« Panthers get a taste of Creamsicles at Tampa | Main | Panthers prepping to face a QB named Josh on Sunday »

December 02, 2011

Steve Grogan surpised his record has stood

Steve Grogan hasn't had a chance to watch Cam Newton play much this season, except for snippets on the Sunday highlight shows.

Many of those clips have been of Newton running for touchdowns.

The Panthers' rookie QB has 10 rushing touchdowns through the first 11 games. With three more, he will break Grogan's record for quarterbacks – a mark that has stood for 35 years.

Grogan, who was in his second season of a 16-year career with New England in 1976, said he's surprised his record has lasted as long as it has.

“I always though Michael Vick would be the guy to break that record, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and was out of football for a while,” Grogan said today from his sporting goods business in Massachusetts. “Randall Cunningham was a great runner, but never scored many touchdowns.”

Newton said this week he was not familiar with Grogan, who retired in 1990 when Newton was 1.

Grogan said he's glad the Carolina coaches are willing to let Newton run near the goal line.

“I saw him play a lot in college,” Grogan said. “He's a tremendous athlete that's picked up the pro game very quickly and is doing a great job.”

(Look for more from Grogan and Newton in Sunday's editions of the Observer.)

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM | Permalink

Comments

Why don't you write about the panthers? If i had the level of access and salary you had, I would be putting out three times as many articles than you and I would be giving information on the Carolina Panthers, not some retired QB who barely watches us play.

You have my dream job and suck at it!
You get paaaaiiid to talk about football!

the unpaid bloggers at catscratchreader.com put up many more and higher quality articles.

Why don't you give us an article about how #11 got a promotion to #2 receiver. Talk about how L.A. has an injury that may have caused the change.

Why don't you talk about the stalling Bucs offense and how we SHOULD excell against them? but you don't...

you but up a crap article about a retired QB who doesn't watch the panthers

Posted by: Mitchell Apple | Dec 2, 2011 3:13:20 PM

Hey mitchy......go f yourself.

Posted by: really? | Dec 2, 2011 5:04:15 PM

Hey, I posted legit comments, not like I was just like "blah blah you suck joe!"

I gave Joe examples of topics he could write about, a website that does write about this stuff, and pointed out they don't get paid and put out things that he should but doesn't.

Not one word on here about Lafell becoming the #2 reciever, not analysis of offense or defensive match-ups. No talk last weeks game or anything of true content.

He posts two small articles for his days pay (200 bucks a day? I dunno, that's roughly 50k a year) and one of them writes about someone who doesn't watch us and we don't care about.

You really care what Steven Grogan thinks about Cam? Have you ever heard of Steven Grogan before this season? Grogan even said he doesn't watch our games. This is a pointless article, I can't believe Joe made $100 to write this.

For $100 I would do a play by play breakdown of an entire games, talk about the coverages and play call and exactly what went write or wrong with the play.

Guess what? they do stuff like that at catscratchreader.com and they don't get paid, but these "professional" here at the observer can't keep up with four bloggers who have day jobs. It's sad, and I'm sure there are alot of people who could do 100x better with the access and pay these guys get.

Posted by: Mitch | Dec 2, 2011 6:44:08 PM

haha, lots of typos, i am at work

Posted by: Mitch | Dec 2, 2011 6:45:55 PM

This is really not that important or interesting, it's not a great stat held by a great QB or such. As many times as Newton ran with the ball in the redzone it would be expected Grogan's rushing TD record would be broken. If DeAngelo or Stewart had the most carries in the redzone this season then they would have many rushing TDs instead of Newton. I'd be more impressed if Newton was breaking a record in passing TDs and let DeAngelo and Stewart get the rushing TDs like they're suppose to do and paid to do.

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Dec 2, 2011 8:39:37 PM

This is an article about the Panthers. It is about Newton breaking an nfl record. Not just a rookie record. You people give Panthers fans a bad name.

Posted by: Why You Cry? | Dec 2, 2011 9:53:32 PM

I couldn't agree more! The "beat writers" have all the access the people that run and contribute to CSR don't and yet the continually put up crap like this. I'm sorry, but it's sad when bloggers who don't get paid or have direct access to the team are able to have info first and write content that is far superior. And don't get me started on Darin Gantt, who despite no longer "covering" the Panthers still manages to me more in the loop than the guys who's job it is to be.

Posted by: CSRReader | Dec 2, 2011 11:43:30 PM

lol.... I knew who Grogan was, but only because I now live in NH and he does a weekly bit on a local radio show called "Grogan's Grade" where he ranks the Patriots' units. He IS widely known in this region, just as many players are to their respective regions.

Having said that, I think it is pretty standard practice for someone to get the reaction of a current record-holder, particularly anything to do with yardage or scoring. It might be more suited to a wider article about Newton's many accomplishments this year and other records he has an opportunity to challenge as opposed to a singular article that (obviously) could be interpreted as an insult to our fan base by pointing out that the current record-holder couldn't be bothered to pay attention to his own record or the player trying to break it, but I can certainly understand why the information was sought in the first place.

Posted by: Whistler225 | Dec 3, 2011 8:15:15 AM

I am interested, because I like it when Panthers break records, any records. That said, Mitch's main point is correct. These writers could give us more. I lived in DC and the WP has more coverage of the Skins in the off season than the CO does in season

Posted by: Cal | Dec 3, 2011 9:09:49 AM

if the Panthers had a clear cut #2 receiver i am sure Newton probably would break the td record but now that LaFell is finally getting a chance i expect the td passing production to go up. Cant wait for Gettis to get back on the field.

a great write would be about Gettis. since his injury i dont think anybody has mentioned what he has been doing to recover.

Posted by: Mr CatWalker | Dec 3, 2011 11:52:52 AM

Hey crybaby mitchel (probably should have been named michelle since obviously the best part of you ran down your daddy's leg) how about if you don't like the coverage here then don't come to this site and read the so called "garbage" you complain about. You are truly pathetic. Your ranting does nothing but strenghthen the fact that you are a true a$$ clown. Go to your beloved catscratchreader.com, enjoy yourself, and effff off LOSER. Mommy is calling you for dinner......

Posted by: mitch is a douchebag | Dec 3, 2011 7:31:31 PM

I like hearing what Grogan thinks, but the depth of questions was lacking. How did he run for 12 TD's, what's the most he had in a season after that? Did he get hit hard doing it? This seems like a repost of an AP story, not a phone conversation from the writers.

It's not the subject, like a story about Fox or Delhomme, it's the lack of substance that drives us readers crazy. If the coverage was better stories like these would be the cherry on top, instead of a single cherry on an empty plate.

I don't think these guys make big money as writers, since newspapers don't make as much as they used to. It's still a valid point. I write more in depth stuff for fun on these boards. Give me a press pass and no money and I would run circles around these guys. They write like they are posting a long tweet.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Dec 4, 2011 12:33:44 PM