« Report: Shockey says deal by Thursday | Main | Davis not worried about Newton »

July 19, 2011

Anderson optimistic he will be back

Thomas Davis used his free time during the lockout to finish his degree from Georgia.

James Anderson traveled out of the country a couple of times.

With the lockout apparently nearing an end, both of the Panthers' free agent linebackers are ready to resume playing – and both are fairly confident they'll be playing in Charlotte.

Davis has said repeatedly he and the Panthers have a mutual interest in Davis re-signing with Carolina. Anderson made similar comments Tuesday during an interview with the Observer.

Before the lockout I talked to (general manager) Marty (Hurney), and the Panthers were saying they wanted to bring me back. But since then we really can't talk so when free agency starts we'll see what happens,” Anderson said.

I want to stay in Charlotte. No doubt about it. I've been here my whole time and I love the city, so I would love to stay.”

Anderson had a career year in 2010. With Davis (knee) and Dan Connor (hip) out with injuries, Anderson finished with 154 tackles – more than his first four seasons combined.

Anderson, speaking before he served on a Panthers' panel at Fred Whitfield's Achievements Unlimited basketball school, said it was all about opportunity.

When you get that chance to go out there and play and all the guys are counting on you, you've got to step up and do your job,” said Anderson, who had never started more than seven games in a previous season.

Look for more on Anderson and Davis in Wednesday's editions of the Observer, including a piece on Davis by Observer columnist Tom Sorensen.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on July 19, 2011 at 01:38 PM | Permalink

Comments

But... but... every dingbat on this board last year told me that JR was cheap and would never spend!!! What am I to think if JR opens his wallet this year and brings in a class of quality free agents while re-signing our best ones? That all the pinheads here were WRONG?

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:29:38 PM

(sorry about all the repeats -- my browser's fault.)

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:30:03 PM

hahahaha - i love it.... Was that JR that posted that! In the NFL and NBA you have to bad sometimes to get good due to how the lottery and free agency is setup. I think JR had a plan all along and just decided we have to suffer for a couple years to get a Super Bowl calibre team. Just being a wildcard every other year wasn't getting it done - and I have agreed with him on every FA move. I didn't like the 2010 draft trade for AE - unless they move him to CB... He could be a major stud at CB. Stop trying to make him a WR and KR - CBs read the QB and since he was a QB he could be a great CB.

Posted by: Dominator | Jul 19, 2011 2:38:47 PM

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 19, 2011 2:39:23 PM

couple more things..... Beason, Connor, Davis, Williams and Anderson make up one of the BEST LB cores in the NFL when healthy - period. Get the DLine to take on the OL blocks and let those guys run free - look out. Our Safties are solid too - CBs are a question mark although i think Gamble and Marshall will be good this year if we sign Marshall. If we can't then Captain will be fine but that leaves us thin in the dime. DT is the big one. Charles Johnson needs to be signed along with the best DT we can find...

Posted by: Dominator | Jul 19, 2011 2:46:00 PM

you get a strong defense and soild running game - then let Newton throw to Smith, Shocky, LaFell and Gettis - Panthers win 7 games this year easy.

Posted by: Dominator | Jul 19, 2011 2:47:58 PM

BCD, nothing going forward will ever change the fact that Richardson punted an ENTIRE SEASON for no reason other than to make a labor point, and on the fans' dime.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 19, 2011 3:27:49 PM

JR is a businessman. He mad billions selling biscuits & chicken, so the guy knows something about running a business.

He went lean just in case we had a lockout, now he will sign the #1 pick for 50 mil less than a year ago, and will have more room under the cap than most team who over spent during the uncapped year, trying to "win now" instead of insuring a competitive future.

Posted by: Panix | Jul 19, 2011 3:36:08 PM

As long as Hurney-a is the GM, nothing productive will be accomplished.

Posted by: Phil | Jul 19, 2011 3:47:18 PM

I have trouble questioning the business decisions of a man who has succeeded in every business he has owned. That said, Richardson was looking ahead and knew MUCH MORE about what the future of the NFL had to hold than any of us who are the Monday Morning QB.

The core talent on this team is undeniable and new life at the Head Coaching position should inject a fire within all of these guys. This will not be a Super Bowl team by any means, but they will not be the doormat of the league again surely.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Jul 19, 2011 3:53:40 PM

We need to keep Anderson desperately! I hope we keep Davis too. But I don't know that we appreciate the value of Anderson enough. We tend to forget about him, but he is a great LB.

Posted by: Joel | Jul 19, 2011 4:09:17 PM

JR may have made one of the best moves in not spending last year. The panthers dumped all the bad contracts last season and is now so far under the cap that they will have to spend and spend big to get up to the league mininum. when a group of guys is brought in like in '03. There may be a huge turn around

Posted by: Panther fan77 | Jul 19, 2011 6:14:23 PM

i said that all last year and the year before.

you guys should have been thankful we have such a well run organization and instead you were trashing them for spending too little? whatt because jimmy clausen can't throw a football? because moore, williams, otah, davis, conner, etc. etc. etc. were on IR?

we could have been minnesota last year and spent boatloads of money and been just as bad. instead, we're position to be competitive going forward.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 19, 2011 7:13:42 PM

BullCityDog learn how to post. Your ignorance is showing.

Posted by: Shane Douglas | Jul 19, 2011 8:24:38 PM

I think with new coach and now that CBA is out of the way, bigger things will happen in Carolina. A couple i'm hearing is D McNabb and TJ Houzemanzada-WR (sp?). I think both are respectable moves... Cam Newton needs to watch at least a couple of months and McNabb would be a great tutor (MVick). We need help at WR in a big way.

Posted by: Pantherfan99 | Jul 19, 2011 10:21:29 PM

I expect big things from guys like Greg Hardy, Everette Brown , Eric Norwood, Jordan Pugh, Lawrance Wilson, Kealoha Pilares, Terrell McClain, Captain Munnerlyn, Lee Ziemba, Andre Neblett, Nic Harris, Dan Conner, Duke Robinson, Dante Rosario, and Hilee Taylor. These guys will work well in Coach Rivera's system.

Posted by: PanthersFanD | Jul 20, 2011 5:47:59 PM