« Cam Newton is Pro Bowl-bound | Main | Could Russell Wilson back up Cam Newton? »

January 24, 2012

Captain Munnerlyn "sick of" talk Panthers need a corner

MOBILE, Ala. – There was an impromptu defensive staff meeting for the Carolina Panthers today following the early Senior Bowl practice at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, linebackers coach Warren Belin and new secondary coach Steve Wilks spent about 15 minutes visiting with cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who lives in Mobile in the offseason.

It was Munnerlyn's first opportunity to meet Wilks, the Charlotte native who was hired last week from San Diego in what amounted to a trade with the Chargers. Former Panthers defensive backs coach Ron Meeks is taking Wilks' spot in San Diego.

Wilks, who worked with Ron Rivera in Chicago and San Diego, said he was glad to be joining a “great organization” while returning to his hometown, where all his family still lives.

“To come back home is really just the icing on the cake. It's definitely great,” said Wilks, who graduated from West Charlotte in 1988. “I have a lot of love and passion for the city of Charlotte, being born and raised there.”

Some draft analysts believe the Panthers could take a cornerback with their first-round pick. Wilks said he likes the determination of the diminutive Munnerlyn, who started the first 14 games last season before injuring his hamstring.

“Just seeing him on film, I love the way he plays with the passion and heart,” Wilks said. “Those are the kind of guys I love being around.”

Munnerlyn said he's tired of hearing about how the Panthers need another corner.

“I'm sick of it. But if they do, the cornerback they draft has a rude awakening coming. I'm not just going to give you my position,” Munnerlyn said.

“Or if they try to push him in front of me, I'm going to make some plays to make him go sit down. I'm a competitor. Everyone knows I'm going to compete.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM | Permalink

Comments

Sorry "Captain", your team needs a CB. What you lack in size you don't make up in speed ala Darrell Green. We know you have heart.

Posted by: Panther Fan | Jan 24, 2012 2:52:46 PM

Captain, you must not have watched a single piece of game film. Why don't you look at which DB gave up the most big plays in the passing game this year for the Panthers. At least you are number 1 in something.

Posted by: Season Ticket Holder | Jan 24, 2012 2:57:55 PM

And just to prove a point...

Hey Captain, congratualtions, QBs are near perfect when throwing to you. You get to share the top with the likes of Quentin Jammer. Wow.

And here are the highest (and worst) 10 ratings: (It’s probably best for any Quentin Jammer fans to turn away)

Rank Name Team NFL Rating
1 Quentin Jammer SD 129.9
2 Captain Munnerlyn CAR 126.9

And you also allowed 74% of passes to be completed when thrown your way. Gamble only allowewd 45%.

Rank Name Team TA Rec % Ct
66 Captain Munnerlyn CAR 61 45 73.8

Posted by: Season Ticket Holder | Jan 24, 2012 3:02:54 PM

if you've got the passion and don't get the job done....you still don't get the job done. reminds me a situation with my ex-wife.

Posted by: Fletch! | Jan 24, 2012 3:31:13 PM

Captain is much better suited as a nickel corner covering the smaller but speedy "possession" receivers.

Posted by: Nosebleed Fan | Jan 24, 2012 3:42:53 PM

So you are gonna have something to show if they try to put the guy in front of you? You're going to make plays?? IF you had been making plays all along, we wouldn't be talking about needing another corner, dope! Face it, you are too small to cover 6-4 receivers. Not fast enough to cover speedy receivers. You have heart, yes. Relax, and make plays as the nickle guy.

Posted by: DaveT | Jan 24, 2012 4:05:59 PM

I love the passion but passion alone doesn't win games. Very talented DB but when passing defense ranks in the bottom of the league, there has to be changes. It wasn't all coaching. If the organization felt it was in their best interest to replace Meeks, the same sentiment can be had for DB's. Earn your spot though...earn your spot!

Posted by: Kev03_ | Jan 24, 2012 4:12:12 PM

We'll see next year. It ain't like we got a lot of pressure on the QB.Go for the best D player available(or Blackmond). If Coples is there take him.We need a STUD DT badly.I think the guy from Penn. State would be a good pick up too.

Posted by: bryant80 | Jan 24, 2012 4:40:01 PM

Been a Captain supporter since his days at USC. I was very excited when we drafted him. Even thought he deserved to start this year. Been eating crow ever since. Unfortunately, I don't even know if he can play nickle. He lined up there some this year and got burnt there as well. He's great at special teams though!

Posted by: Joel | Jan 24, 2012 4:40:36 PM

Wow... thanks for that article season ticket holder. For one, really happy I can consider Gamble a shutdown corner... on the other feel bad for Captain

Posted by: Gret | Jan 24, 2012 4:54:18 PM

Everybody on this chain has it right, we appreciate the passion Captain, we need you but you're not a starting CB. Come in and play hard at the nickel and special teams. I think we need a starting CB opposite Gamble but I still think we may have that guy in Brandon Hogan. Not saying we don't look at a veteran as insurance but I think Hogan needs a long hard look.

