« VIDEO: Two perspectives on Panthers at Falcons | Main | Rookie Bell gets start for injured Otah »

October 14, 2011

Hurney: No trade discussions

There is no truth to published reports that the Panthers are looking into acquiring Denver wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said today, "We've had no trade discussions with any teams about any players."

Head coach Ron Rivera said the same thing.

"We're not talking to anybody about any trades," Rivera said after practice. "And as of right now, we have no intention (of trade talks).

"We like our situation, our cirumstances, our guys. All this stuff breaks last night and I hear it all morning. You hear guys ask. I want to make sure people understand."

The Panthers were one of a handful of teams identified today by the Denver Post as having expressed an interest in acquiring Lloyd, who led the NFL in receiving yards last season but will become a free agent after this season.

The NFL trade deadline is Tuesday and Lloyd is among the players whose names have come in possible trade discussion.

According the Post, Carolina and Tennessee have shown interest in Lloyd, whose numbers are down this season and whose role may decline as the Broncos are expected to shift to more of ball-control style offense under quarterback Tim Tebow. The Broncos are reportedly asking for a third to fifth-round draft pick should they decide to trade Lloyd.

Last season, Lloyd had 1,448 receiving yards on 77 receptions, including 11 touchdowns. He is scheduled to make $1.395 million this season.

This season, Lloyd has 19 catches for 283 yards and no touchdowns while missing one game with a groin injury.

INJURY UPDATE: Defensive tackle Charles Johnson (hip) and offensive lineman Jeff Otah (back) both participated in practice Friday and are expected to play Sunday.

Safety Jermale Hines missed practice again due to illness.

"Better and better," Rivera said when asked if he feels encouraged about Otah's availability against Atlanta. "He worked a little bit today and moved around pretty good. We'll just see how he is Sunday morning."

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 14, 2011 at 01:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

They should pull the trigger on Lloyd, that gives us a definite #2 who has unbelievable hands, the guy has made several rediculous top 10 highlight grabs over the years and this will only help Cam. Put Lafell at #3 and do whatever you want with Nanee and we've got the most lethal WR mix in the league! You wouldn't be able to draft anybody better from 3-5 so why not pull the trigger? Lloyd is good to go now,GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: ShaneP | Oct 14, 2011 1:51:11 PM

Brandon Lloyd is a Beast.....I for one would be totally on board with trading for him. I wonder if we could somehow trade for Vaughn Miller. Lol!!!!!! :-)

Posted by: Demisfit2000 | Oct 14, 2011 2:09:31 PM

Please Hurney make a good decision and pick up Lloyd. Nanee is garbage and not worth the #2 spot. We have the money so invest it with some brains instead of picking up some trash 3rd round rookie you have to teach how to play at the NFL level. Go Cats

Posted by: Panthers12345 | Oct 14, 2011 2:13:26 PM

Hurney, why don't you get off your butt and make a trade that makes sense!! You gave away a first round pick for Armanti Edwards and you can't give up a 4-5 round pick who is a proven asset??? This team will not be competitive until your butt is gone! You have wasted enough of our time.

Posted by: Realtree71 | Oct 14, 2011 2:16:17 PM

Posted by: Realtree71 | Oct 14, 2011 2:16:17 PM

Yet another opportunity that Hurney will screw up. I think the Clausen-for-Lloyd rumor floating around yesterday was bogus, but still if they'll give him up for a late-round pick and/or a player we don't need (Clausen?:), why wouldn't you do this?? Even at 30 Lloyd is still so much better than Naanee it's not even close.

Posted by: Joe F. | Oct 14, 2011 2:29:35 PM

If we could get Lloyd for a 4th or 5th rounder, we should make the trade. Granted, Lloyd has only had 1 good year out of the 9 he's been in the league and he is 30 yrs old. But I still think he can contribute more to this team than what we currently have and I also think he's a better WR then we could get with either the 4th or 5th rounder we'd give up for him. JMHO

Posted by: DavidI | Oct 14, 2011 2:32:57 PM

Make the trade Hurney!!!! We've still got our first and second round picks, and I'm sure we're planning on using the fourth or fifth round picks on a wide receiver, we typically do use our later round picks on WR's, usually our 3rd, which we traded to get Olsen, so give up a 4th, get us a #2 WR.

Posted by: el | Oct 14, 2011 2:46:55 PM

They need to trade for someone who can play defense. If the cats didn't allow 30 pts. per game, we'd have more wins.

