« Panthers place Jeff Otah on IR | Main | Rivera sticking with young returners »

October 19, 2011

Newton not worried about getting hit

Panthers coach Ron Rivera expressed concern last week about the hits his rookie quarterback was taking in the running game.

But Cam Newton, whose 46 carries are second on the team, does not share those concerns.

I don't take hits. That concern wasn't brought to my attention,” Newton said today. “When people see me play, of course, I have the ability to run. I don't think I take those crushing hits that people think I take.

I think I get down as much as I can before I take the hit. Or if I do take a hit, I think of it as if I was in the pocket, it's nothing different. If you're in that pocket and you know you're about to take a hit, but if you can get a completion, that can be well worth it.”

Newton has rushed for 210 yards, tied with tailback Jonathan Stewart for second most behind DeAngelo Williams' 302 rushing yards. Newton also has been sacked 11 times while taking every offensive snap for the 1-5 Panthers.

Newton is averaging nearly 8 carries a game, many of which have come on scramble plays. Rivera said last week he would like to “whittle down” that number.

The Panthers also have an option package that is similar to what Newton ran at Auburn.

But Newton said he understands the risks of running and prepares accordingly.

Playing quarterback, you know you're a vulnerable person on any given play,” he said. “When I do tuck it and run, I don't take the hits that people would assume I take.”

Other highlights of Newton's weekly session with the media:

--He bristled at the suggestion the Panthers are entering a stretch of “winnable games” at home against Washington, Minnesota and Tennessee.

“I don't like that statement,” said Newton, adding they should all be considered winnable.

--Newton said he was happy his older brother, Cecil Newton Jr., is back in the NFL after signing with Green Bay. But Newton joked that he was unhappy he had to find out from teammates that the Packers had picked him up.

“I was teasing him, I didn't even know he was in the league,” Newton said. “That's just how we are. We tease with each other. I wish him the best. That goes without even saying.”

Cecil Newton Jr. is an offensive lineman who previously spent time on Jacksonville's roster.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 19, 2011 at 03:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Cam hasn't taken every offensive snap this season. We've run some wildcat. Just felt like being annoying and pointing that out

Posted by: ryan o | Oct 19, 2011 3:58:17 PM

Well Ryan it worked!! lol

Posted by: panfan1 | Oct 19, 2011 4:42:19 PM

Cam has been on the field for every offensive snap, even if a few plays have been the wildcat.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 19, 2011 5:14:05 PM

Man Robert, you need some reading comprehension. The statement in the article stated "Newton had been sacked 11 times while taking every offensive snap for the 1-5 Panthers". It didn't state he was on the field for every snap, but that he had taken every snap. Ryan pointed out how that was wrong because DeAngelo has taken a snap when lined up in the wildcat.

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Oct 19, 2011 7:17:07 PM

When there's been pressure in the pocket, Cam has felt it...Very impressive for a rookie.

Posted by: BG | Oct 19, 2011 7:22:45 PM

Who's forced to pass on 75% of the plays.

Posted by: BG | Oct 19, 2011 7:23:53 PM

When the Panthers coaches get better at play calling, personnel codices,etc., the team will excel. They need to make LaFell #2.

Posted by: Willy | Oct 19, 2011 11:42:50 PM

Until D-Will gets his 20 carries per game, Panthers will continue to lose... I have been calling it for weeks and there they stand 1-5... It's sad how much these incompetent people are paid to not know what they are doing... I said Newton would have multiple multiple pick games until the panthers learned to establish the run game with their high paid tail back... Unfortunately, they haven't gotten the message, even though the losses are piling up...

Posted by: JC | Oct 20, 2011 12:44:05 AM

Its wonderful that Cam has a lot of yards but I would rather Stewart getting his numbers up. No matter how talented to qb is, you don't let him have more yards than Stewie.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Oct 20, 2011 2:47:16 AM

"Newton not worried about getting hit"?

Famous last words.

Cecil Jr is a joke and was cut from the Jags long ago as a 3rd stringer. Green Bay must need a practice squader at minimum wage.

Posted by: andy | Oct 20, 2011 9:32:29 AM

JC, I agree about the running, I guess they feel 10 between the 2 runners equals that, but the type of running "shotgun runs" is why they have struggled at times.
Cam being in shotgun 80 to 85% of the time is not helping(maybe this will change next season). When you are in shotgun that many times you are limiting yourself, no matter how many diff. formations you try. It's hard to do play action from shotgun(sarcasm) and if he is under center than it's kind of obvious.

Anyway, if they would just STOP all of the throwing in Red Zone and 3rd and short, right there is probably the difference in the wins/losses. All of this is IMO!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 20, 2011 9:42:05 AM

Yeah I don't think so, the only team "Skins" have beat that are playing decent, are the Giants. Look at the teams we have played, 4 playoff teams from last season.

John Beck is going to make our Defense look good this week.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 20, 2011 10:42:07 AM

And our defense will find a way to make John Beck look like a Pro Bowl-caliber QB this week.

Posted by: EQ | Oct 20, 2011 11:46:52 AM

yeah well or there's that

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 20, 2011 2:02:01 PM

...Unfortunately. /=

Posted by: EQ | Oct 20, 2011 5:13:54 PM

interesting fact that people around don't know, lafell has not drop a pass yet this season, start lafell, please start lafell, time for a campaign to start lafell..cam and lafell are the future, i hope the panthers can see this..

Posted by: panthernation | Oct 20, 2011 11:15:37 PM