« Third-quarter blog: Panthers 21, Vikings 21 | Main | VIDEO: Recapping the loss to Minnesota »

October 30, 2011

Vikings 24, Panthers 21

The Minnesota Vikings survived a late missed field goal Carolina's Olindo Mare and beat the Panthers 24-21 at Bank of America Stadium on Sunday.

Mare missed the 31-yard attempt wide the the left with 29 seconds remaining after the Panthers (2-6) had driven from their 24 to the Vikings 13.

Minnesota (2-6) had taken the lead on a 31-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell with 2:43 remaining.

The Vikings rallied from a 21-14 deficit, tying the score late in the third quarter on a 9-yard run by Adrian Peterson.

The Panthers, who have a bye this week, had taken the lead earlier with 3:53 left in the third quarter on a 22-yard touchdown pass from Cam Newton to Steve Smith.

After Longwell's field goal, the Panthers drove 63 yards -- getting a key third-down conversion on a 44-yard pass from Newton to Brandon LaFell. The Panthers appeared to have the ball inside the 5 with 42 seconds left on a Newton run, but the play was called back by a holding call on Smith.

Newton came back with a 5-yard pass to Smith, which set up Mare's field-goal attempt. It was Mare's second miss of the season from 30-14 yards (he's made 13).

"Everything was routine," said Mare, in his first season with the Panthers after they cut long-time kicker John Kasay in the preseason. "I thought I hit it well and as wel all know, it wasn't hit well. I didn't do my job. It's one of the things we all talk about; everybody take care of their own job."

Newton completed 22 of 35 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns and wasn't intercepted. Christian Ponder, the Vikings rookie quarterback, was 18 of 28 for 236 yards and an interception.

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, the NFL's leading rusher, was held to 86 yards on 21 carries and a touchdown (he also caught a touchdown pass). But Peterson 72 of those yards in the second half, when the Panthers defense had trouble contining him.

The Panthers play again Nov. 13 at home against Tennessee. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on October 30, 2011 at 04:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

I don't care what they say. Something has to be done about the officials are having blowing games for us also. This is terrible. Been happening all season and something needs to be done about it.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 30, 2011 4:21:27 PM

I totally agree. That wasn't a hold and that penalty was big because we would have been on the 3 yardline. Touch Down all day baby if it wasn't for that dumb holding call! As far as Mare missing that kick.............. I believe the high snap had something to do with it. Buutttt he should have made it still.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 30, 2011 4:27:44 PM

No excuses, we have to start winning these close games. Like most things the result of close games tends to even out over time, so maybe we'll win all the close ones next year like we did in our Super Bowl season. That doesn't make these losses any easier, though. Pretty ridiculous to have had a 4th quarter lead in all 8 games and be 2-6.

Posted by: DB | Oct 30, 2011 4:33:47 PM

Scratch that, we never had a 4th quarter lead against Green Bay or Chicago, but we were right in both of those games til the end. Still, 4th quarter leads in 6 out of 8 games and all 8 were competitive. We really could have 5 or 6 wins if we knew how to finish games.

Posted by: DB | Oct 30, 2011 4:39:26 PM

That was a very tough game. It should not have come down to the field goal at the end. The panthers just continue to find ways to lose. I understand they are young but it's difficult to have both sides of the coin. They are electric for 45 minutes of each game and a bad football team for the other 15 and that is just enough to come up short. The holding call on Smith was very tough to understand. The 3 3 and outs in the 3rd can not be over looked. Those are all oppurtunites to have taken a straggle hold on the time of possesion and momentum of the game. I really though this team was going to be 4-5 after the Tennessee game. Instead we sit at 2-6 after 8 weeks and its hard to remember all the "what ifs" in the first 8. Gotta push on, but for fans this game meant a lot and the crew could'nt get it done.

Posted by: Alex Schmid | Oct 30, 2011 4:40:03 PM

vikings are awful. if we cant beat them at home then what does that make the Panthers??

