« What proposed CBA means to Panthers | Main | The list: Free agent QBs »

June 23, 2011

Newton shows off new stripes

Screen shot 2011-06-23 at 2.44.14 PM Cam Newton
-- football player, entertainer and icon.

Make that, fashion icon.

Newton, the Panthers' No. 1 pick in the April draft, backed away from his "entertainer and icon" comment at the NFL combine, saying football was his priority. But with no minicamps and just one two-week player-organized workouts during the lockout, the rookie QB has had time for other pursuits.

Newton is featured in a photo spread in the July edition of GQ, sporting a collection of preppy "bold-striped sweaters" and straight leg pants.

In an interview that accompanies the photos on GQ's Web site, Newton dismissed a question that pre-draft criticism of his passing ability might have been rooted in racism.

"Sir, it all comes down to whether a person wins or loses," Newton told GQ. "I don't bring race into the game, 'cause then you're talking about excuses. I. Hate. Excuses. Excuses are a disease."

Newton already has filmed a couple of commericals for Under Armour, which have yet to air.

He is scheduled to attend next week's NFLPA rookie symposium at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he has trained with former Panthers QB Chris Weinke.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 23, 2011 at 01:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

you go boy

Posted by: mat | Jun 23, 2011 1:31:59 PM

Wow, refreshing that he doesn't feel the need to play the race card.
Unlike Darin Gantt, who liked to bring it up about every other day leading up to the draft, and called anyone who questioned Newton's ability a racist.
Remind me again why Gantt is now covering women's golf at Winthrop?

Posted by: Ted | Jun 23, 2011 1:59:18 PM

If he can play at an NFL level as well as he says all the right things since being a No. 1 pick, the rest of the league had better watch their asses.

Posted by: Bill English | Jun 23, 2011 2:04:50 PM

My opinion of Newton is changing daily. My biggest concern with him coming out of Auburn was his attitude and dedication to football. I'm REALLY glad to say that I think I may have been wrong. So far he is saying and doing all the right things, and I am really getting excited to see him develop. Keep it up, Mr. Newton! I may just be buying a new jersey after all!

Posted by: jeff | Jun 23, 2011 2:29:55 PM

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!!

Posted by: Scoreboard Operator | Jun 23, 2011 2:58:48 PM

Its crazy how many people are changing their tunes about Cam. So many of us posted on here throughout the entire draft process that the kid WANTS to be GREAT but too many people believe what they read instead of judging a man by his actions. This isn't some new development. If you watched any Auburn game last year, you would've seen that Newton was the unquestioned leader of that team.

Posted by: Swag | Jun 23, 2011 3:04:15 PM

Perry's comment deleted in 5,4,3,2.....

Posted by: TherealJD | Jun 23, 2011 3:24:35 PM

Excited about Cam...I'm ready to see his development as a leader and QB of the Panthers...I'm happy for all the opportunities the young man gets...He's be thrown under the bus regularly....He's a proven winner...And...An athletic beast...Prototype QB of the future...Let the Cam Newton era begin....Let's Go Panthers!

Posted by: Troy | Jun 23, 2011 3:33:05 PM

Cam looks absolutely "captivating" in the pics..... My, My, My...

Posted by: footballchic | Jun 23, 2011 4:21:35 PM

Why didn't GQ put him in Panthers colors instead of 49er red/gold (see photo above)? Must be that San Fran influence that's so prevalent in fashion. On a football note, I'm glad to see Cam's saying and doing all the right things, so my optimism is growing some, but the doubts about his football i.q. are still there. Just keepin my fingers crossed for a decent (8-8) season. The Panthers have a lot of potential but unfortunately we'll lose 5 in the division.

Posted by: Color analyst | Jun 23, 2011 4:30:24 PM

Hopefully this guy will be more concerned about playing football than appearing in national publications. Just stay grounded and play the dam game Cam.

Posted by: rob | Jun 23, 2011 4:55:41 PM

LMAO! People are getting carried away. I mean this guy hasn't had one snap under a NFL center. Appears to be a set up for a major dissapointment.

Posted by: troy | Jun 23, 2011 5:35:02 PM

Lets just hope he doesn't have Beason as his mentor..he needs to find a good girl a good church and staty out of trouble and let his talking be done on the field

Posted by: michael | Jun 23, 2011 6:23:11 PM

Scam Newton is a joke. A criminal felon laptop thief 3 time cheater kicked out of college and NCAA scammer pay for play? And thats just what we know. Def not NFL material. Take that back. He is NFL union quality.

Posted by: Scam City | Jun 23, 2011 6:53:25 PM

Cam - All this early "attention" will amount to ZERO if you don't win or don't stay out of trouble. PERIOD. You haven't won some of us over yet because you haven't even thrown 1 pass in the NFL...All this makes us wonder where your head & heart is really at.

Posted by: CharlotteFan | Jun 23, 2011 7:35:34 PM

Michael and Scam City should be barred from any site--for their vulgarity and their stupidity...

Posted by: War Eagle | Jun 23, 2011 8:04:08 PM

Can't belive the CO allows the crude and nasty comments from Michael and Scam ...and others too....comments that have nothing to do with the article. Cam was a model citizen at Blinn and Auburn and who can blame him for capitalizing on his BCS and Heisman awards? He earned them.

Posted by: Ted | Jun 23, 2011 8:29:01 PM

I believe the issue is some people don't want him to succeed, but unfortunatley for them, he is on our team. Might as well warm up to him. Hopefully he'll be leading us to the playoffs every year once he gets acclimated. Go Panthers and go Cam. Wishing you well buddy!

Posted by: Loyal Fan | Jun 23, 2011 9:31:35 PM

he is fine as wine

Posted by: Jason | Jun 23, 2011 10:22:16 PM

You Cam naysayers are going to be in for the shock of your lives. He is going to be the best draft pick in Carolina's history. Ever.

I'm glad to see a few former naysayers coming around. At the same time I'm ok with the doubters staying negative. The more folks doubt Cam's ability the more focused he will be to prove just how wrong you are. So don't all jump on the pro-Cam bandwagon until after he proves himself convincingly. Hopefully Steve will stick around so Cam has a legitimate pro-bowl receiver to throw to. And if we keep our running back tandem intact we're going to surprise a LOT of folk.

Posted by: Gillian | Jun 23, 2011 10:22:34 PM

Posted by: Gillian | Jun 23, 2011 10:22:38 PM

I think the objectionable posts were actually from Scum City and pantherman... Michael's comment might have been dumb, but not vulgar and racist.

The CO should monitor this site...

Posted by: War Eagle | Jun 23, 2011 10:24:14 PM

The CO should monitor this site...

Posted by: War Eagle | Jun 23, 2011 10:24:14 PM

Actually, I think Michael's comment is awesome. My bad, and my apologies to Michael. Yes, Cam needs a good church and a decent woman...

Posted by: War Eagle | Jun 23, 2011 10:25:50 PM

it's cool cam you got endorsement deals, i just trust your azz to be ready when the season starts..nothing wrong with what he is doing, he is actually give the panthers some spotlight, real spotlight for the very first time, just win baby and everything will be ok in pantherland

Posted by: teemac1974 | Jun 23, 2011 11:23:52 PM