« VIDEO: Panthers come home, finally | Main | Jordan Gross questionable with ankle injury »

December 08, 2011

Rivera on Cam comments: 'There is no issue'

While recent comments by Panthers quarterback Cam Newton may have caused a stir among some, what Newton said didn't bother head coach Ron Rivera.

"To me, the thing I like about it more than anything is it's important, it really is," Rivera said. "It's the old saying that if you didn't put your heart into it, it wouldn't hurt. He does. He puts everything into it.

"To me, there is no issue. I still struggle when I hear people talking about the stuff with that and the towel and that stuff, it doesn't make sense to me."

Rivera said he didn't hear Newton say some players were more willing to accept losing than the rookie from Auburn.

"I didn't hear any of that," Rivera said. "Cam's approach to everything is 100 percent. You have to understand who he is. He is a young man that just doesn't like to lose."

During an interview with ESPN the Magazine, Newton spoke about his desire to win and his frustration with losing.

"What happens when you take a lion out of the safari and try to take him to your place of residence and make him a house pet? ... It ain't going to happen," Newton said in the interview.

"That's the type of person that I am. I'm that lion. The house that I'm in is somewhat of a tarnished house where losing is accepted. But I'm trying to change that, whether I' m going to have to turn that house into a safari or I'm just going to have to get out of that house.

"I'm not saying I'm trying to leave this place. I'm just trying to get everybody on my level."

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 8, 2011 at 03:34 PM | Permalink

This arrogant SOB needs to learn some humility. What a piece of garbage!!

Posted by: F-TOM | Dec 8, 2011 3:48:24 PM

Pot, meet kettle.

Hey, I'm pretty sure they have reading comprehension classes available at CPCC. Avail yourself of one immediately!

Posted by: JMix | Dec 8, 2011 3:56:33 PM

Well what exactly is Carolina's record over the past 44 games?

Seems to me Cam's onto something here.....

Posted by: Cam's Right | Dec 8, 2011 4:01:11 PM

I just don't get the uproar over his comments. The best NFL players in history shared the same zest for winning and I commend him for constantly pushing his teammates to not settle for the status quo. Isn't this the type of quarterback we want in Charlotte? The kind that just wants to make us a Superbowl contender year in and year out? I sure hope so.

Posted by: Fool | Dec 8, 2011 4:02:40 PM

Riiiight. Because building a team with passive-aggressive, everyone's okay, let-me-play-down-to-your-level, group-hugging, church-mice types will take the Panthers to the Superbowl.
F-TOM: If you want a team with a leader that sings Kum-ba-ya in lieu of a killer instinct, then root for the Cowboys.

Posted by: Tate | Dec 8, 2011 4:04:20 PM

Maybe F-Tom was just talking to himself?

Posted by: John - Harrisburg, NC | Dec 8, 2011 4:13:39 PM

I admit I thought it was a huge mistake to draft Cam, but with each passing week, I feel more and more like a fool. This kid GENUINELY wants to win, it reminds me of Jordan, he was called egotistical too. For too long mediocrity has been accepted here, in 17 years never even had back-to-back winning seasons. Look at the Colts with Manning before this year, he had that desire to win too. Cam will make this entire team consistently better and WILL lead us to a championship(s), just wait...

Posted by: You Can't Handle The Truth | Dec 8, 2011 4:20:51 PM

For those saying his comments were arrogant. Please actually watch the video. There's a fine line between passion driven confidence and simple arrogance. Compare to Peppers - who made similar comments thru the years. Peppers was aloof and arrogant. If you actually watch the interview you'll see what I'm talking about.

Posted by: WildBill | Dec 8, 2011 4:25:37 PM

How can anyone be upset about this? Isn't this what you want in your QB? Don't you want your leader to hate losing and love winning? It makes me so fired up (in a good way) whenvi heat Cam talk this way.

Posted by: jared | Dec 8, 2011 4:27:11 PM

Cam Newton wants to win and has the heart of a warrior. One has to love it.

