« Beason limited at practice; still expected to play Sunday | Main | Jon Beason questionable for opener »

September 09, 2011

Jerry Richardson: "It was driving me crazy"

Still basking in the glow of having helped engineer the NFL's 10-year labor with players, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson joked Friday morning he was enthusiastic about the start of a new season -- until Thursday night.

"I was very excited about this season until I made the mistake last night of watching the Green Bay Packers, who are coming here in one week," Richardson cracked, referencing the defending Super Bowl champions' impressive 42-34 vcitory over New Orleans.

"Ron (Rivera) is a good coach but I wish him well."

Richardson made his remarks to several hundred guests at the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club meeting at Carmel Country Club, shortly before he was scheduled to fly to Arizona to see the Panthers open their season against the Cardinals Sunday.

During his 25-minute talk, Richardson showed his sense of humor as he touched on a variety of subjects.

-- On the 10-year labor agreement he helped broker: "The key word is certainty. We're living in a country that I have zero confidence in certainty from the people 400 or 500 miles north of us... We're going to be in business. We're the gold standard in sports and we'll continue to widen that."

-- On the public's discontent with four preseason games: "You don't have to tell me. I know you don't like that.

"I've got it. They don't got it (pointing to a table of former Panthers players)."

-- On changing directions with the franchise: "We had a plan for the Carolina Panthers that started in January, 2008. It was driving me crazy. We could not have back to back winning seasons. I couldn't take it anymore.

"We agreed we would try to be the best we could in 2008 and 2009. I said to (general manager) Marty (Hurney) and (former coach) John Fox we're not going to keep doing this over and over what we've been doing. We're going to change and we're going to go with younger players...

"Unfortunately in my judgment, the young players didn't get better and we made a coaching change. Out of all the coaches we've hired, I think Ron Rivera is perfect for the Carolina Panthers."

-- On what it was like to work in a room with fellow owners Al Davis, Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder: "That would be like going to a zoo. You see all the specimens."

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

Comments

What does JR have against the good people of Morgantown, WV (400 miles N of Charlotte) or Youngstown, OH (500 miles)??

Posted by: ac | Sep 9, 2011 11:09:02 AM

I thought he was talking about what his sons were doing with a Southpark business that made him fire them both.

Posted by: Ghoul | Sep 9, 2011 11:12:59 AM

@ac

Just curious, how far is DC from Charlotte????

Posted by: Boricua | Sep 9, 2011 11:19:08 AM

And what was that exactly?

Posted by: Capital A | Sep 9, 2011 11:20:21 AM

398 miles, north east.

Posted by: ac | Sep 9, 2011 11:21:29 AM

Any chance the people "working" in DC is who JR was talking about???

Posted by: Boricua | Sep 9, 2011 11:24:00 AM

Any chance the people "working" in DC is who JR was talking about???

Posted by: Boricua | Sep 9, 2011 11:24:00 AM

If not having winning (playoff) seasons back to back was driving him crazy... just concerned that finishing dead last two seasons in a row will send him over the edge.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 9, 2011 11:27:03 AM

I would say there is an approximately 100% chance that that is what he was talking about.

Any chance you could lighten up and take a joke?

Posted by: ac | Sep 9, 2011 11:27:39 AM

Cat Fever.........CATCH IT! Hope all is well in suite 420A...miss u guys! We went thru a lot together. Love to get together with you all for a game. Hint, hint Mr.Jim and Mr. Bob. God Bless, michael d. fowler( your former server for over 10 yrs.) miss all of u. thanks for the memories and friendships. Peace b with u all

Posted by: michael d. fowler | Sep 9, 2011 11:28:11 AM

"Certainty" means a level playing field for all and enough enforcement, oversight, and regulation to see it stays that way. Certainly Mr. Richardson understands that. Yet something tells me he's the kinda' guy who vigorously opposes the guys in Washington who are fighting like hell to do that very thing, and supports the guys who want that playing field to be as tilted in their favor as humanly possible. Kinda' like owners vs. players, or management vs. workers when you distill it down to its essence. He should know all about that, too.

Posted by: Freddy | Sep 9, 2011 11:31:28 AM

I can only assume that JR is talking about the cats in Washington, that is what I took away from the comment when I first read it. He isn't the only one that has a lack of confidence he Washington, he is with at least 60% of the country I am thinking.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Sep 9, 2011 11:37:44 AM

LOL get Mr Richardson a mic for comedy night. Just want to say good luck to him and the Panthers organization. I will be cheering hard. GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: cboss | Sep 9, 2011 11:46:32 AM

You know the Packers are to scared to come here and face the Panthers.....

Posted by: Scott | Sep 9, 2011 11:56:35 AM

You know the Packers are to scared to come here and face the Panthers.....

Posted by: Scott | Sep 9, 2011 11:56:35 AM

Freddy, I thought I told you to stay off these message board and DO YOUR CHORES!!! I don't want everyone thinking I've raised a mo-ron and you are making it very hard for me to keep it hidden!

Posted by: Freddy's Dad | Sep 9, 2011 12:01:40 PM

Green Bay had more offense in their first game than the Charlotte Kitty Cats will have in the entire season with their joke of a QB, Fig Newton.

Posted by: Carl Childers | Sep 9, 2011 12:06:44 PM

Posted by: Carl Childers | Sep 9, 2011 12:06:44 PM

hey writers, bloggers, can someone answer me this question, how is the schedule made by the nfl,it seems very bias, why do the panthers have one of the hardest schedule in the nfl when coming off a 2-14 record, can anybody answer this for me

Posted by: teemac | Sep 9, 2011 12:09:10 PM

Hey Big Cat,
No need to fear the Packers. With our awesome defensive li...er...I mean, our incredible shut-down cor...er...I see what you mean. Good luck, Coach.

Posted by: sensei | Sep 9, 2011 12:09:43 PM

Hey Big Cat,

Posted by: sensei | Sep 9, 2011 12:09:43 PM

Well put sensei. The team is making improvements and Jerry is putting some money where his mouth is. Rebuilding takes time...or you just end up like Dallas.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Sep 9, 2011 12:16:56 PM

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Sep 9, 2011 12:16:56 PM

i happened to be in the room when richardson spoke today.he was funny, engaging and open.
without context you can make any comment what you want. it's the problem with social media.
he was humorous, not the least bit controversial. an eyewitness screws things up
doesn't it.

Posted by: blackkat | Sep 9, 2011 12:19:17 PM

Is that really OUR Jerry Richardson? The owner of the Panthers? Geez, I've never heard him being that frank! He actually said, "I wish him (Ron R) well" vs the Packers. And "unfortunately...the young players didn't get better" last year. I'm with him 100% on those points. And yes, he had to be referring to Washington when he said he had zero confidence. It is what it is.

Posted by: Wowzer | Sep 9, 2011 12:24:04 PM