« Saints targeted Cam Newton; flagged 3 times in '11 season | Main | Shockey denies Sapp claim he blew whistle on Saints »

March 21, 2012

Cam Newton surprised about bounty system

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said news of the Saints' bounty program caught him by surprise.

Los Angeles Times NFL writer Sam Farmer caught up with Newton last week during a break in the shooting of a Gatorade commercial in L.A.

The interview was taped  last week, before the league's report Wednesday that stated Newton was one of four quarterbacks targeted by the Saints, along with Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

"It caught me by surprise. But with me knowing some of the guys on the Saints, I know they are good guys," Newton said on the Times' video. "So you can't really believe all what the media makes of it. But it's still, golly, why is this being mentioned? Like they say, where there's smoke there's fire. But I just can't understand it."

In two games against the Panthers last season, Saints' defensive linemen were flagged for three personal foul penalties for hits on Newton, who was not injured in either game.

"If I'm a running back, if I'm a receiver, if I'm a linebacker, if I'm a D-tackle, you always have to respect that other person's career because they're feeding families just like I'm trying to feed my parents," Newton told the Times.

"And if you take those joints, those ligaments away by taking a cheap shot, it's bigger than one, little 'Yes, we took down their starting quarterback.' This quarterback can't even throw no more because you took a late hit on him. Yeah, it's 15 yards. But you're limiting this guy's whole career."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Is it just me or were these comments completely incoherent?

Posted by: Mark | Mar 21, 2012 5:42:38 PM

Now that all this bounty stuff has become public knowledge, I'd say ol Brees better be gettin rid of the ball a tic or two faster than he already does next season and their DL might wanna upgrade the knee protection devices that they wear. Payback is a bitch!!!

Posted by: jason wilmington | Mar 21, 2012 5:50:35 PM

@Mark...it's just you

Posted by: Mike | Mar 21, 2012 7:20:58 PM

I can honestly say in my 36 years as a sports fan I have never, in my entire life, heard a professional athlete throw the line out that he's "trying to feed his parents." Cam is just awesome.

Posted by: Wow | Mar 21, 2012 8:18:27 PM

Yeah I definitely understood everything.

Posted by: Adrian | Mar 21, 2012 9:14:29 PM

Mark, it's just you, you apparently want to find him incoherent and in doing so, say a lot more about yourself.

Posted by: Adam | Mar 21, 2012 10:20:59 PM

He's not very intelligent. That's not required to be an "entertainer slash icon."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 22, 2012 12:23:37 AM

@ Michael Procton,

The guilty dog barks first.

Posted by: MrMixx | Mar 22, 2012 4:29:39 AM

Saints Rule must not watch too much Aints football. FYI, they had an article yesterday about the late hit penalties on the Aints on Cam. I guess the stereotypes are true about all you inbreds down in "Nawlins".

Posted by: Mike P | Mar 22, 2012 6:56:37 AM

i definitely consider myself pro-cam, but intelligence isn't one of the traits I would highlight.

"feed my parents" is hilarious. next it will be "i gotta pay for my grandparents diapers and my cousins shoes"

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 22, 2012 10:43:50 AM

IRONY IN THIS IS THE ONES THAT ARE SAYING HE'S DUMB. THERES A SAYING HOLD YOUR TONGUE AND HAVE EVERYONE THINK YOU'RE AN IDIOT THEN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.. SOME OF YOU HAVE OFFICALLY REMOVED AL DOUBT..
@ THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM FEEDING HIS PARENTS.

HALF THE NFL WANT TO MAKE THAT BIG CHECK TO FEED THEIR KIDS OR PARENTS.

A LOT OF THE PLAYERS ARE FROM SINGLE PARENT HOUSEHOLDS AND SEE THEIR PARENT STRUGGLING.
SO IF HIS MOM AND POP WORKS AND MAKES A COMBINE AMOUNT OF 40,000 A YEAR. AND HE MAKES 20MIL A YEAR. DO I HAVE TO DO THE MATH FOR YOU.
MY MOM IS ON A DISABILITY CHECK THAT BARELY HELPS HER MAKE IT MONTH TO MONTH WITH BILLS AND ALL. SO IF I HAD THE CHANCE TO MAKE BIG MONEY LIKE THEY DO THEN YES I WOULD BE SAYING THE SAME THING. I AM TRYING TO FEED MY PARENTS. FYI FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW, WHEN HE SAY FEED HIS PARENTS HE BASICALLY IS GENERALIZING STATING THAT THEY DONT HAVE TO WORRY AND STRUGGLE ANYMORE(IM SURE THEY DONT REALLY STRUGGLE AS MUCH AS SOME) BUT HE'S BASICALLY SAYING HE WANTS TO BE ABLE TO SUCCEED AND TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY. HATS OFF TO HIM AND WHO ARE YOU ALL TO JUDGE HIM FOR THAT. IF YOU WAS IN HIS SHOES YOU WOULD BE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING

Posted by: PANTHERSFAN4LIFE | Mar 22, 2012 11:48:56 AM

Bounty program, saints are tainted as cheaters now, hard to erase that image..go panthers

Posted by: PANTHERNATION | Mar 23, 2012 2:49:44 AM