« Monday's Carolina Panthers links | Main | Anderson deal almost done »

August 01, 2011

Panthers finalizing deal with Derek Anderson

Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera said after this morning's walkthrough that the team is finalizing a contract with free agent quarterback Derek Anderson.

Anderson, who would be primarily a tutor for rookie quarterback Cam Newton and second-year QB Jimmy Clausen, was released by the Arizona Cardinals last week. He has ties to Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, having had his best season as a pro in 2007, when Chudzinski was his OC with the Cleveland Browns.

Anderson won 10 of his 15 starts that season, passing for 3,787 yards, 29 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

-- The Panthers have signed their third-round pick, Terrell McClain, a defensive tackle from South Florida.

McClain has taken his physical and should participate in the evening practice, which starts at 6 p.m. and is open to the public at Wofford College.

-- CB Chris Gamble sat out this morning's closed walkthrough, and didn't look like he was feeling well. Rivera said after that walkthrough that Gamble had become ill beforehand, but that it's minor.

-- Don't miss Scott Fowler's latest blog, on Armanti Edwards, Greg Olsen and Mike Goodson.

-- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will conduct a free Fan Forum Wednesday at 5:15 p.m. before the  Panthers 6 p.m. practice at Wofford. Open to all.

Posted by Observer Sports on August 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Comments

Why?

Posted by: TheRealJD | Aug 1, 2011 12:20:25 PM

I am so much better. I really didnt think I was that bad in the playoff game against the Cardinals. As Coach Johnny says, it is what it is...

Posted by: jake delhomme | Aug 1, 2011 12:27:25 PM

Horrible move unless it is an one year deal for league minimum. Would rather have kept Matt Moore.

Posted by: Apex_Assassin | Aug 1, 2011 12:33:50 PM

Posted by: Apex_Assassin | Aug 1, 2011 12:33:50 PM

Posted by: Apex_Assassin | Aug 1, 2011 12:33:50 PM

Yes, what a bad move. I was so good for you guys last year. What gives?

Posted by: Matt Moore | Aug 1, 2011 12:36:43 PM

It is simply because he is familiar with the offense. Nothing more. Bulger and Delhomme don't know this offense. I think it's a good move.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 1, 2011 12:37:51 PM

Hey Observer staff how about some analysis, stop cutting and pasting twitter feeds.
Is this a good move? Is it an upgrade from Matt Moore? Is Anderson capable of getting back to his probowl form? With Cam's lack of practice time and Clausen's 2010, could Anderson start against the cards?

Posted by: thankgodforstevereed | Aug 1, 2011 12:38:27 PM

Why the multiple posts? That' what I call a hoorible move(s)!!

Posted by: dbigcat | Aug 1, 2011 12:39:59 PM

Why didnt you guys sign me?

Posted by: Rodney Peete | Aug 1, 2011 12:40:19 PM

Anderson has never shown the ability to lead (Arizona Cardinals last season - see youtube.com) or mentor (Brady Quinn in Cleveland). I hope he NEVER sees the field. Matt Moore was a much better option in my opinion.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Aug 1, 2011 12:41:40 PM

Not sure if anyone is looking but I'm still available...remember all the good times in 2001?

Posted by: Chris Weinke | Aug 1, 2011 12:43:07 PM

What the HE%%. I am available to mentor dangit! Why the HE%% didnt you &%%$%*&s not sign me!!!

Posted by: Ryan Leaf | Aug 1, 2011 12:47:59 PM

Moore sucks. Delhomme, at least, would be a good teacher for the young guns to learn how to be a professional. He was lauded for the job he did in Cleveland with Colt McCoy.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 1, 2011 12:48:25 PM

Now we have the two statistically worst QBs from last year. Now Anderson can compete with Clausen for the backup spot. Don't know how much of his knowledge he'll be able to pass down.

Posted by: NFL Scout | Aug 1, 2011 12:49:35 PM

Anyone else love wearing summer dresses?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 1, 2011 12:50:01 PM

Can someone please bail me out of jail?

Posted by: Rodney White | Aug 1, 2011 12:53:28 PM

You need an experienced QB, Panthers? Two words -- JEFF GARCIA, a proven winner!

Posted by: BK | Aug 1, 2011 12:54:15 PM

Next we need a CB. We are hurting there. If they get Carlos we could really be in pretty good shape.

Posted by: tellingthetruth | Aug 1, 2011 12:54:22 PM

I have been scouring every source available, but have been unable to find any articles, interviews, etc., regarding what Jake Delhomme's plans are. As a long-time avid fan of Jake's, I would LOVE to see him come back to the Panthers if only for a day and retire, as well he should, as a Carolina Panther. If he still wants to play (though with the abuse he's taken, I don't see why he would), I would hope that he can go out on a high note. You can say anything you want to about his skills, his arm surgery, etc., but no one can deny that Jake was the face of the franchise for a long time, and that he brought a great deal to Charlotte and to the Panthers. Go Jake. If anyone's heard anything, I'd love to know what Jake's plans are.

Posted by: Panthergirl | Aug 1, 2011 1:14:37 PM

Panthergirl...I havent heard anything about Jake but if I do I will let you know.

Posted by: Jake Delhomme | Aug 1, 2011 1:18:43 PM

Looks like we have a third grader making posts here today. Grow up.

Posted by: David | Aug 1, 2011 1:34:20 PM

And another thing, all you idiots who dont like Derek Anderson do not know anything about football. He was awesome in Cleveland and he just didnt get a chance in AZ. He will easily have over 4,000 passing yards and 25 td's this years.

Posted by: David | Aug 1, 2011 1:43:00 PM

this is the guy that has had several horrible years since his 1 really good season.

and he's shown some questionable attitude during this time period also. i'm not really big on this signing at all. I can see the no on jake delhomme argument, i can also see people being for delhomme. I'm trying to think of a veteran QB with experience in this type of system and i'm drawing blanks.....but there HAS TO BE a guy better than anderson. it's just a waste of roster space. armanti edwards is a better QB than that guy.

Posted by: charlottean | Aug 1, 2011 1:54:18 PM

You know what is a bad move? Our fan base is a bad move!!! If you didn't like what there doing then don't watch another game, or go to another game, or even talk about a game that the panthers have, the NFL don't owe us crap!!! The same fans that post this stuff are the same one's who will turn on there home team by wearing the visiting teams jersey at a home game... YOU SUCK!!! Let's Go Panther!!!!

Posted by: TruePantherFan | Aug 1, 2011 2:08:10 PM