« Thomas Davis tears ACL again | Main | NFL analyst Gil Brandt says Cam Newton is the best rookie QB he's ever seen in NFL »

September 21, 2011

Otah expects to play

-- Panthers right tackle Jeff Otah said he expects to play Sunday against Jacksonville. Otah missed last week's game against Green Bay with a concussion he suffered in the season opener against Arizona. Otah also was to practice today.

-- Linebacker Thomas Davis, who 's out fo the season with a torn ACL, walked through the locker room but didn't speak with reporters. Davis hasn't had surgery on the knee yet.

-- Quarterback Cam Newton said his ankle, which he tweaked against Green Bay, is fine. Newton was wearing a boot Monday but didn't have it on today.

-- Jason Williams will start in Davis's weakside linebacker's spot against the Jaguars.

-- Rookie cornerback Brandon Hogan, on the PUP list following December ACL surgery, thinks he'll be eligible to play after Week 6. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on September 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

Comments

Honestly I like the Panthers, but Otah is unreliable, I am sorry. I like Cam chances over the next two games as the qb. I actually lost faith in DWill yeah the O LINe needs to open the hole but dude you did run on the outside when you got stuck. I think Cam gets 340 yds with Steve having another big day. When he gets Olsen snd Shockey really involved and the defense picks up. It might be something to watch. Can't believe everybody will be talking about winning this year with a rookie qb. But he definitely is a amazing kid.

Posted by: tbird | Sep 21, 2011 1:38:31 PM

Posted by: tbird | Sep 21, 2011 1:38:31 PM

Great news. Now if he can play three games back to back, he may be worthy of a roster spot. I am not holding my breath.

Posted by: Show me | Sep 21, 2011 1:42:37 PM

I'm more worried about linebacker. Any chance Ron Rivera could suit up?

Posted by: Stan Meihaus | Sep 21, 2011 1:50:14 PM

Not sure if he would be worth it or what it would cost to get him but didn't Lance Briggs say he wants out of Chicago again a few weeks back? Didn't he really excel when Rivera was coach there? Like I said not sure if we could get him or if he would be worth what it might take but given our linebacker depth has taken a big hit might be an option.

Posted by: m | Sep 21, 2011 1:56:48 PM

LB is not an issue. Jason Williams is solid - Thomas Williams is solid. Omar has some great experieince and can get it done and Senn is just waiting for a chance to exceed expectations. When the Panthers kept eight LBs on a 4-3 defense i was surprized - but i am thrilled they did since we would have lost anybody we cut to another team. I suspect there were concerns about Beason and his ACL and that is why they kept eight LBs...

Posted by: Dominator | Sep 21, 2011 2:29:17 PM

Posted by: Dominator | Sep 21, 2011 2:29:17 PM

Briggs is overrated... He is a good player but i wouldn't pay him what the Bears are paying him now - and he is crying for another raise...

Posted by: Dominator | Sep 21, 2011 2:31:40 PM

Illegal Procedure . . . Offense . . . #79, 5 yrds! Still 4th Down!

Posted by: Foxjon | Sep 21, 2011 2:38:56 PM

What's wrong with Beason's ACL? Maybe concern about Beason's achilles & Davis' ACL. But I agree, maybe why we kept several LB's. I still love Otah's style of play, but he does need to prove some type of durability to make himself worth the pick we used on him. If we get through this year without serious injuries, solidify the D-lines with the draft, we'll be in prime position for next year.

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 21, 2011 2:39:32 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 21, 2011 2:39:32 PM

I too hope Otah can stay healthy because if he can, I see the running game will pick up. Hopefully they have a fullback that can compliment the running backs as well.