Posted by: Bababooey | Oct 30, 2011 4:52:22 PM

These slobs. Don't blame this garbage on the officials. Start with the # 1 draft pick and work down.

Posted by: DougDoo | Oct 30, 2011 5:26:27 PM

And Meanwhile KASAY is still doing his JOB as he should. GREAT CALL Jerry & Marty. PLEASE SOMEONE BUY THIS TEAM THAT CARES.

Posted by: ASHAMED | Oct 30, 2011 6:12:40 PM

And isn't it obvious that the officials are PAID? Clearly there was NO hold. If the NBA has corrupt officials what makes anyone think the NFL officials aren't JUST as corrupt? Come On, we can't beat the other team AND cheating Refs.

Posted by: ASHAMED | Oct 30, 2011 6:14:49 PM

"Captain Obvious" interview at 6 o'clock

They could have stopped the tape after he shrugged his shoulders to start off the interview and let us know how he really feels......reading the body language this is what his inside voice was saying "Well you know, I get paid millions to kick a ball, some I make, some I don't. You know, you fans make little but pay a lot to see if I make them or not, you know, and it didn't work out this time. I'll go on and make millions while, you know, you will go on make hardly nothing but will continue to pay big bucks to see if I make the next one. You know, I'll pretend to act like this bothers me just like you will pretend we can win these close games and keep paying money to come see if I make the next one, you know. Now please go so I can take my shower and live my humble life as a lowly kicker. Oh and by the way, your hero CAM should never had put me in this positon, you know. Didn't ya'll learn before not to put a game on the kicker's leg....like during a SuperBowl or something?"

Posted by: TheTruth | Oct 30, 2011 6:46:28 PM

I really have to say this just tell you Carolina is what they are a team that has not learn how to be great and win. I blame the coaches for not getting this team better week to week and learning from the pass. Also if I am Ron i will watch plenty of tape find out who playing hard and making plays and give it to the players who's not aldo I would have a team meeting and get it thru the players and coaches every person in that Organzation head how to have a killer instict and how to finish if that mean watching the Pats and Packers go ahead this team too young message is too old . It seem to not effect the Bengals and 49ers who both have young teams And one a Rookie coach. So if the Panther want the ref respect step up and make play on the O,D,ST or keep taking heart breaking loss. Time for The Carolina Panthers to Get W and Finish

Posted by: My Point | Oct 30, 2011 7:34:41 PM

So glad AE was able to help again today.... Come all you defenders. Tell us all again how it was Fox's fault, and now the blockers fault. Tell us how it's not his fault, and how great he is. At least he caught the ball today, unlike our kick returner. Why can't AE return kicks again?

Posted by: Phillip | Oct 30, 2011 8:18:30 PM

who intercepted ponder? The only Vikes turnover was that epic rip away that captain had from percy harvin

Posted by: panthers4life | Oct 30, 2011 8:28:17 PM

This was a tough lost...The Panthers played good until the last quarter. We should have ran the ball a bit more when we had the lead. Stewart and Williams were doing pretty good. I question the play calling at times, but aye, have to take the positive and move on.

We should still win 4 or 5 more games and get good draft picks for next year's playoff squad!

Posted by: T-Mac | Oct 30, 2011 11:32:32 PM

The players and coaches can't say a lot about all those bad calls that have either been going against the Panthers,or else just not called on the other team because they will be fined.
The Charlotte Observer needs to do so stat checking and write some articles about these bias actions and hopefully that will cause the NFL to put some heat on the bad penalty call situation.

Posted by: Black--Panther | Oct 31, 2011 2:06:30 AM

just to add fuel to the fire: What is up with the Shockey Offensive Pass Interferance call? I think it is just because he is a bad a**, that these weak DBs take a seat whenever Shockey even bumps them. This in not the first time Shock has gotten one of these calls. Total BS.

Posted by: JD | Oct 31, 2011 9:43:31 AM