« Cam Newton will not accept losing | Main | Panthers trying new kick returner »

October 06, 2011

Saints game personal for Jeremy Shockey

Jeremy Shockey is still trying to figure out the NFL's new concussion protocol, which allowed Michael Vick to play after his concussion but kept other players on the sideline.

But the Panthers' first-year tight end knows this much: He doesn't want to miss Sunday's game against New Orleans, which cut him after last season.

“I know the personnel. I know everyone from the owners all the way down. Have a lot of respect for everyone in that organization,” Shockey said today. “But that's the first time I've ever been cut or released in my life. So I'm not going to sit here and say I'm not going to have a bitter taste in my mouth about being pushed off to the side and say, 'See you, good luck,' and everything like that.

“But I had a great experience there. Won a Super Bowl, won a lot of games, made a lot of plays. Respect everyone on that team.”

Shockey missed Wednesday's practice after sustaining a concussion against Chicago last weekend. He also has been playing with a broken finger since Week 1, but indicated he would not miss a chance to play the Saints.

Sean Payton, who coached Shockey in New York and New Orleans, called Shockey one of his favorite players this week.

“If I was one of his favorite players, I'd still be there,” Shockey said.

Shockey spent three injury-plagued seasons in New Orleans and helped the Saints win their first Super Bowl in 2009. But Shockey, who was set to earn $4.2 million this year for the Saints, posted career lows in receptions (41) and receiving yards (408) in 13 games in 2010.

Shockey, 31, has 11 receptions for 178 yards in four games with Carolina.

Payton credited Shockey with helping develop Jimmy Graham, the NFL's leading receiver among tight ends.

“I'm not done. I've played this game for a long time,” Shockey said. “It's a business, I know that. I don't hold anything personal – that long. But I do hold things personally.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 6, 2011 at 02:43 PM | Permalink

Comments

Read my name for my thoughts.

Posted by: Proctons a Loser | Oct 6, 2011 3:00:35 PM

Read my name for my thoughts.

Posted by: Proctons a Loser | Oct 6, 2011 3:00:35 PM

Shockey has given us way more than I expected. Not only has he produced but he brings that "swagger" that this team has been lacking for a long time. J-Shock, hope you play on Sunday and stick it to the 'aints, we love you here in Charlotte!

Posted by: Diddy | Oct 6, 2011 3:06:45 PM

I'm the worst receiver in the history of the Carolina Panthers franchise and make Keary Colbert look good.

Posted by: Legadu Nanee | Oct 6, 2011 3:15:59 PM

Shockey stayed hurt on the Saints, and wasn't worth anywhere near the $4 mil he was due. You would think such a veteran player would understand the difference, and not be a big mouth.
Shockey = in 3 games - 11 rec - 178 yards
Graham = in 1 game - 10 rec - over 130 yards
Nuff Said!!!

Posted by: Chad | Oct 6, 2011 3:29:06 PM

With all due respect, I take offense that you consider Keary worse than me. I wanted to make sure other people see this and not just me bc I'm drunk.

Posted by: Dwayne Jarrett | Oct 6, 2011 3:30:09 PM

Make'em pay Shockey, make'em pay.

Posted by: Tee Nimblestix | Oct 6, 2011 3:31:22 PM

I must say i'm proud of the leadership of the Saints, especially Brees, which held that loudmouth Shockey's mouth shut while he was here. I see it didn't take him long to open it up again. Remove him even slightly from the game plan, and he will lose his mind. Love that he's in the division. Now if only Reggie Bush would be traded to the Bucs.

Posted by: Chad | Oct 6, 2011 3:32:25 PM

It didnt take him long to open it up again?? Tee numblestix i guess you have never been interviewed before or know anything about it usually when you do one you have to talk doesnt really work if you dont. Anyways shockey i love this guy he is splitting it with olsen which i also love that guy but shock should have a TD also

Posted by: Tytyeli | Oct 6, 2011 3:42:21 PM

Sorry that was at chad

Posted by: Tytyeli | Oct 6, 2011 3:43:22 PM

Sorry that was at chad

Posted by: Tytyeli | Oct 6, 2011 3:43:22 PM

Chad = partially punched, partially attached, and partially hung.

Posted by: dahC | Oct 6, 2011 3:46:32 PM

There's a difference in doing an interview, and opening your loud arrogant mouth. It blows my mind that he would have an issue with the Saints at all. He's a naturally immature spoiled rotten Miami baby. He got a ring with the Saints, and has the nerve to talk trash about being released. What a baby. I hope he does play!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chad | Oct 6, 2011 3:50:30 PM

Shockey you still getting paid. Geaux Saints!

Posted by: NFC South | Oct 6, 2011 3:57:43 PM

Chad: He said he wants to play against the Saints because they were the first team to release him. I don't think he really has an "issue". Let me put it in Louisiana terms for you....it's similar to when your mom is dumped by your dad (who is also your brother)and she tires to look hot for him by putting in her fake teeth when she knows she may bump into him while out on a date with your neighbor ( who is also your son).

Posted by: Roaring Riot | Oct 6, 2011 4:09:49 PM

Posted by: Roaring Riot | Oct 6, 2011 4:09:49 PM

Posted by: Roaring Riot | Oct 6, 2011 4:09:49 PM

Posted by: Roaring Riot | Oct 6, 2011 4:09:49 PM

If Shockey truly had respect for Payton and the Saint's organization, he never would have shot his mouth off this way. If it weren't for Payton taking him on, he wouldn't be the holder of a Super Bowl ring! As a Saints fan, I cheered him on and didn't pay much attention to all the negative press he received when he was with the Giants. I was willing to believe that working with a class act like Drew Brees would help him to mature. It seems that I was mistaken. He comes across as ungrateful, and unwilling to own up to the fact that the only person responsible for his exit from New Orleans was himself. He's talented, yes, but his wild years of drinking and partying cost him. Had he taken better care of himself physically, he may have lasted longer in New Orleans. Period.

Posted by: saintfleur | Oct 6, 2011 4:24:04 PM

Shockey and Kellen Winslow need to grow up...Miami Hurricane divas....

Posted by: Dave Kempert | Oct 6, 2011 4:31:36 PM

Shockey = Drunk Poser.... Once upon a time he was a good player but this Siants fan knows we were better when he wasn't on the field! Graham is ten times better than Shockey ever was - sure I am a trolling on another city's site to talk trash about him but who cares - I am soooooo glad that punk is out of my town!

Posted by: ShockeyBrawlVictim | Oct 6, 2011 4:49:29 PM

I hope Shockey is cleared to play because we need all of the veteran bodies we can to throw at their aggressive defense.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Oct 6, 2011 4:59:02 PM

Shat yer piehole Tatooboy. You know the deal. You are permanently injured with fibula damage and you just got lucky with the TE double up with Olsen to help out the inaccurate weak armed Sham Newton.

Word is the other teams are cutting Sham some slack to help him out get big yard games but making sure they win the game.
Shockey will get banged and go out soon. Time to give up the ghost & hang up the tatto needle.

Posted by: tattoo parlor | Oct 6, 2011 5:46:38 PM

Shockey,I hope you stick it to the ex bag headed Aints Sunday. Maybe it will shut up these trolling, inbred Cajuns that are trying to give you a hard time with their comments.

Posted by: Black--Panther | Oct 6, 2011 6:44:27 PM