Posted by: Joseph | Jan 24, 2012 6:19:03 PM

season ticket holder.....just wanted to point out that while he's among the worst in completion % allowed.......he's also nowhere near as bad off yardage wise. he gives up a ton of short passes in which he makes the tackle. he is a very solid tackling corner.

the guy is no question an nfl player. obviously, we would be better off if we had a corner that was even better than gamble and munnerlyn was an insane nickel/dime guy that plays a ton of special teams (including returns).

but you have to keep in mind that the pass defense is not what killed us this year. when it did was due to the biproduct of not being able to stop the run. getting everybody back healthy and more experienced alone is a huge improvement. adding hogan to the mix is a huge improvement.

the pick could go any number of ways. WR, right tackle, DT, Linebacker, Corner. we have needs at a lot of positions but we also have a lot of positions solidified.

I actually think WR is low priority if we're bringing shockey or barnridge back. Gettis and Lafell will do fine and Nanee isn't a difference maker but he's serviceable. Olsen is clearly enough of a threat to keep attention of smith. As is newton's legs.

tackle would be priority 1 but khalil will be gone and there will be better players at other positions than reiff. and bell did play well enough as a rookie to warrant waiting on this. especially getting schwartz back. coples is an interesting prospect as is kirkpatrick.

either way, the team is looking good for the future and fans can't complain about that.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 24, 2012 6:37:02 PM

Captain can't cover. It's proven. We need an upgrade badly.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 24, 2012 6:50:54 PM

Nickel player only and perhaps special teams.

Posted by: landmerchant | Jan 24, 2012 7:05:47 PM

Yea, I agree, Brandon Hogan is fast enough. We have also been unable to get pressure on the Quarterback.. I think Applewhite really helped out as well. I think that the defense played a lot better towards the end, but with some maturity in our young D and at least one of the two star linebackers coming back we will be good. I'm still thinking a receiver in the first round is the place to go. With a receiver, the defense may never see the field very much for the next ten years.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 24, 2012 7:18:54 PM

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 24, 2012 7:18:58 PM

The day's of 5'9"/10 CB's is history

Posted by: John Fox | Jan 24, 2012 7:48:55 PM

We don't need 1 player on offense when were in the bottom 4 in defense ,and 7th best on offense...What's to know here!

Posted by: Rar Carruth | Jan 24, 2012 7:51:29 PM

Well Capt. it appears you have "short man's" syndrome ,and btw us fans are tired of you letting the other team's WR's gobble up the yard's...So welcome tired of club!...This team needs a DT/DE/CB/LB ,and depth that can play in the NFL not McClain and Fua getting thrown around again ,not to mention the lack of pass rushers - CJ!

Posted by: Cam's Entourage | Jan 24, 2012 7:58:42 PM

I was reading that website STH posted up there and C Gamble was #4 in lowest completion percentage allowed. He was behind D. Revis, Ike Taylor and Brent Grimes. And QB ratings when throwing at Gamble was 53.3, which was good enough for third behind Revis and Asante Samuel. That is some pretty good stats. I thought he played pretty good this year, prob one of his best even without a high INT count. This is my opinion for this year, of course, and not the I want to play 20 yards off the receiver years.
here is the link again.

Posted by: Gut | Jan 24, 2012 10:03:10 PM

Gamble + Captain as starting corners is porous, with two good but not great players. A top rookie corner + Gamble + Captain in the slot is a top five defensive backfield.

Posted by: Bull City Dog | Jan 25, 2012 12:57:54 AM

some of you go out of your way to put Captain down. for what? because you want to show your Google savy? get over yourself. why in the great googly moogly universe do you think he cares what you "researched"? he's the starting CB until he gets beat. then we have depth. let it go.

Posted by: Mexoplex | Jan 25, 2012 8:46:00 AM

I like Captain. He can improve and likely will, but it still wouldn't be bad to get another CB if we want quick results on defensive improvement. But hey, if that pushes competition then that's a good thing. One more good CB and the Panthers will have great depth at that position with Butler and Hogan in the mix as well. And in the NFCS, nickle and dime packages will be needed often enough that they'll all get plenty of playing time.
But honestly, I'd rather see them try and trade back and draft a safety, Barron, in the back of the 1st.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 25, 2012 9:25:35 AM

I will make this comment. This was his 1st season starting. We finished the season with D-Linemen that were watching the Panthers play on TV at the beginning of the season. I think Hogan should be ready by the summer. A year and a half removed from knee surgery should be plenty of time for him. I would say if Claiborne or Kirpatrick are available I would seriously have to try. We shall see. He will be a Panther and by default the start but I would have him on a very VERY short leash.

Posted by: davethepanther | Jan 25, 2012 9:58:05 AM

@ Bull City Dog, first off, I was not showing off my "google" skills. I've been a season ticket holder since day 1 and let me tell you, Captain couldn't defend a pass thrown to a full back. He gave up the most big plays this year and the stats proved it. I wanted to make sure I had the information to back it up instead of blowing smoke like most of the people here tend to do. The website link is just the facts that back up the clear lack of coverage skills Captain has. END OF STORY.

Posted by: Season Ticket Holder | Jan 25, 2012 12:09:41 PM