« Rivera to miss Bears' White House visit | Main | Panthers' Godfrey doubtful for Sunday »

September 22, 2011

Panthers avoid blackout

The Panthers' game against Jacksonville on Sunday will be televised locally after Anheuser-Busch and WBTV bought the unsold tickets to ensure the game would not be blacked out.

Anheuser-Busch, corporate partner of the Panthers and the NFL, and WBTV, Charlotte's CBS affiliate that will air Sunday's game, will distribute the tickets to local charities, military members and first responders with local police, fire and EMS departments.

The Panthers had 1,200 tickets remaining as of Tuesday. Team officials did not say how many were left by Thursday's NFL deadline to avoid a blackout.

Sunday's game will be the Panthers' 87th consecutive sellout. The team has had only two blackouts since entering the league in 1995, both during the 2002 season.

[CORRECTION: The Panthers actually were blacked out for all but one of their home games during their inaugural season of 1995, when they played at Clemson.]

The Panthers failed to sell out the '02 opener, coming off a 1-15 finish in George Seifert's last year. Their last blackout was a game against Cincinnati on Dec. 8, 2002, when an icestorm hit Charlotte.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 22, 2011 at 06:11 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hard to believe an NFL game would be blacked out over less than 1,200 unsold tickets. That's pretty harsh.

Posted by: Bill Wilson | Sep 22, 2011 7:05:52 PM

Hard to believe that everyone is in love with Cam Newton but no one wants to spend the hard earned money to go see him - perhaps wins mean more than stats! Get over the stats and just win!

Posted by: littlepappy | Sep 22, 2011 7:49:27 PM

shut up little pappy and get a life

Posted by: BM | Sep 22, 2011 7:57:49 PM

I think the NFL and the owners across the league need to reevaluate the price points. The fact of the matter is that upper level tickets cost at least around $40. Given the current state of the economy and the fact that games are on television, it is really difficult to ask fans to spend $100 minimum to go to the games. This is not just a Carolina problem, instead a potential league-wide epidemic.

Posted by: BabyBoi | Sep 22, 2011 8:27:54 PM

Posted by: BabyBoi | Sep 22, 2011 8:27:54 PM

Posted by: BabyBoi | Sep 22, 2011 8:27:54 PM

Posted by: BabyBoi | Sep 22, 2011 8:27:54 PM

WE WANT WINS...That's all ,stats and smiles don't matter ,and vs the Jags will be the 1st of 4 win-able games...Just win that's all that counts.

Posted by: Rae Carruth | Sep 22, 2011 8:32:04 PM

LOL...the greatest QB ever to play the game starts here, and we have exactly FOUR of our sixteen games that are even "winnable?" Wow.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 22, 2011 8:44:36 PM

the panthers just had 2 win-nable games. every game is a win-nable game!

Posted by: joe cool | Sep 22, 2011 8:50:33 PM

Go suck Jake Proton

Posted by: kevin | Sep 22, 2011 8:55:46 PM

When my mom lets me out of the basement, I am gonna kick your a** Kevin!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 22, 2011 10:10:15 PM

How many did peyton win as a rookie?

Posted by: charlottean | Sep 23, 2011 12:22:00 AM

How many did peyton win as a rookie?

Posted by: charlottean | Sep 23, 2011 12:22:00 AM

I think Cam looks good and only made some rookie mistakes however that's not good enough. After season like last year fans want a winning season back to back before they decide to drink the coolaid.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Sep 23, 2011 12:44:33 AM

I agree with baby boi! I moved to Jacksonville and ticket prices here are way cheaper! I wish it was those prices in Carolina! It does cost an arm and a leg to go to a game. When I lived in Charlotte I did not miss a game from 2004 to 2010, but with HDTV, Sunday ticket free, it's tough to convince people to go spend that type of money in this economy. Owners definatly need to reevaluate!!!! GO PANTHERS!!!!

Posted by: OG panther fan | Sep 23, 2011 5:46:37 AM

Posted by: OG panther fan | Sep 23, 2011 5:46:37 AM

Peyton won 1 game as a rookie

Posted by: randy | Sep 23, 2011 8:03:13 AM

I see the beer prices went up a $1! Heavy tailgating I guess!

Posted by: panfan1 | Sep 23, 2011 8:13:22 AM

So Procton did you want us to still have Jake here as QB. Yeah it is obvious Everyone is wrong about Jake and he was going to be our guy for the next 5 to 10 years.

Either your a fan of panthers or not, it is not about Coaches or Players!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 23, 2011 10:19:30 AM

no randy, peyton won 3 games, he was 3-13 as a rookie.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 23, 2011 10:31:29 AM

Thanks to A-B for buying the tix. Guess I'll have to buy a BL 6-pack to say thanks from my easy chair in High Point. Go Panthers....stop MJD!

Posted by: Bud Light | Sep 23, 2011 10:56:26 AM

Procton hates the Panther's and Bobcat's, it makes me wonder if he even lives here. But he spends his time writing negative comments about them. Something is wrong with that guy. Hey Procton being a fan is like a marriage we have to stick together for better or worse. No team is perfect with perfect players. If you don't like our professional teams stay the heck of our stories and comment blogs loser!

Posted by: easye | Sep 23, 2011 1:45:06 PM

Longterm, it's better not to win this year and get a top 5 pick in each round and put some young top shelf talent around Cam. Assuming Marty doesn't trade the picks to move up and bring in some more DII players a few rounds ahead of when they would otherwise get picked.

I think we will win Sunday, but I am going because I knew this would be an easy ticket to scalp. The Jags fans don't travel and our fans don't drive from far away to see the Jags.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Sep 23, 2011 8:50:05 PM