greatness of past professional athletes who never hesitated to serve their country unlike todays absolutely spoiled rotten sorry worthless greedy narcistic overpaid overrated THUGS and PUNKS and their ragged gay dred locks flopping acting like ignorant fools for the tv crowds.

Todays professional sports should all be cancelled banned outlawed and trashed as useless arrogant scumbags to decent society. Trash in trash out.

Lets hope NFL owners fire all the union filth and go to China to hire new players if they have too at 100 yen each per game.

TRASH TRASH TRASH !!!!!!

Posted by: union scabs | Jun 15, 2011 1:07:10 PM

who cares

most fans dont care for either smith or newton

Posted by: benson | Jun 15, 2011 1:36:57 PM

carolina will make it to the superbowl

Posted by: johnny | Jun 15, 2011 6:52:18 PM

Well I apologize to who ever gets offended but my name is SSG Brown and I AM STILL in the US Army. I am 5'5" tall and I am not tall enough for the NBA nor am I big enough for the NFL, was NEVER interested in Hockey or soccer so there goes those thoughts... Anyhow to my brothers out there that have the height, ability or talent... DO YOU! I appreciate that we in fact work together "quid pro qua" we fight for you. To be there (Iraq, Afghanistan, {me personally 5x's}and where ever there's Soldiers fighting for freedom)and see America not faltering, not afraid brings alot of joy to my heart makes me want to Charlie Mike...(Continue Mission)and realize that you couldn't do it without us. I/we enjoy watching the games there and appreciate what you do! I AM A CAROLINA FAN! So Cam...Show the Hell out next Season!

Posted by: Shawn brown | Jun 16, 2011 3:30:18 PM

why did I read all this???

Posted by: i BELIEVE | Jun 16, 2011 4:48:47 PM

Wow it seemed like a descent article and comments till military got involved, So back to football....I hope Smith stays and help develop the Panthers, He's a hell of a guy and an even better athlete.He's what they need. For the people talking thrash about a guy doing charity for children by bringing non-sense in to this conversation find a new place to bitch.Go Panthers!

Posted by: Canadian_Kid | Jun 16, 2011 8:17:48 PM

I hope the bonding between Smith and Newton gives them a chance to work together. If things are still bad make the trade before the trade dead.

25 yr USN Vet, 7-1/2 vet as a US Army Contractor. Semper Fi, I agree with the other poster. You are an imposter. There is no way in HE!! that a true Marine would insult the masses the way you did. While servicing in the service is an honor it doesn't make you a coward if you don't serve. It is why we are an all volunteer service.

A true Marine, has Honor. You have NO HONOR insulting people you don't even know. Go back to watching your John Wayne movies and STFU.

Posted by: David R | Jun 16, 2011 11:13:56 PM

As I'm sure most people don't care for you, benson

Posted by: the truth | Jun 18, 2011 4:08:20 PM