« Goodell To Talk With Fans In Spartanburg Wednesday | Main | Tuesday's Carolina Panthers links »

August 01, 2011

Early look at depth chart

Here's an early look at our projected Panthers' depth chart. Obviously, things will change, with the defensive tackle and cornerback spots the most likely to see some movement.

But here's our version as the Panthers prepare for their first full-pads practice in about an hour:

OFFENSE

SS – Sherrod Martin/Sean Considine

FS – Charles Godfrey/Jordan Pugh

SPECIAL TEAMS

K – Olindo Mare/Adi Kunalic

P – Jason Baker/Anthony Santella

Posted by Observer Sports on August 1, 2011 at 05:17 PM | Permalink

Comments

Why is Olsen second string? Is it because Shockey is able to practice?

Posted by: Al | Aug 1, 2011 5:23:05 PM

Only thing I would change is the FB, I still believe Rashawn Jackson is the better option, can catch the ball, fast for a FB, and a great blocker.

Posted by: southpointfm | Aug 1, 2011 5:26:46 PM

Our CB situation is totally effed

Posted by: Holy Crap | Aug 1, 2011 5:34:55 PM

Will probably sign Carlos Rogers to start opposite Gamble.

Posted by: Jason Warren | Aug 1, 2011 5:37:28 PM

A weak secondary will not allow for lots of blitzing. Panthers more prone to give up the big play instead of playing john fox "bend but dont break" defense.

Posted by: Nosebleed Fan | Aug 1, 2011 5:40:48 PM

Does anyone know how close to the cap we are???? I have seen no articles on this.

Posted by: Holy Crap | Aug 1, 2011 5:45:31 PM

Posted by: Pratik | Aug 1, 2011 6:05:55 PM

Our secondary is utter sh!t. With all the moves we made this year, why did we not address the most glaring hole: CB? We really need to go all out for Cromartie, Rogers, or someone

Posted by: Stagger Lee | Aug 1, 2011 6:06:11 PM

Yea, Carlos Rogers should be signed or if they choose to be interested in Asante Samuel sign him. This defense looks pretty darn good, though. Extra help there would def be estatic!

Posted by: paul | Aug 1, 2011 6:07:32 PM

If we sign Derek Anderson, I am going to leap hang myself from Sam Mills' statue. Marty, the blood will be on your hands.

Posted by: Stagger Lee | Aug 1, 2011 6:08:44 PM

"Only thing I would change is switch Gettis with Edwards. I think Armanti is starting to show that he can start, and I think he'll start across Smitty in the season opener because by then he might be better than Gettis or Lafell."

Only an App State fan would jump to this conclusion. Even if we were going to anoint Edwards, a WR w/o a career catch, as the starter, it would have to be at flanker (where he is currently second string); he is not a split end.

Posted by: Stagger Lee | Aug 1, 2011 6:22:11 PM

charles godfrey is going to be the starting corner! did everyone forget he played corner in college at iowa!

Posted by: joe cool | Aug 1, 2011 6:33:31 PM

I'm with those who are concerned about CB...they will get killed by air unless there is an upgrade at this position.

Posted by: Panther Dan | Aug 1, 2011 6:55:36 PM

Lee, great point with Armanti not being a split end (not his fault) but then you blew it with the Charles Godfrey talk. Yes, he was a corner in COLLEGE, this is the PROS, they will go pay a PROFESSIONAL to play corner.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 1, 2011 8:07:08 PM

Must, Sign, cornerback. At least 2 of the best out there. Maybe bring TO in?

Posted by: Dusty | Aug 1, 2011 8:11:46 PM

Are we really that thin at DE that we have Eric Norwood backing up Charles Johnson? Don't get me wrong, I went to USC and Norwood is my boy, but I feel like he's more effective blitzing as an LB like he did the last two years of college. He's too small for an NFL DE.

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 1, 2011 8:40:17 PM

Daniel, Dwight Freeney isn't all that big and he has produced in a big way. Not saying that the two are equal, but size shouldnt be the make or break point in giving him a position.

Rivera ran a 3-4 in san diego so he may get to line up at LB and rush the qb some anyway

Posted by: Pantherz1 | Aug 1, 2011 8:54:45 PM

Need CB bad. Samuel would be a big help and could be the move that really helps the team.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 1, 2011 9:20:30 PM

It is still early - 6 weeks -alot can change - GO PANTHERS.

Posted by: strangedog | Aug 1, 2011 9:22:27 PM

I say get these three players there asking price had to drop due to mostly teams sign the players they want. The three are(s) Donte Winther Braylon Edwards(WR) Carlos Roger (CB). I think with these move we are set offense and Defense wise.

Posted by: The Mover | Aug 1, 2011 9:38:29 PM

we do need to do something at corner

Posted by: iwantbadlytobeacamfan | Aug 1, 2011 9:52:43 PM

Too early to call Newton the starter and still need help in the secondary.

Posted by: par404 | Aug 1, 2011 10:23:53 PM

our defense will be better just for the fact our offense will be better and give them both field position breaks and more than 'three and out.' why do people keep posting about WR on here - we don't need another one, we are actually stocked, and Braylon edwards, please, we don't need a prima donna who was such a PinA that the Jets discarding him. Hatsock btw is a TE who can handle FB blocking that is why he is listed second, rashwan jasckson won't make the 53 roster, jordon pugh is a player and might be nickle, yes we need a CB but we are actually not desperate, signing Andersen leads me to believe Cam will be opening day starter, but hey, we have a pre-season to go thru now don't we!

Posted by: Isaiah | Aug 1, 2011 10:28:21 PM

While I'd love to have Asante Samuel, I don't think we can afford his contract $$$.

Posted by: David | Aug 1, 2011 10:55:53 PM