« Protect this town | Main | Stewart wants Williams to stay in Charlotte »

July 10, 2011

Newton: "You only get one chance at greatness"

A few tidbits that did not make it into Sunday's story on Cam Newton, who agreed (along with his advisers from Under Armour and IMG) to let the Observer and ESPN follow him one morning last month while he worked out at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla.

After Newton finished warming up around 9 a.m., he was relaxing in the weight room before heading out to begin his throwing session with Chris Weinke, who oversees IMG's football arm.

Nick Bollettieri, the man who started the renowned training center as a tennis academy, stopped to talk to Newton after spotting him leaning against a table.

Bollettieri told Newton he was planning to skydive for his 80th birthday in late July.

There's a lot of things you can do besides jump out of an airplane,” Newton said.

Bollettieri laughed, and told Newton he was taking his brother, 12-year-old Caylin, outside to talk to him.

Newton spent his down time on the IMG campus that day with his family, eating lunch with Caylin and his father, Cecil, at the cafeteria. IMG officials say Newton has been accompanied by his dad and two brothers (older brother Cecil Jr. is playing in the UFL this year for Hartford) during most of his visits to Bradenton.

During his throwing session, Newton was dropping back on nearly every snap – something he rarely did at Auburn.

With no rush and no defenders, Newton completed most – not all – of his throws to a group of receivers, the most notable of whom was New York Giants wideout Michael Clayton.

Newton looked to be in great physical condition.

Here's what Newton had to say on a number of Panthers-related topics:

The effect of the lockout on a rookie QB: “When life throws you lemons, you've got to make lemonade. I didn't choose to be in this situation as far as the lockout. And none of us chose it. But we've got to work with what we've got. And it's not going to be an excuse, come the first game – if there is a game. And if I'm negative, as far as not showing what I've been working on and not being as good as a I want to be, it's only my fault.

"Because I had every single opportunity to be successful, working at it. I got the playbook. And everybody's in my situation. I would be somewhat disgruntled if every team in the NFL had minicamp and training camps and just the Carolina Panthers didn't. But everybody is suffering from this."

The possibility of the Panthers signing a veteran QB: “Right now I'm in all cahoots to whatever anybody wants to do with the organization. … I'm officially a team player. I'm not going to be disgruntled about something that really doesn't make or break me.”

Whether he'd like an adjustment period before becoming a starting QB: “If the opportunity presents itself, whatever that opportunity is, I'm willing to take it. Simple and plain. And the last thing that I want or need is if that opportunity presents itself and I'm not ready and I'm not prepared for the opportunity. Because you only get one chance at greatness. If you pass on that, it very well could be no other time. Some people get two times, three times, even four. But you can't be ticked off if that opportunity presents itself and you look yourself in the mirror and say, 'I failed.' Or 'I wasn't ready.'"

Using the Panthers' terminology and cadences during his workouts at IMG: “It takes you listening to yourself, hearing it out and acting it out as you try to comprehend the most. And for me, when I use more of my senses, that's when I comprehend most. And I was out there speaking. I was out there working it out and I was seeing it.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on July 10, 2011 at 11:56 PM | Permalink

Comments

The article is right...With the new rookie cap teams won't take ,but 1-3 yrs at the most to cut a rookie that can't play ,so Cam better be good right out of the box or he will find himself CUT by yr 2 with no big guaranteed contract to protect his place on the roster...I love the new rookie cap as it will give it to the player's who deserve it...The Vets ,and it will open up teams cap space to sign key FA's instead of throwing it at unproven players.

Posted by: QB | Jul 11, 2011 10:48:25 AM

rule 1 : dont buy the hype.

rule 2,3,4,5,6,7 ... same as rule 1

Posted by: paul | Jul 11, 2011 11:50:09 AM

Listen to Paul. He is an expert.

Posted by: jeff | Jul 11, 2011 7:42:23 PM

I bet Paul's another "know it all Yankee"

Posted by: me | Jul 11, 2011 7:51:15 PM

Well, the most annoying thing he said in his answers was "Simple and plain," as opposed to plain and simple. Since that's the worst he said, I call that a major success. I still have my doubts that he will be successful in the cerebral part of the game (2nd reads/checkdowns, pre snap cadences and adjustments, etc) but as a Panther fan, I'd like nothing more than to see him win multiple championships/all star appearances

Posted by: Josh | Jul 11, 2011 10:21:15 PM

@Sportsfan - While the rest of us Panther fans can't get onto the field and play with the Panther players, and get a simple auto, because players are afraid the 'average joe' is trying to sell their auto's. You are selling the auto's like they are worth something..
Steve Smith will never make the HOF, with the Panthers or any other team. He is not even close with TD's or yardage. And in 2 weeks you can get Steve Smith at South Park mall for less then $60..Cam Newton hasn't proven anything yet. So $1,000 for any of these guys is a fool's bet.

Posted by: catsnmbr1fan | Jul 12, 2011 12:10:34 AM

@Sportsfan
No you did not just list QCB as signing a kickball jersey. And someone is going to pay a G for that? If your such a sports fan, I recommend you keep it. And to go along with Catfan, our Steve Smith is not going to Canton I hate to break it to you or anyone else interested. Maybe Utah's Hall of Fame....

