« VIDEO ANALYSIS: First-round QBs | Main | Rivera to name starting QB next week »

August 15, 2011

Beason status still uncertain

SPARTANBURG

Panthers linebacker Jon Beason would like nothing more than to play in his hometown this week.

But the Miami native is still battling tendinitis in his left foot, and his status for Friday's preseason game against the Dolphins is uncertain.

Beason has been slowed since May by the injury, which he says is best treated with rest.

Beason, who signed a five-year, $50 million extension before the start of training camp, plans to go through a strenuous warmup today. Depending on how the foot responds, the Panthers' defensive captain could be back by Tuesday.

It's tough not being able to practice because getting familiar with this defense is going to be important for myself and obviously the conditioning part of it,” Beason said today. “You train so hard in the offseason, and then you sit down for a little bit, it sets you back. So the mental part and obviously the physical part – just doing the conditioning – is going to be a huge thing.”

In other injury news, rookie cornerback Brandon Hogan (knee) has no timetable for his return. The Panthers hoped the former West Virginia standout would compete for a starting spot, but his knee has been slow to recover from December ACL surgery.

Hogan said not being able to work with the team's training staff during the lockout hurt his progress.

As for when he might return?

They just told me whenever I get my leg stronger. I'm just trying to listen to them and take it slow and follow orders,” Hogan said. “I'm hoping it'll be this year. I'm trying to get in there and get my feet wet.”

Other notes:

--No. 3 QB Derek Anderson said he hadn't heard about the comments from Arizona QB John Skelton, who told a radio station Anderson did not embrace his mentoring role with the Cardinals.

Anderson said the situation was different in Arizona because he started the year as a starter. He said he came to Carolina with the understanding he would be expected to help Jimmy Clausen and Cam Newton develop.

--Clausen said he was pleased with the way he bounced back from his pick-six on the opening series against the Giants. Clausen led the Panthers on a scoring drive that he capped with an 18-yard TD pass to TE Greg Olsen.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on August 15, 2011 at 01:16 PM | Permalink

Comments

YAWN. Is it not time for T.D. to take the rest of the year off? He learned from Dan Morgan, the biggest bust of Panthers history!

Posted by: teapartytime!!! | Aug 15, 2011 2:13:24 PM

I thought Clausen pretty much sucked all night. If DWill was supposed to fake in and run an out, why would Clausen not throw towards the sideline where DWill could catch and turn up field? You don't throw that route inside, at all. He held the ball too long. The TD pass was Olsen making a good catch to a poorly thrown ball. The opening catch was probably the best ball he threw. I say start Anderson for a few games till Cam is ready to go. Will be interesting when they let Cam run a little to see what he can do.

Posted by: DaveT | Aug 15, 2011 2:13:38 PM

YO! Beason! just ride down on the team plane and chill out. no need to rush into A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Posted by: mexoplex | Aug 15, 2011 2:35:18 PM

tendonitis

Posted by: acogent1 | Aug 15, 2011 3:02:50 PM

DaveT - Clausen looked the safety off Olsen, pump-faked, and then threw back to the spot Olsen would be.

I'm not a super-huge Clausen fan, but if you don't know anything about football then don't pretend as if you do. Also...it's one pre-season game.

Posted by: ecuscribe | Aug 15, 2011 3:15:58 PM

Beason, just be ready week one. Folks, please quit calling for Andersen to start. Starting him will do nothing but delay the maturity of Cam and Jimmy. If you haven't noticed, let me point out to you that everybody including the guy in San Quentin doing double life expects us to blow up this year and basically stink the league up. I saw signs that is not the case. We will be in the hunt and as always, expect ESPN and other "professional sports" gurus
to ignore us for most of the season and then jump the wagon around week 8 or 9 and try to sell you on they told you so. I like what I saw. Plenty of positives, and only a handful of negatives AND we were without some key components.

Posted by: Dr. Scholls | Aug 15, 2011 3:18:03 PM

Anderson*

Posted by: Dr. Scholls | Aug 15, 2011 3:22:33 PM

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Posted by: Real Panther | Aug 15, 2011 3:40:03 PM

Hey Spoiled Rotten Millionaire, please go tell Beason to his face he is a spoiled brat.

Posted by: Tito Pantera | Aug 15, 2011 3:52:38 PM

Is that who he was talking about @Tito? I had no idea what he was saying.

Posted by: Real Panther | Aug 15, 2011 4:01:55 PM

to call dan "mr. 25 tackles in the superbowl" morgan the biggest bust in panthers history is of huge disrespect to dwayne jarrett, keary colbert, sean gilbert, eric swann, chuck smith, and kerry collins.

Posted by: charlottean | Aug 15, 2011 4:15:34 PM

Rest him till the 4th pre-season game. No need to drag this one out. It's not like they don't know what he can do or anything.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 15, 2011 5:07:45 PM

It's all fun and games, but Clausen said he read properly, but his pass was off. Give the guy credit for owning it.

Posted by: L B | Aug 15, 2011 5:58:14 PM

Joseph, what's up with Otah? He was scheduled to play vs the Giants, but was out because of the same knee that's been bothering him for the last year+. Is there a decent chance he won't be ready to start when the regular season begins?

Posted by: Brandon | Aug 15, 2011 6:07:15 PM

Anyone else enjoy wearing plaid skirts and a tank top? I love how my hairy chest plays off the plaid pattern. I feel so cute...

Posted by: goldstein | Aug 15, 2011 8:58:12 PM

@acogent1 -- Actually, the word is usually spelled "tendinitis," although it affects tendons.

Posted by: RW | Aug 16, 2011 7:46:52 AM