I think the Panthers still have a good group of linebackers, but I am not sure if Dan Connor needs to start simply since he is only good against the run. Offenses will audible out of run plays to exploit Connor in coverage. Just wishing he was a coverage linebacker because he is stout and plays with intensity.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Sep 21, 2011 2:40:57 PM

I don't expect any dropoff in LB play. Jason Williams, Dan Conner and James Anderson will produce just fine. I am not sure what Jordan Pugh has been doing though... I like his talent - so maybe he just needs more experience. But we might be better off bringing in Thomas Williams for the nickel and going with three corners and two safties (3-3-5).

Posted by: Dominator | Sep 21, 2011 2:41:02 PM

I'd let Otah sit another game. I liked the way bell played against Clay Matthews on Sunday.

Posted by: ben3412 | Sep 21, 2011 2:41:36 PM

Suffering from Cam Newton - overload? Well don't read from this link: http://www.catscratchreader.co... - and don't buy the latest Sports Illustrated. The buzz we feel is going national.

Posted by: qdog112 | Sep 21, 2011 2:43:38 PM

Dang - not sure why i wrote ACL for Beason. Anyway - you understood my point. Nobody keeps eight LBs and three DTs when running a 4-3 defense unless something is up..

Posted by: Dominator | Sep 21, 2011 2:43:38 PM

I like my own comments

Posted by: Zippy | Sep 21, 2011 3:45:44 PM

I hear Cam has been turning down interview requests from the national media. Very smart Cam. Continue to concentrate on "team". All of the praise you are receiving is well deserved but remember you are a rookie and some of your veteran teammates may not like all of the positive press you are receiving. Continue to keep the focus on the team, work hard, study game film etc. Your time will come for sitting down one on one or a group setting with the national media.

Posted by: Sugarbugga | Sep 21, 2011 4:49:44 PM

In other news, Otah has been preemptively listed as questionable for next week's game....

Posted by: Phillip | Sep 21, 2011 4:56:57 PM

otah is a joke, get rid of him asap, he's not dependable at all. should have been gone, lets go with the rookie. since we've got a lot of babies let them grow up together. what's next for otah, his ankle? wrist? neck? shoulder? fingernail? jock itch? this guy is a joke!

Posted by: robray | Sep 21, 2011 5:51:49 PM

Posted by: robray | Sep 21, 2011 5:51:49 PM

robray, what's next for Otah? Bruised ovary.

Posted by: Ghoul | Sep 21, 2011 6:01:56 PM

I hate to start out negative, but two of the biggest weak spots for the Panthers are Mike Goodsen, no matter how he "contributes", and Jordan Pugh.

Goodsen is now relegated to special teams, both punt coverage and kickoff return (as a ball handler). Problem is, he has no skills at either task. He can't anticipate the punt and/or tackle worth a damn. And as a returner, he freakin' catches the ball (yeah) runs a couple yards....and then STOPS running just as he's about to experience contact!!! In each case, it is horrible, horrible character for the required skillset. MOMENTUM is huge for a kickoff or punt returner...to hit holes and slice like a hot knife through butter. Stopping your forward progression and losing momentum is like trying to bite a marble, it's useless and likely to get you hurt.

As for Pugh...he stinks (pun intended). His own personal coverage breakdowns have been numerous, legendary and costly in our two losses thus far. Cam can only do so much in helping generate offensive points....but when dingbats like Pugh are allowed to single-handedly give the game back to the opposition, we become too weak to resist as a team.

Go Panthers. Go O-line in creating lanes for our backs against J'ville. I predict our first win and a huge momentum swing for our team. Go Smitty, go Cam, Go D'Will and Stewy. Pound the Jags and continue the legend yet to be.

Posted by: dangburnit | Sep 21, 2011 7:58:07 PM

75% of you waste your time posting here because those of us that actually follow the Panthers enough to know about them, instantly read your posts and dismiss them as idiotic because you think we can just trade for some of the best players in the league (Briggs), that our lack of a running game is DeA's fault or say that Jon Beason tore his ACL... just to name a few recent posts... all of which are just dumb.

Posted by: The Guy Who Posts as Jake Delhomme | Sep 21, 2011 8:59:03 PM