Posted by: RobertH | Jul 12, 2011 4:11:18 AM

Hey sportsfan this is not the classifieds

Posted by: ben3412 | Jul 12, 2011 7:41:16 AM

i hope the lock out ends soon

Posted by: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS | Jul 12, 2011 9:17:49 AM

It continues to amaze me how many people get on here and bash this young man. From everything I've read, via his coaches, teamates, and everything Cam has said in his own words, I am impressed with his intelligence, perspective, and dedication to being the best player he can be. He has incredible physical gifts. He appears to be learning his craft well. Cam will have the same "2 steps forward, 1 step back" dance that all rookies have, but he really exhibits THE RIGHT STUFF at this early stage in his development. So back off people...quit being overt or closet racists. THIS white man doesn't let color create any judgement. You should be celebrating the fact that the Panthers drafted a potential franchise QB!

Posted by: Bassman | Jul 12, 2011 9:20:23 AM

I'll admit that I still have doubts about Cam, but if he continues to show this much dedication and work ethic, he should be a great QB. I remember following Vick his first year, and he never talked this way or showed this type of dedication and "team" attitude. I'm not saying Cam will be the next Vick, but he has all of the god-given talents to be. If he can keep his nose clean and continue these same habits, he will be great!

Posted by: stickyd | Jul 12, 2011 9:34:34 AM

These comments are always full of all sorts of win. Geographical stereotypes, craigslist solicitations. Awesome job guys

Posted by: Idiocracy | Jul 12, 2011 10:09:16 AM

300 million American citizens say thanks to the wonderful GREATNESS of all 32 NFL owners for locking out these lowlife scab greedy worthless lying socialist union punks and thugs who need to be all be FIRED and then forced to repay mega billions to America for their extortionism and thievery for the past 20 years that has gotten progressively worse each year. not a single union rat has served in the military in this nation. These are un-American slimewads and yellow belly cowards who should lose their citizenship.
Same for all pro sports who need to be outlawed by US Congress as a detriment to the US economy.

We know these great 32 NFL owners who risk believe these scumbag union rats should be making about the same salary as public school teacher even though they work 3 hrs on Sunday 16 times a year and the most they any fulltime starter plays is 7 active minutes per game max.

Keep up the excellent work owners. America is counting on you to lead the way to cleaning up this pro sports mess in general to get this nation back on track economically.

Just say NO to pro sports slime.

Posted by: greatness of owners | Jul 12, 2011 10:15:46 AM

Hi guys I'm new to posting on the site. If you don't mind, could someone please direct me to the correct place to post with the real fans instead of the ones who only look to bash their own team? I'm really only trying show my support for my team and I thought this was the place. I guess I was wrong....

Posted by: notafairweatherfan | Jul 12, 2011 10:21:15 AM

didnt pat tillman served in the military? relax people pay money to watch these guys. you need to put the beer down and stop hitting your wife, and take a walk outside cool off.

Posted by: jay | Jul 12, 2011 10:27:14 AM

Posted by: jay | Jul 12, 2011 10:27:22 AM

Well, good to know that Newton understands he'll be kicked to the curb just as fast as Clausen was when he flops this year. Then we can pick Luck next year, and Barkley after that, and EJ Manuel after that, and...we'll have like ten first-round QBs on the roster!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 12, 2011 11:03:14 AM

Newton this, Newton that, Newton in GQ, Newton on ESPN. Hype, hype and more hype. Just play the dam game Cam.

Posted by: troy | Jul 12, 2011 12:02:15 PM

Not one single pro player other than Tillman left to fight for their country. Pathetic. They should be stripped of their citizenship. If anyone is reaping the rewards of America without sacrifice it is these pampered millionaire pro athletes.
The lame excuses are laughable such as some are not cut out for the military? Such a con. Can you pull a trigger to kill terrorists?

Too bad our ex-Congressman Rangel didnt get the military draft he wanted so pro players could also be drafted to defend America instead of drafted for pro sports.

Posted by: ex new york marine | Jul 12, 2011 12:10:15 PM

QB/Michael Procton are dead on ,and i say Cam will have a shorter leash with the rookie cap than Clausen did being he's a #1 pick and all the hype. That's just makes the fall harder and easier on the owners to say see ya with no big money involved...You Auburn fans on here are gonna be disapointed ,Charlotte ain't ATL ,and Cam and you will QUICKLY find that out!

Posted by: TWIGGY | Jul 12, 2011 12:23:54 PM

As an Auburn fan, I loved Cam when he was at Auburn, and I will continue to watch him wherever he goes. Cam plays football like it's a game; he has fun winning, just like a kid. But he also plays football like his life depends upon it, and he gets his teammates to play that way, too.

When he came to Auburn, the first buzz was that he was virtually living in the football complex, studying, watching film, working out, all with an intensity that drew comparisons with the best competitors Auburn has ever had. It paid off for us.

The NFL is completely different, with every player top to bottom at a higher level. But if Cam cannot compete and win, it will not be for lack of intensity, focus, and effort.

Posted by: David0 | Jul 12, 2011 12:55:01 PM

Too late......bought the hype. Lets goooooooo team Cam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Richard | Jul 12, 2011 2:00:48 PM

here we go again ... geesh

Posted by: cj | Jul 12, 2011 2:10:58 PM

Charlotte Panthers and Bobcats fans make Philadelphia fans look like Pollyanna. Where did all this negativism come from?

Posted by: Onlooker | Jul 12, 2011 6:01:55 PM

Ex-NY Marine - millions of people didn't leave their jobs and go to war. Stop making military vets look like idiots.

Posted by: John | Jul 12, 2011 6:10:55 PM