« Davis suffers leg injury, uncertain how serious | Main | Otah expects to play »

September 19, 2011

Thomas Davis tears ACL again

The Panthers were dealt a huge blow Monday when outside linebacker Thomas Davis learned he had re-torn the ACL in his right knee, an injury expected to end his season and could threaten to end his career.

It is the third time in less than 23 months that Davis has torn the ACL. He originally was injured in a game against the Saints on Nov. 8, 2009, then re-tore the ligament during a backpedal drill at OTAs last June.

"I would like 2 take the time and thank every1 that has supported me over my career," Davis wrote on Twitter. "Unfortunately, I have re torn my acl. Thx 4 da prayers!!"

It is the second consecutive week the Panthers have lost a starting linebacker.

Middle linebacker Jon Beason had season-ending surgery on his torn Achilles last week and is on injured reserve. Beason and Davis are two of the team's six captains.

Davis missed all of last season, but returned to start both of the Panthers' first two games in 2011. Davis led the Panthers with seven tackles in Week 1 at Arizona.

Davis received a five-year contract extension worth $35.5 million before the season, but only one year at $8 million was guaranteed.

Davis was injured in the second half Sunday against Green Bay when he was hit in the leg by a Panthers' player.  He returned to the game for one play before sitting the rest of the game.

Dan Connor replaced Beason in the starting lineup against the Packers and finished with two tackles. Free agent acquisition Omar Gaither has extensive starting experience.

Gaither, a Charlotte native, started 36 games in five years in Philadelphia before signing with Carolina in August.

In other injury news, Ron Rivera said:

--Right tackle Jeff Otah is making progress in his recovery from a concussion. Otah, who missed Sunday's game, lifted weights and rode a stationary bike today.

Rivera indicated the Panthers would learn later in the week whether Otah has been cleared to play this week against Jacksonville.

--Quarterback Cam Newton received treatment on his ankle, which he twisted while getting sacked in the second half against Green Bay. The injury is not considered serious.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Comments

I hope all of our injured players make a quick recovery. I hope Deangelo Williams steps it up the next game and hit the holes a little faster.

Posted by: Panther Fan | Sep 19, 2011 1:15:11 PM

Thomas Davis just tweeted: "I would like 2 take the time and thank every1 that has supported me over my career. Unfortunately, I have re torn my acl. Thx 4 da prayers!!"

Posted by: Anon | Sep 19, 2011 2:00:36 PM

Posted by: Anon | Sep 19, 2011 2:00:36 PM

Posted by: Anon | Sep 19, 2011 2:00:36 PM

Does Gaither replace Davis?

Posted by: Nosebleed Fan | Sep 19, 2011 2:08:56 PM

seriously!! s!!!

Posted by: 10-4! | Sep 19, 2011 2:13:49 PM

i pray that youre a troll

Posted by: me | Sep 19, 2011 2:30:35 PM

Did carrying Beason's jersey (an injured Panther) when the defensive players were announced before the game curse him?

Posted by: Nosebleed Fan | Sep 19, 2011 2:31:10 PM

IT'S THE DAN MORGAN LINEBACKER CURSE!

Posted by: ray | Sep 19, 2011 2:33:23 PM

me,
what the hell are you talking about idiot

Posted by: 10-4! | Sep 19, 2011 2:37:15 PM

Thanks TD for everything.

Posted by: 10-4! | Sep 19, 2011 2:39:47 PM

thats most likely TD's career ending injury. Thanks for the effort.

Posted by: #1 fan | Sep 19, 2011 2:58:06 PM

Our prayers are with you Thomas Davis. Thanks for all the hard work you have given to this organization over the past years. Unfortunately injuries slowed you down, but hey life is not perfect. Maybe God have better plans for you, before something even more serious happens. Well I know he has better plans for you. Thanks for everything bro.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 19, 2011 2:58:34 PM

Posted by: Jim | Sep 19, 2011 2:58:34 PM

Posted by: Jim | Sep 19, 2011 2:58:34 PM

Posted by: Jim | Sep 19, 2011 2:58:34 PM

Jim, I hope and pray he gets the message haha

Posted by: Besus | Sep 19, 2011 3:07:14 PM

Reminder: The Panthers guaranteed Davis $8 MILLION before playing a single snap this year.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 19, 2011 3:24:03 PM

@ Procton...and your point is?

Posted by: superlucchic | Sep 19, 2011 3:43:22 PM

Procton, teams make mistakes, your parents ought to know that.

Posted by: JD | Sep 19, 2011 3:43:46 PM

WOW!! So is this the end of the road for this guy? Absolutely HATE this for him. Good luck TD!

Posted by: Josh | Sep 19, 2011 3:49:27 PM