Posted by: alan johnson | Oct 14, 2011 2:47:48 PM

While anyone who knows football would be happy to have a talent like Brandon Lloyd, my guess is that our offense is pretty much set, and that defense is in much greater need of upgrade .... I was amazed at the push that JR and management put into free agency/trades before the season started, and this fan couldn't be happier. I for one almost want to apologize for bad mouthing Mr. Richardson so bad on this site, though it was in the midst of last season's nightmare.

Posted by: GoPanthers2011 | Oct 14, 2011 2:51:50 PM

Posted by: GoPanthers2011 | Oct 14, 2011 2:51:50 PM

Posted by: GoPanthers2011 | Oct 14, 2011 2:51:50 PM

"....as Denver moves to a more ball-control offense."

John Fox offense comes to Denver!

Good luck with that Bronco fans!

Soooooo glad he's gone.

Posted by: GLOBLWMR | Oct 14, 2011 2:52:51 PM

If it is true, Denver is shopping Lloyd for a 3rd-5th rounder.....Hurney better be the first in line on this one!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 14, 2011 2:52:52 PM

Most of you guys are idiots. Lloyd is in the final year of his contract, and will go to the highest bidder next season. So you guys want us to give a a couple draft picks for 11 games. Lay off the rock, and get a clue.

Posted by: johnboy | Oct 14, 2011 2:53:04 PM

Posted by: GoPanthers2011 | Oct 14, 2011 2:55:14 PM

I just love the direction I think the team is going in, personally. I mean, obviously nobody predicted that Cam would be this amazing this early. So that's got a lot to do with it. But we should give credit where it's due to Hurney and Mr. Richardson for making the moves and investments they have. The wins haven't come yet, but I feel like they will, and I like what I've seen from this bunch. A lot. Give me Cam Newton over any QB in the NFL right now, hands down. I just love the direction I think the team is going in, personally. I mean, obviously nobody predicted that Cam would be this amazing this early. So that's got a lot to do with it. But we should give credit where it's due to Hurney and Mr. Richardson for making the moves and investments they have. The wins haven't come yet, but I feel like they will, and I like what I've seen from this bunch. A lot. Give me Cam Newton over any QB in the NFL right now, hands down.

Posted by: GoPanthers2011 | Oct 14, 2011 2:55:56 PM

No mid-season trade for a receiver ever, ever works. (See Roy Williams) Receivers get comfortable in an offensive system and with a certain QB. Especially in Denver where Orton had no where else to go with the ball than Lloyd. And the Broncos were awful last year. So I do not think, this year at least, Lloyd would make any more impact than LaFell. We need a linebacker

Posted by: J Fo | Oct 14, 2011 2:56:57 PM

Why would want a trade for a number #2 WR when we have such other glaring needs elsewehere? Trade away a 3rd Round pick that we'll need on the defense? Why? Then when you get Gettis back next year, you'll be log-jammed at the position while you have holes at the DT and Secondary levels. Since you're building for the future, you give nothing beyond a 5th Round pick. If not, forget about it.

Posted by: Big Mike | Oct 14, 2011 3:05:05 PM

Posted by: Big Mike | Oct 14, 2011 3:05:05 PM

Posted by: Big Mike | Oct 14, 2011 3:05:13 PM

Crap. Multiple posts. I hate this posting module

Based on the direction and state of each of these teams, this game is a toss-up. Atlanta is realing and is looking to get back on track. Carolina is looking to stop this trend of moral victories. Cam's homecoming. Advantage: Carolina.

Posted by: Big Mike | Oct 14, 2011 3:08:10 PM

We do NOT need Lloyd right now! (currently 5ht rated NFL passing offense) We need defensive help, or have you idiots clamoring for Lloyd not seen how badly we are getting gashed? If we trade for anyone it should be either Asante Samuel or some stout DT. At least with Samuel we could play more man coverage and bring more guys down to help stop the run.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 14, 2011 3:20:18 PM

I want to be the first Male Panthes Tom Cat. GO PANTHERS

Posted by: Chirs The Mountain Lion | Oct 14, 2011 3:25:41 PM

Ugh, sad at this news. Lloyd would be a beast and we're not going to get any starters in rounds 4 or 5 anyways. If no Lloyd, please put small-hands LaFell in as #2.

Posted by: imronburgundy | Oct 14, 2011 3:26:37 PM