« Update: Panthers arriving at camp | Main | Cam Newton signs for $22 million, 4 years »

July 29, 2011

Wild night for Dan Connor

SPARTANBURG – Dan Connor's plans for a nice, quiet night on the eve of training camp were dashed Thursday when the Panthers linebacker was rumored to be part of the deal that sent Chicago tight end Greg Olsen to Carolina.

With reporters from Chicago, Charlotte and ESPN tweeting that Connor might be bound for Chicago, his cell phone began blowing up as friends and family tried to get in touch with him.

“I got about a thousand phone calls, a thousand text messages. I wasn't really sure what was going on,” Connor said. “I guess nothing went through. I don't know if it was a rumor or what it was, but kind of a hectic night.”

Connor called his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who also represents Olsen. Rosenhaus told Connor he had heard the same talk, but was not sure where it started. In the end, the Panthers acquired Olsen for next year's third-round pick.

“It was about a two-hour period where it was nerve-wracking and confusing,” he said. “But it all got settled and I'm glad I'm here.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on July 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

Comments

A former 1st rounder in his prime for a 3rd rounder. Chudz is gonna have fun with Shokey, Olson and Smitty. Not to mention LaFell and Gettis. Olson is a complete TE. Blocks well, Catches well. The 2010 Offense vs the 2011 Offense may go from the worst scoring offense to the highest. Could Cam pull off 3 championships in 3 yrs. GO PANTHERS

Posted by: David R | Jul 29, 2011 1:26:06 PM

Gotta love David R's training camp optimism! He might want to dial it back a bit though. I'd hate for him to be disappointed when it's only two championships in three years. . .

Posted by: John H | Jul 29, 2011 1:41:37 PM

I am not ready to say the Panthers will score 28 points a game, but even 20 would be a huge improvement. it will be a lot more fun to watch than last year.

Posted by: Cat Man's friend | Jul 29, 2011 1:45:16 PM

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.

Posted by: Jimmy Clausen | Jul 29, 2011 1:48:34 PM

What will be interesting to see is if J. Stewart will get away with sitting on the sideline this pre-season. He always seems to find an excuse (injury) to stay out of practice. I don't think the new staff will put up with it.

Posted by: RickT | Jul 29, 2011 2:04:02 PM

Ignoring the fact that a lot of the money at the end of these contracts will not be paid; how much has Jerry Richardson committed spend if they were all paid in full? My quick calculation "after" the Panthers sign their draft picks will be approaching a half a "billion" dollars. It should be mandatory for all the people that called Jerry a cheapskate to appologize to him personally!!

Posted by: 4Gross | Jul 29, 2011 2:04:39 PM

Well, as an FYI to anyone that is saying how awesome it is Jerry is finally paying players... these contracts are somewhat long, and financially crippling. In 2-3 years people will look back at this fiscally irresponsible spending and wonder WTF Jerry was thinking.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 29, 2011 2:42:35 PM

Goodness that would have been a horrible trade. A superb linebacker that we couldn't readily replace for a good TE that probably, even being good, won't be that big an improvement over Rosario. wowzers...

Posted by: Jason Alston | Jul 29, 2011 2:48:22 PM

awesome trade.nouf said!

Posted by: crunchy | Jul 29, 2011 2:56:49 PM

Good moves so far. Have there been any cuts in the past two days to free up more cap space for more free agent runs at WR, corner or QB mentor?

Posted by: SC Ken | Jul 29, 2011 3:00:57 PM

Jason Alston, are you Nuts? Do you even watch football? Do you even know who Greg Olsen is?
Duh Boy...Jason, go do your homework next time before you type anything again.

Greg Olsen is a terrific TE who was underutilized in Mike Martz' system. Placed in the proper system, Olsen can be a Pro-Bowler. He doesn't fit the Bears scheme and the Bears needed the cap room to sign Roy Williams. We just got a steal!

Posted by: Dougie | Jul 29, 2011 3:03:38 PM

Mike, most of the contracts have been very upfront heavy due to our large amount of cap space. JR has been structuring contracts like this in order to get us to the cap floor this year and still allow us to spend later

Posted by: Brandon | Jul 29, 2011 3:33:26 PM

I like what the Panthers are doing during this offseason. If their qb play is solid this season, then they could make a run at the Wild card.

Posted by: Jon L. | Jul 29, 2011 3:51:26 PM

Posted by: Jon L. | Jul 29, 2011 3:51:26 PM

Is that so, Brandon? Please cite that with some kind of reference other than your own opinion.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 29, 2011 4:11:46 PM

Michael all you have is opinion as well. So shut yer trap. No one knows the contract details yet.

Posted by: BOB DOLE | Jul 29, 2011 5:23:03 PM

@4Gross - I agree, but all the trolls will be quiet for awhile now. They are to busy licking their wounds..They were way off base on Steve Smith, DeAngelo in particular.. You have to realize, most of the posters on these blogs, are not fans of the Panthers.

Posted by: catsnmbr1fan | Jul 29, 2011 5:30:04 PM

The new NFL deal has a minimum on spending for the teams under the cap.

Jerry may be spending money now because he wants a better team, but he has no real choice about how much to spend anymore, nor do the crappy cheap owners like Bidwill and Brown.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Jul 29, 2011 5:55:30 PM

While I'm happy that Carolina is keeping the really good, core players that others coveted, I see these moves as keeping the Cats from going backwards, not necessarily as improving the team overall. Will Shockey and Olsen improve the team? Likely, but not dramatically I don't believe. Will getting a new HC and OC improve the team? I believe so, but I will wait to see by how much. I'm optimistic, but still think a few pieces (DL, WR in particular, and maybe CB) are needed to compete in the tough NFC South, at least this year.

Posted by: Panther Dan | Jul 29, 2011 7:09:44 PM

Like the aggressive moves the Panthers have made so far. However, instead of paying Charles Johnson 12 million/yr, let him walk, and pickup OSI Umenyiora, and a receiver. This probably could have been done. Love the resigning of Deangelo, and getting Shockey, but adding Olsen, and Hartsock....Come on , go get a corner, or a D-Tackle.....

Posted by: silvercat | Jul 29, 2011 8:53:44 PM

@Dougie, yes I do watch football and apparently you're a bit lacking in reading comprehension. We got a good trade, that much we agree on. People who do know how to read understand that the point I made in my post is that Olsen for Dan Connor WOULD NOT have been a good trade, Connor is too instrumental to our linebacking corps. Judging that you're the only person who came at me w/ a retarded response, I'm guessing everyone got it except you.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Jul 30, 2011 2:57:51 AM