« Updated: Panthers give Jags OK to talk to Chudzinski | Main | Rivera's favorite memories from his first season »

January 02, 2012

Smith taking teammates to Hawaii

The Panthers' receivers will be well represented in Hawaii.

Veteran wideout Steve Smith, who earned his fifth Pro Bowl berth last week, surprised the team's receivers by telling him he was paying for them to come to Honolulu with him. Smith, who finished fifth in the league with 1,394 receiving yards, said his teammates did not believe him initially.

“They kind of looked at each other, and I said, 'I'm serious,'” Smith said. “Once they got the call from my travel agent, they kind of knew it was for real.”

Smith surpassed Mushin Muhammad this season as the franchise leader in receptions (699) and receiving yards (10,278). But he said his success was a group effort.

“All those guys ran routes to get me open. At times they took it for the team and ran some clear-out routes for me,” Smith said. “For me to sit here and say I did it on my own and all that stuff, it's unfair. This is an opportunity for me to thank them and enjoy as a group the success that we all played a part in.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 2, 2012 at 06:00 PM | Permalink

Comments

I love this guy. Not only is he a warrior and a family man, he is also a class act as evidenced by this move.

Posted by: Owen | Jan 2, 2012 6:40:01 PM

I love him-but for different reasons. This is a really classy thing done by a man with a bad reputation. I guess maturity was all he needed.

Posted by: steve | Jan 2, 2012 6:53:09 PM

Reputation is about history. Let's focus on where he is now. Good guy, playing well, and appreciating those he plays with.

EVERYONE has a right to change and Smitty has.

Posted by: John - Harrisburg, NC | Jan 2, 2012 7:17:58 PM

What a classy move! Congratulations to him, and all the receivers. It'll be a fun trip and a great learning experience for all of them. Have fun!

Posted by: Melissa | Jan 2, 2012 7:33:44 PM

Love it! Let's party! No wives allowed clause in effect!

Posted by: john holmes | Jan 2, 2012 8:41:11 PM

Smitty for President.

Posted by: Zon | Jan 2, 2012 9:06:51 PM

Steve's heart has always been in the right place. He's had issues with impulsive behavior in the past, and hopefully that's all behind him, but whenever he's had time to think and consider, he's always ended up doing the right thing.

Posted by: Authority | Jan 2, 2012 9:25:19 PM

This is a cool move by smitty UNLESS this includes bringing Armanti Edwards with them. He doesn't deserve to go anywhere but the waiver wire.

Posted by: rick | Jan 2, 2012 10:46:21 PM

No reason to get on Armanti's case. Grow up.

Posted by: JL | Jan 2, 2012 10:53:27 PM

RICK 10:46pm is the only loser around here. We should trade him to Tampa for a broken beer bottle and a stale bag of chips. Tampa would not go for that deal though, because that would be a bad deal for them!

Posted by: mikey | Jan 2, 2012 11:10:37 PM

oh come on. i cant stand the haters but rick is right on this one.

Posted by: ryan o | Jan 3, 2012 3:21:28 AM

I would like to know what Smith was saying to Payton on Sunday. Did anyone read his lips?

Posted by: Ben | Jan 3, 2012 4:36:56 AM

PR stunt time. Smith trying to make amends for his typical punkazz antics in a TOTAL AZZKICKING BLOWOUT and like these overpaid millionaires and banana boy couldnt afford their own tickets?

Fatboy shorty Smith has gained 50 lbs of flab & tried to fight the entire Saints team (on tv with cops everywhere of course)was funny as hell. Harper would kill him and he knows it. He dared not say a word to him.

Payton would stomp Smith a new one too if he had too.

6-10 next to last place finish was a success for a bunch of losers. Just a raunchy classless bunch of losers with a scammer QB pretender.

2-14 in 2012 maybe ...

Posted by: Saints Kicked Yo Azz | Jan 3, 2012 6:26:12 AM

Nice move by Smitty. I also hope he does take AE with the group to Hawaii, it might be his last nice trip before bagging groceries.

Posted by: Curry | Jan 3, 2012 8:17:53 AM

I wish I had the free time to troll the newspapers of every team the Panthers played.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 3, 2012 8:20:40 AM

Get this man a statue already. 5,000 more yards and dude is top 5 all time. Its happening. #thingsthatwouldhavealreadyhappenedifjimmyclausenwereneverborn.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 3, 2012 8:23:19 AM

smitty's tryin to teach these young guys a thing or too... Which includes talking trash to any and every opponet lol

Posted by: zach | Jan 3, 2012 8:57:23 AM

Maybe they can stay a Kealoha's parents' house.

Posted by: wes.mantooth | Jan 3, 2012 9:56:43 AM

Dang. If they told Smitty to haul ass he'd have to make at least 8 or 9 trips. His ass size had tripled. Looks bad as Uncle Fester Barkley. That young'uns fatter'n porky pig. What size drawers does he wear now? 50?

Posted by: fred flintstone | Jan 3, 2012 11:58:29 AM

If Armanti Edwards is allowed to go then Cam Newton should too. And Richie Brockel.
Both are more effective, competent receivers than joke Armanti Edwards and that's really not saying much.

Posted by: Ron | Jan 3, 2012 12:26:51 PM

I'm not surprised at all by this. Smitty has always done this kind of stuff. A hard man (on the outside) with a kind heart (on the inside).

Posted by: PantherD | Jan 3, 2012 12:33:02 PM

To Saint kicked Steve does not need the publicity he is loved and respected in Carolina First I love New Orleans my mother was from there have/had family there, I went to HS there was a Purple Knight( people in N.O know what that is)yes the Saints beat our azz but things will not be the same next year enjoy it while you can I expected better comments from Saint fans don't understand why you are here Steve is more of a warrior than you will ever know more than a man than you woll ever be. Next year you and yours will fear " When the Panthers come marching in"

Posted by: realnard | Jan 3, 2012 2:50:18 PM

Biting my tongue and ignoring any negative comments!! Good for Smitty! He has always been my favorite Panther and always will be. Like someone said earlier....he is tough on the outside and has a good heart on the inside. He loves to play football and football is his job/career. He takes it very seriously. He has a drive like no other. "Keep Pounding" Steve!!!! :)

Posted by: TruePantherFan | Jan 4, 2012 11:29:50 AM

I don't appreciate anyone who takes a stab at Smith's Maturity!! He has always been a fierce competitor, Family Man and a Mature Leader. Someone who leads more by example, that doesn't make him immature, just because he has some arrogance, don't misconstrue that for immaturity! Stevie is the MAN, DON'T FORGET IT!! A CLASS ACT, AND A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER!!

Posted by: TheDogface | Jan 4, 2012 1:55:09 PM

@ Ben - Are you crazy??? Steve is a beast! I don't see him taking a beating.

Posted by: R | Jan 5, 2012 12:29:56 AM