« Rob Chudzinski will meet with Tampa Bay | Main | Panthers let secondary coach Ron Meeks go »

January 13, 2012

Steve Smith campaign slogan: Four more years

Coming off his best season since 2008, Panthers veteran wideout Steve Smith said he believes he can be effective for another four years.

Smith, who will be 33 in May, is entering the final year of his contract. Having avoided serious injuries throughout his career, the 5-9, 185-pound Smith is optimistic he can keep going.

"I hope I can play four more years at a pretty decent level. I'm not the prototype receiver, so I'm kind of breaking the mold, anyway,” Smith said this week in a phone interview.

“If I keep taking care of my body. I haven't really had any really bad injuries, except for (breaking) my forearm and my ankle. I take a pretty good pounding during the game – many car wrecks – and my body turns over pretty good. I've had aches and pains, but nothing extreme.”

Trent Dilfer, an ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback, thinks Smith has held up physically because of his size.

“The long, linear guys wear out faster than the shorter, compact athletes. Their bodies endure more,” Dilfer said Friday after speaking to the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club at Carmel Country Club. “He has that body stature that leads to sustainability.”

(Look for more from Smith on his Pro Bowl season, why he doesn't like the term, 're-energized,' and his thoughts on Rob Chudzinski's offense in Saturday's editions of the Observer.)

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 13, 2012 at 04:03 PM | Permalink

Comments

We need more WR. Steve hasn't had any help since Muhsin and Clutch left. We won't get anywhere without a good passing game too.

Posted by: Ray | Jan 13, 2012 4:23:25 PM

Four more years!? That, I can live with. Sure am glad he decided to stick around.

Oh yeah, and first in before some nithead complains that he needs to be cut or traded.

Posted by: iamhubby | Jan 13, 2012 4:26:45 PM

Love me some Steve!!!!!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Jan 13, 2012 4:35:57 PM

Listen here iamchubby, not every Panther fan has to share your opinion on Smith. He's a good WR, but he can also be selfish and punkish too and sometimes this nature of his hurts the Panthers. I think anything more than a 2 year contract would be a mistake.

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Jan 13, 2012 4:38:43 PM

Well, he's 33 and just came off of one of his best seasons (maybe 3rd best behind '05 and '08). If Gettis, Lafell or a future draft pick steps up and takes away attention from Smitty he can still be highly productive 4 more years.

Posted by: Adrian | Jan 13, 2012 4:45:52 PM

If he were to sign a 4-year contract the probability of completing that contract isn't certain. Unless it's structured in such a way where it frees cap room as it ages, he'll be in every cap casualty conversation the moment his production declines.

Posted by: Tater | Jan 13, 2012 4:52:56 PM

Smith easily has 4 productive years left in the tank. He and Cam will deliver us a Superb Owl.

Posted by: Mrcat | Jan 13, 2012 4:58:17 PM

Yes, I think Smith has at least 4 years left in him. 1-2 years as a true #1, and 2 years as a slot or #2 receiver.

Posted by: J | Jan 13, 2012 5:01:12 PM

Smith is so full of himself that it is just a matter of days before he starts referring to himself in the third person.

"Breaking the mold," um, no.

He will continue to be selfish me first thug for however long he plays here, dancing like a circus clown on every pass he catches.

Posted by: Haywood | Jan 13, 2012 5:07:24 PM

If he decided he wanted to play 10 more years I would be more than happy to believe he could do it. Hopefully he retires his number as a Panther and we pass a larger than life statue of him every time we walk into the stadium one day. Steve Smith is and will always be my favorite Panther.

Posted by: Denny | Jan 13, 2012 5:07:52 PM

Wonderful athlete and a great competitor. I wish him well

Posted by: joke | Jan 13, 2012 5:17:35 PM

If anyone can, I'm inclined to believe Steve Smith can. I always welcome good players who WANT to be here. Haters, give it a rest.

Posted by: JMix | Jan 13, 2012 5:20:16 PM

Frisbee Catching Pitbull no other WR like him!

Posted by: Sportsdon | Jan 13, 2012 5:36:25 PM

Haywood...speaking of Circus Clowns, where's your red shoes and red nose? Steve Smith is an unbelievable Flanker, and receivers are supposed to be arrogant as Hell! I can tell you never played football or played the WR position, couch potato!
Did Smitty steal your girlfriend or something? Well, clown, I will see you at the Barnum and Bailey Circus coming up. Stay away from the children and watching football.

Posted by: Ndamukong Suh | Jan 13, 2012 6:13:50 PM

Sportsdon, that is funny, I don't care who you are. But accurate as hell. Frisbee Catching Pitbull. No Doubt. Yes I love Cam Newton, D Will and a host of other former and current Panthers but Steve Smith is my favorite also. He plays with such intensity and fire. IMO I could see him going until 40. He will be Carolina's 1st HOFer. Watch and see.

Posted by: davethepanther | Jan 13, 2012 8:11:39 PM

If the team resigns him to 4 more years and he retires as a Panther, they need to put up a statue of him in fron of the stadium as well.

Posted by: Anthony | Jan 13, 2012 9:09:27 PM

@Haywood: How many selfish me first people do you know that take the entire WR group and their families to Hawaii for Pro Bowl Week. Smitty has not been a distraction in that locker room in years. His last mistake was the Ken Lucas thing a few years back and even Lucas moved beyond that. You should too. He's a great WR and an asset to the team.

Posted by: chaos03 | Jan 13, 2012 9:22:18 PM

"Having avoided serious injuries throughout his career"

Did everyone forget that he broke his leg on a monday night game vs green bay and missed the entire season. I believe the team also missed the playoffs that year.

Posted by: pantherfan | Jan 13, 2012 9:24:19 PM

Some of you people know nothing about football. Steve is one of the best WR's in the NFL as you can tell by the stats. A top 5 guy( don't agree? Look at the stats). And if you people haven't noticed, there isn't a single elite WR in history who wasn't selfish. It's part of the position. He's a play maker. Id be worried if he didn't want the ball. Steve is in the top 35 WR'S of all time. Once again, look at the stats/records if you don't believe me. He will win a Super Bowl with the panthers, and of course, Cam Newton. Can and Steve are one of the best Qb, WR duos in history

Posted by: PantherFan44 | Jan 14, 2012 11:00:24 AM

If he plays 4 more years and gets 5000 yards during that stretch, dude should be canton bound. That should put him at or near top 5 all time. Completely do able in this offense with this quarterback. Especially if the next 2 years are big.

I actually take this as bad news assuming he meant he really only wants to plan for 4 more years. He wont be as effective at age 37 but dude will still be able to play barring injuries. Rice played til what? 42?

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 16, 2012 9:42:01 PM

Yall sound so dumb steve haters , ugh throw up on yall. . . Smith got 6 more years, 3 at #1. . . 2 yrs @ #2, theb he ma th loose a step or two n go n da slot. . . Yall cant b panthers, if yall dnt like smith, a panther is fierce. . . .mayb yall buc fans or saints. . . . .get off a hof calibur player

Posted by: King shocka | Jan 21, 2012 9:10:44 PM