« Richardson confident top targets will return | Main | Panthers expected to cut Kasay »

July 27, 2011

DeAngelo Williams returning to Panthers

ESPN insider Adam Schefter and others are reporting that free agent running back DeAngelo Williams has agreed to return to the Carolina Panthers.

Williams' deal is reportedly for five years and $43 million, with $21 million of that guaranteed.

Check back for details as we get them.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 27, 2011 at 01:49 PM | Permalink

Comments

I am afraid this puts an end to Steve Smith's time with the team. At least he can go to a winner somewhere. The Panthers are doomed to stay at the bottommof the league for years. Pathetic ownership/management. SELL NOW JERRY!!!

Posted by: I know, you don't | Jul 27, 2011 2:00:15 PM

I'm curious why you say this is an end to Smith's time with the team?

Posted by: steve | Jul 27, 2011 2:01:51 PM

Great news! Double Trouble will stay intact!

Posted by: PantherDave | Jul 27, 2011 2:02:52 PM

Great news! Double Trouble will stay intact!

Posted by: PantherDave | Jul 27, 2011 2:02:52 PM

Because he's a Cowboy's Fan most likely.

Posted by: Matt Matz | Jul 27, 2011 2:03:52 PM

Because he's a Cowboy's Fan most likely.

Posted by: Matt Matz | Jul 27, 2011 2:03:52 PM

Because he's a Cowboy's Fan most likely.

Posted by: Matt Matz | Jul 27, 2011 2:03:53 PM

I am a longtime Panthers fan, and I cannot not figure out why everybody wanted Charles Johnson and Deangelo back? Do you fans that want that want the same team and same record as last year? If you want different results you have got to change more then just the coaching staff. Let Smith go!

Posted by: Longtime Fan | Jul 27, 2011 2:04:21 PM

WTF are you talking about "I know." All I know is you don't know sh*t. This is another excellent move by ownership and management. Keeping our best offensive player here is never a bad move. I hear the Beagles need some fans so move on up I-77 and join them. Oh and look for a clue while you're at it. LMAO!

Posted by: PantherJon | Jul 27, 2011 2:04:53 PM

Love the move lets go Panthers

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jul 27, 2011 2:06:55 PM

Umm Longtime fan? What are you talking about? They are both PRO BOWLERS!!! Two of the top 5 players on the team. Best Free agents at their positions!!! THATS WHY WE WANTED THEM BACK!!!!

You may be a longtime fan, but you seem to know nothing about football.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 27, 2011 2:07:00 PM

no matter wut they do ppl will always criticize and talk junk.. when we didnt spend $ they talked junk.. now we actually spending $ on the right players and ppl still bash them? how bout get a new team!

Posted by: tombottomsides | Jul 27, 2011 2:07:28 PM

Can someone tell me why ESPN Insider Adam S. is reporting this before our hometown sportswriters? As a former ESPN insider subscriber, most of their content is derived from collecting articles from a team's hometown newspaper. It seems like the CO is once again late in delivering this news that they should be the first to report.

Posted by: Booyah | Jul 27, 2011 2:07:29 PM

This is really good news. We are going to have to run the ball until one of the newbie QBs steps up in the passing game. Having 2 elite backs is never a bad thing. We have some really dense fans. We are keeping and rewarding the guys that have performed well. Obviously a lot went into the 2-14 record last season, QB play and a lame duck coach being the biggest two.

Posted by: James Reed | Jul 27, 2011 2:07:58 PM

This is good news!! D-Will is a solid RB and a class act - now we just need to ensure that he gets some blocking from the O-line this year.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 27, 2011 2:08:21 PM

Great move. When you want to improve a 2-14 team, you don't move backwards by letting your best players walk. You keep the good good ones and improve your weaker positions.

Posted by: Bronx Mike | Jul 27, 2011 2:09:20 PM

At least the majority of the money is unguaranteed. Since the rest must be incentive-based, the Panthers are "only" on the hook for the $21 mill, if DW gets injured or otherwise fails to live up to expectations...

Posted by: Woody | Jul 27, 2011 2:09:28 PM

@Booyah - It's because Adam knows all.

Posted by: PantherDave | Jul 27, 2011 2:10:24 PM

yay!

Posted by: PantherChick | Jul 27, 2011 2:12:33 PM

Good Point "Bronx Mike" I change my post from earlier. I couldn't agree more. We still need to go and get a shut down cornerback though.

Posted by: Longtime Fan | Jul 27, 2011 2:13:21 PM

Charles Johnson is not a pro-bowler by the way Mark.

Posted by: Longtime Fan | Jul 27, 2011 2:14:19 PM

With one of the league's worst O-lines, the other teams will do just what they did last year. Load the line and dare a weak QB to do anything. Horrible move by the completely predectible Panthers.

Last year I predicted a two win season, I got laughed at for weeks. Who was right? As my name says, I know.

Posted by: I know, you don't | Jul 27, 2011 2:15:37 PM

For the most part, the Panthers had a solid core of players last year minus receivers and a quarterback. It was coaching that was a problem. With a coach who actually tried I believe we could have won 2 or 3 more games, but Fox was a lame duck last year and the team paid for it. But signing DeAngelo keeps in tact the most productive running back duo and probably the best running game in the NFL and with a rookie quarterback probably going to start the majority of the games this year, a solid running is exactly what the Panthers need. Charles Johnson is a solid player and I believe any player who had over 10 sacks in the previous season is a player the Panthers needed to re-sign. I do agree we paid to much for him, but without him we would have had a big hole on our D-line and with out any other viable options I believe Charles Johnson was an overall good signing.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 27, 2011 2:16:20 PM

we need a WR to go with or at least replace Smith. We have not had a #2 wr since Moose (the first time)

Posted by: uscwillie7 | Jul 27, 2011 2:18:07 PM