« Cam Newton lands Gatorade deal | Main | Cam Newton says he failed at Pro Bowl »

February 02, 2012

Rodney Harrison: Pro Bowl was embarrassing

INDIANAPOLIS

A prominent former NFL coach and ex-player criticized the lackluster play in the Pro Bowl last weekend – a 59-41 win by the AFC that featured the most points in the game's history and a lot of booing from the crowd at Aloha Stadium.

NBC Sports analyst Rodney Harrison, the Patriots safety when they faced the Giants in the Super Bowl four years ago, said he was embarrassed by the effort level from players who were trying to avoid injury.

“I've played in a couple of Pro Bowls. If you don't want to play and you don't want to give a hundred percent, you should sit on the sidelines and allow someone else to get that opportunity,” Harrison said Wednesday. “I was actually embarrassed by some of the players. When I played in the Pro Bowl, we played hard. We played for pride. It’s just ridiculous.”

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy said players' approach to the all-star game has changed for the worse.

“I remember the first one I coached in 1984, and we had (Kenny) Easley and Howie Long, and there were no free passes in that game. The defense came to play, offensive guys knew it. It was like a regular game,” Dungy said. “You just had that competitiveness. I didn't see that the other night, and I do hope that changes, because it can be a great game.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on February 2, 2012 at 08:07 AM | Permalink

Comments

miss your play on the field rodney.

all star games are becoming a disgrace, the end of sports is upon us.

Posted by: charles in charge | Feb 2, 2012 9:22:01 AM

I'm very pro-Newton and think he's going to be great here, but FACT: teams don't win when he turns the ball over. The NFC had that game well in hand until he came in. And we saw it all Panthers season...no Cam turnovers = win, Cam turnovers = loss.

I hope he's fit in some time with a sports psychologist between all that game tape he's watching because his head clearly isn't right and he pouts way too much after INT's.

go Panthers!

Posted by: Ron | Feb 2, 2012 9:34:24 AM

id agre mane they play made stank mad sorry excruse foa game doh

Posted by: Stankonya | Feb 2, 2012 9:41:07 AM

Make no mistake. Harrison and all the rest including Dungy and the local yocals and national media put all their eggs in one basket with the Newton bum and now look like bumbling fumbling idiots trying to cover their ass.

It was no mirage. Newton is not a QB and 2011 was rigged by the NFC who went light on him and gave him the record. Too bad the genies out of the bottle and the whole world saw he is a DUD like you all. It was a GREAT GAME.

BLOWOUT !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: AFC Winners Gave All | Feb 2, 2012 10:00:20 AM

At least Cam was in there trying!

I hope the players, coaches and fans noticed and remember who were the players who treated the game like a joke and NEVER send them to another Pro Bowl.

Posted by: John | Feb 2, 2012 10:39:38 AM

COME ON GUYS ....ITS A FREAKIN ALL-STAR GAME?

Who watches it?
Every All Star game is now a joke and just a drain on the fan to get more money....I think some leagues should ditch the concept...

Posted by: Scott | Feb 2, 2012 11:03:59 AM

The bad game got MUCH worse when Cam came in. GARBAGE is his middle name. At least he lives in Charlotte where 6-10 years are somehow turned into "one of the greatest ever!!!!".

He is not even the best rookie QB this year, let alone the last 5 years, or even in the same sentence as best ever. he is garbage, so are the Panthers.

Posted by: Cat's fan | Feb 2, 2012 12:06:26 PM

Pro Bowl was so bad that I wanted to watch a Bobcats game! That's how bad the Pro Bowl was!

Posted by: joe cool | Feb 2, 2012 1:28:56 PM

As usual, we have some trolls on the post today. As well as some Cam haters! If you don't like what is going on with the Panthers, you have my permission to get the h*ll out of town!

Posted by: dbigcat | Feb 2, 2012 2:26:30 PM

Please, guys, show up at mini camp in the spring and yell all of these things you post to the Panther players as they come and go to practice. Come on, man up. Stop hiding behind your computer and get out there to the practice fields over by the stadium and say all of these things to them in person. I dont think they read the message boards so it would be helpful for you to tell them in person. even maybe they will let you out on the field to see if you can take Cam down a notch or two.

Posted by: Jake McFootball | Feb 2, 2012 5:57:00 PM

Thank you Jake! I really just think we have the most ignorant fan base ever to grace the NFL. This is proof that you don't know the first thing about supporting your team. Honestly we DON'T deserve a team, you stupid yokels just love to hate something or someone even a rookie. According to this fan base, breaking a NFL Passing and Rushing record was rigged. What planet are you living on? What are you smoking? What dimension are you on? If you were to replace Cam Newtons stats with Andrew Luck...I have no questions that our fan base would be jubilant. You do the math.

Posted by: Say What | Feb 3, 2012 8:18:31 PM

As usual on here a bunch of idiotic comments. Don't know why I bother reading them every now and then.

Posted by: young | Feb 4, 2012 4:52:45 PM

It is impossible to compare what happened in that debacle of a Pro Bowl to the outstanding season that this young man just completed! I don't know what Cam Newton has done personally to some of you "Newton Haters" but like it or not he has the potential to become one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play this game. GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Posted by: ktowneaze | Feb 5, 2012 2:09:29 PM