« Rivera sticking with young returners | Main | Rivera ready for Panthers to roll »

October 21, 2011

Darius Rucker apologizes to Cam Newton

Darius Rucker, the familiar voice of Hootie and the Blowfish and now a country music star, is a serious football fan.

And he is apologizing to Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

Rucker, who performed in Charlotte Thursday night, is the subject of our Sunday 'First and Ten' section in our pre-game Panthers package. He talks about a variety of football-related subjects and here's a preview.

Asked his impression of Cam Newton, Rucker said:

"I was one of those who when he was coming out of college, me being a Gamecock fan and knowing what he did to us and the SEC last year, I was a hater.

"I'll never forget his first (regular-season) game. I told a buddy that Cam is going to get blown up. I would like to apologize to Cam Newton. I was dead wrong.

"He's a helluva player. His football IQ is off the charts. I love his body language. I love the way he walks down the field. You know he's a leader. Every day I'm becoming more and more of a Cam Newton fan. If you'd told last year I'd be saying that, I'd have said you're crazy."

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 21, 2011 at 09:04 AM | Permalink

Comments

It takes a real man to admit when he is wrong.

Posted by: Real Panther | Oct 21, 2011 9:21:22 AM

There are a lot of us who are having to eat our words about Cam these days. I have been completely shocked and impressed at how well he has adjusted to the NFL game.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Oct 21, 2011 9:37:49 AM

Mark me as another. I never thought he'd be doing this well. Hats off to Cam, keep up the good work!!

Posted by: Curry | Oct 21, 2011 10:08:53 AM

Darius needs to get out of country music and analyzing football........

Posted by: trinity | Oct 21, 2011 10:40:32 AM

Stock broker, list some facts. What has he done wrong as a pro that makes him a terrible role model? Celebrating touchdowns? Is that really so offensive to you? And you should really watch what you post; those last few lines could be interpreted as a threat. If you dislike the guy, fine. You don't have spew your hatred for everyone else to see.

Posted by: jeff | Oct 21, 2011 10:42:02 AM

pretty sure shane and stock trader are haters. Took time to READ the post, COMMENT on the post. Pitiful. If you don't like the guy don't read it regardless he is making millions, going to be rookie of the year and you sir will be sitting on your computer behind a hidden name posting garbage per usual. Good day.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 21, 2011 10:42:15 AM

I love how much Cam is loved.....but not as much as I loved the passes he made to my Falcons last week.

Thanks buddy, you can play in the ATL anytime........so long as you aren't wearing a ATL jersey.

Posted by: The Falconer | Oct 21, 2011 10:42:20 AM

1-5, enough said.

Posted by: I know | Oct 21, 2011 10:43:33 AM

stock trader = jimmy clausen ?????

Posted by: Sir Pir | Oct 21, 2011 10:44:53 AM

stock trader must be a Bama fan. You still mad because he spotted your team 24 points and led Auburn to an improbable camback win?

Seriously. Let the Auburn stuff go. Auburn did no wrong. Cam did no wrong. Cam's daddy did wrong with Mississippi State, but not Auburn. Ask the NCAA. They'll tell you that and they generally DON'T give teams the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, the Panthers are 1-5, but, unfortunately, one man can't do it alone. Give Cam some more weapons and shore up that defense and the Panthers will be a team ready for a deep run in the playoffs. They've been in position to win just about every game so far this season. It's growing pains... but soon Cam and the Panthers will GROW UP!

Posted by: Hurricane | Oct 21, 2011 10:46:16 AM

Really Joe? Rookie of the Year? Sounds like a typical Panthers fan. Doesn't know anybody unless they play for the Panthers. AJ Green or Andy Dalton Rookie of the year in the AFC and NFC will go to Mark Ingram.

Posted by: shane | Oct 21, 2011 10:48:17 AM

Cam is still a kid, and shows his immaturity, such as with the touchdown dance. That's the kind of thing you do when there is some consistent level of excellence to back it up, not when you're team is struggling to win its 2nd game.

But I have been impressed so far with his abilities considering he's a rookie. At least the Panthers are fun to watch again...in the first halves.

What I notice is that opposing teams seem to be a bit surprised by Cam in the first half of games, but they seem to be able to solve the puzzle and make better adjustments in the 2nd half than the Panthers do.

Posted by: telamon | Oct 21, 2011 10:53:36 AM

Shane...

Mark Ingram - NFC Rookie Of The Year? Over Cam Newton? Fo' Reals?

Ingram has 283 Rusing Yards with 3 TDs.

Cam has 207 Rushing Yards and 6 TDs along with over 1800 yards passing and 7 TDs.

Compelling argument you have there.

Posted by: Hurricane | Oct 21, 2011 10:56:05 AM

Shane, you are nuts....Cam is a lock for rookie of the year, if he continues to play the way he has been playing. I had Mark Ingram in my Fantasy League and dropped him. Cam is # 2 in total points in my league as well, behind Aaron Rodgers. Dalton and AJ are very good and I see AJ as a pro bowler down road...real soon. The Bengals success also comes because they have the # 2 Defense in the NFL. If the Panthers had the # 2 Defense they would be either undefeated or 5-1, not 1-5.

