« Tuesday's Carolina Panthers links | Main | Beason: I didn't come back too quickly »

September 13, 2011

Packers' base defense a 2-4-5?

Scott Fowler notes in his blog about significant numbers that the Packers' 3-4 defense of a year ago was actually a 2-4-5 (two defensive linemen, four linebackers and five defensive backs) on 68.6 percent of Green Bay's defensive plays last season, citing a Sports Illustrated statistic.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 13, 2011 at 02:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

I more concerned with stopping them. We may need a 3-4-5 to do it and I'm not sure that would even work.

Posted by: YeahRight | Sep 13, 2011 2:52:41 PM

It's not really a 2-4-5 because two LB's act as DE's on passing downs. It's really a 4-2-5 on most passing downs even though there are four LB's on the field. The problem with the scheme for the opposing offense is that you don't know which two of the four LB's will be coming but they almost always send four in passing downs. Matthews is usually sent but he'll drop in coverage also. I'm guessing they will use him more as a spy this game and send the two ILB's more then normal. But, it's not like they are dropping 9 and only rushing 2 in their "2-4-5" package. Cam is going to be tested mentally a lot more then last week.

Posted by: DaveK | Sep 13, 2011 7:58:15 PM

This game will be very tough. It will show us what were made of foreal. I'm not predicting a win, but I believe the guys will deliver another respectable outing!

Posted by: T-Mac | Sep 14, 2011 6:36:59 AM

Packers are coming at ya, Carolina!

Posted by: Pack Dan | Sep 14, 2011 9:30:07 AM

arm-chair coaches/monday morning quarterbacks don't seem to understand that you can not always define a defense by its initial set-up. Most of the time the 2 are really 4 because you walk up 2 lb to be defensive ends. that makes for creative adjustments once you are past the initial linemen. corners are really slimmed down,faster lb's. successful coaches learn to adapt to the various looks...the quicker the better for all involved. mdf.

Posted by: michael d. fowler | Sep 14, 2011 10:29:12 AM

Hope my peeps in 420A got my message last week. would love to return to the stadium for entertainment for the first time. I enjoyed my work and meeting new folks,but I miss all my ole friends and suite owners, Bob and Jim. Their families were always so up beat even in the lowest of panther times. energy,energy and dedication will get us thru these trying times. It's always darkest before dawn. God Bless, mdf.

Posted by: michael d. fowler | Sep 14, 2011 10:34:13 AM