Posted by: Black--Panther | Dec 8, 2011 4:41:50 PM

Bottom line? LET'S TURN CAROLINA INTO A SAFARI! We should make signs and take them to the game on Sunday - a Carolina Safari! Why not have some fun with it and support the team? He's exceeded beyond anybody's expectations but his own; let's support him and the Panthers.

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 8, 2011 4:50:37 PM

Upset about it? This is what leaders do. I think he screwed up the metaphor, and ended up backtracking,but I got what he was saying. I haven't been a Cam fan, but this actually had me cheering for him. This was leadership. Didn't call anyone out. Called everyone out.

Just wish that whiner Steve Smith would show some.

Posted by: Chaz | Dec 8, 2011 4:55:04 PM

Cam may not be the most eloquent speaker in the NFL; I'm not sure he even meant his comments to come out the way they did. But he certainly wants to be the best QB ever and the concerns over his ability to be an NFL QB and his work ethic look laughable now. He has the tools, the desire and the charisma...go get it done, Cam, and don't worry about your critics. Win the Panthers a Super Bowl.

Posted by: PantherDan | Dec 8, 2011 5:01:06 PM

show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser! This is his team and will always be his team! If your not here to win then leave! He doesn't need a captains C on his jersey! The entire team knows who is the captain!

Posted by: joe cool | Dec 8, 2011 5:02:15 PM

Why would any logical person be upset about his comments? Are they false?

Posted by: Mike P | Dec 8, 2011 5:06:08 PM

Are you kidding F-Tom? Sounds like you need to take some humility lessons. This guys is the best thing to happen to Charlotte sports since I can remember. I cant stand people like you. Go find something else to do.

Posted by: Mike Glazier | Dec 8, 2011 5:17:15 PM

The kid likes to talk, but dang if he can't back it up. I wasn't in favor of drafting him, but I've gladly admitted my mistake. Now, it's time for Hurney to put the pieces around him to make this team a force.

Posted by: TP | Dec 8, 2011 5:19:27 PM

I think Cam meant to say "savanna" (where lions live & hunt) as opposed to "safari", which makes no sense in context. Did it twice. Also said "pinnacle" when he probably meant "pedestal" earlier in the interview. No biggie. College was just a brief stop Cam passed through on his way to pro football. He'll likely improve his word skills as he improves at quarterbacking - both require lots of practice reps.

Posted by: Freddy | Dec 8, 2011 5:22:20 PM

"We're going to win... I Guarantee it!" *Joe Namath*

"You better pick me #1 or I'm gonna kick your but for the next 10 years" *Peyton Manning.

"That guy is gone... I am the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers and the fans better accept it" *Aaron Rodgers*

History is littered with great quarterbacks saying things that bothered other people in the spirit of confidence and competition...SHORT STORY SHORTER...GET OVER IT!

Posted by: Astar1964 | Dec 8, 2011 5:36:05 PM

I am loving this guy more and more every day! Cam will lead us to the promised land. Get on the bandwagon or get out of town. It will probably take two more years to build the surrounding cast needed-then look out!

Posted by: SC ken | Dec 8, 2011 5:46:18 PM

It's only a matter of time before steve smith punches him when he isn't looking.

Posted by: todd | Dec 8, 2011 5:49:39 PM

I would say that any of his teammates who are offended by this need to go public and demand to be traded. Like one commenter said, show me a gracious loser and I'll show you a loser.

Posted by: Tomhere | Dec 8, 2011 5:52:51 PM

@Chaz :"I just wish that whiner Steve Smith would show some.."

Maybe you haven't been paying enough attention Chas. But Smith was one of the more passionate competitors on this team before Cam arrived. Not sure why you called Smith out.

Posted by: D | Dec 8, 2011 6:12:00 PM

Cam is right. The Panthers have gotten too good at being bad. Cam is the kind of guy who could change all that.

However, it is a bit disturbing to see how little humility and appreciation he seems to have for the Panthers franchise. They took a huge gamble on this guy, and got blasted by a lot of people for drafting him.

Posted by: SkinsFanAgain | Dec 8, 2011 6:23:57 PM

this cam gets it get on board or get the he.. out

Posted by: sam | Dec 8, 2011 6:41:56 PM