Posted by: Shameful Shane | Oct 21, 2011 11:01:34 AM

I wonder how well he'll do after teams get used to his skill set. I am curious to see if he always plays the shotgun etc.

We need to give him some more time, he is doing good and is certainly making the panthers worth watching....but one win so far. I can't crown him yet, but if you want to crown his rear then crown it. So far we've been letting teams off the hook at the end of games.

Posted by: Juan the Revelator | Oct 21, 2011 11:01:37 AM

Ingram will blow up before the end of the year. Finish with 1200 yds and 9 td. Cam will throw more picks than TD's.

Posted by: shane | Oct 21, 2011 11:04:52 AM

i agree brook. one thing that i like most about cam's play is how many receivers he uses.....people are in awe of his presence, leadership, skills etc.....but he will win by using all the WR's, TE's etc....it is great team play.

Posted by: vivian | Oct 21, 2011 11:28:39 AM

and Darius praised Cam on stage!

Posted by: Tim Collie | Oct 21, 2011 12:39:40 PM

I am a huge Cam Newton fan and Carolina Panthers fan. And I know we have a very special talent now in Cam. But as much as people talk about how great Cam is, his stats, other than yardage, are not that great. He has thrown 9 ints to 7 tds, I think. I know, Manning set the record for INTs in his rookie season, I'm not at all saying Cam is a bust. I truly believe he is going to be one of the greatest to ever play this game. But I do know, other than yardage, he is not putting up "WOW" numbers. His leadership is amazing and his accuracy is very much improved since the preseason. And he is getting better every day. But I think we all can agree that we have had our chances to win in about 3 games but passes couldn't be made in the redzone at the ends of those games. I know it doesn't come down to one player and it shouldn't come down to one play, but he isn't as great as some are saying right now. Let me repeat, I am SUPER excited to see what Cam is going to do for this organization and this city and I am impressed with how well he has played considering what was expected. But I do know he has thrown more picks than tds and has struggled in the redzone. I'm believing we are going to get this turned around this week though against the Redskins and go on a bit of run. So excited about the future of this team and Cam!

Posted by: Shane | Oct 21, 2011 2:01:52 PM

Cam's the man. When's the last time you heard any talk of Andrew Luck in Panther nation (except for the occasional Cam Hater idiot).

Also this: It pisses me off when fans (or analysts) say "act like you've been there." Why? If Cam Newton doesn't tell me how to celebrate my daughter's birthday, then I won't tell him how to celebrate touchdowns! Why don't YOU score a touchdown in the NFL and then not appear happy about it. Stupid comments.

Panthers 1-5: The Cats are an exciting team with an explosive offense, and are .... not very good at anything else right now. You are what you are in the NFL. Not Cam's fault. The interceptions are increasing because he's pressing a little, trying to score more points. Although, in the ATL game, 1 INT was on a hail mary, and the tipped ball was a fluke. And hell, the screen pass was a damn good play by the DLineman. He shouldn't have thrown it, but 9 times out of 10 a 300 pounder won't make that catch.

Anyone hating on the kid at this point has issues. 3 Years from now Cam Newton and the Panthers will be MUCH better than whoever drafts Andrew Luck. Bet on it. Yeah, I said it.

Posted by: Scott in CA | Oct 21, 2011 2:02:09 PM

I want to see cam and edwards in a package that lets edwards throw the ball. Maybe rivera should talk to some 1 about how much of a threat 2 qbs canbe in the game at the same time. Hell he's not doing anything on the bench.

Posted by: Gbang Bitch | Oct 21, 2011 2:09:30 PM

What idiotic comments on the “Panther’s” fan forum. Cam is a player. Glad to have him and hope they continue to build a team around him. And for you “football” fans, Cam’s dance after the touchdown was a tribute to Deon Sanders – who was in attendance. Brainless . . .

Posted by: VAPanther | Oct 21, 2011 2:25:55 PM

Of course Cam can't be expected to win games by himself. However, I get a hell of a chuckle out of all the guys on here drooling over him. Say what you want about his "poise", "confidence", "moves", etc. - the fact is, he's a QB with a 1-5 record. Period.

Posted by: Guy | Oct 21, 2011 4:05:35 PM

One of the most entertaining things about reading Cam Newton articles is reading the HATE that so many people have for this kid after exceeding expectations and proving he can play on the NFL level. To put that much energy in disliking somebody...to cyber stalk this kid and follow every positive article someone writes about him just to come and comment and post something negative is the single greatest act of LAMENESS known to man. GET A LIFE, GET A MATE, JUST GET SOMETHING

Posted by: Peezo | Oct 21, 2011 4:58:56 PM

mark ingram will have a torn acl before the season is halfway over....even if he doesn't cam could stop right now and probably win rookie of the year as he had shattered the record books and he has not even had a defense to get him the ball

Posted by: rick | Oct 21, 2011 5:01:21 PM