« Former coaches say Panthers newcomers will help special teams | Main | Panthers looking for linebacker depth »

March 28, 2012

Rivera: Not in Shockey's makeup to be 'snitch'

PALM BEACH, Fla.

Free agent tight end Jeremy Shockey thinks Warren Sapp's accusation that he was the “snitch” who blew the whistle on the Saints' bounty program could affect his ability to land with a team.

But if Shockey does not re-sign with the Panthers, Ron Rivera indicated the decision would have nothing to do with Sapp's claim, which NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said was inaccurate.

“If you know Jeremy Shockey, you know that's not Jeremy Shockey,” Rivera said today at the NFL owners meetings. “I know there was an insinuation that he had been the guy. But that's not Jeremy's makeup. That's not who Jeremy Shockey is.

“Jeremy Shockey's a guy that if there was something going on, that's their business. I would be surprised, I really would. It wouldn't hurt him in my eyes either way because, first of all, I think Jeremy Shockey's a tremendous person. I think he's also a very good football person – a football personality who understands this game.”

Drew Rosenhaus, Shockey's agent, remains in talks with the Panthers but said this week he does not think Shockey will be back in Charlotte.

The Panthers gave Shockey a 1-year deal worth $4 million last season, but are not inclined to pay him that much in a new contract.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Comments

Shockey wears make up?

Posted by: Frank | Mar 28, 2012 10:35:48 AM

Why is it a negative that anyone blew the whistle on the bounty program? Since everyone agrees bounty hunting was a bad idea then why is it a negative for the person who reported it? If any team thinks that is a negative they don't understand why bounty hunting was a problem and they are still part of the problem. Why would Rivera reinforce this attitude by saying "that not who Jeremy Shockey is?" Whoever did report the bounty hunting should be proud of what they did, not trying to hide in the shadows.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 28, 2012 10:51:06 AM

@Dan - Well said and I completely agree.

Posted by: Rodger | Mar 28, 2012 11:06:09 AM

I hate the whole "snitching" attitude or rather the negative attitude towards "snitching". What are we all 12 years old again? When we were young, we were foolish to think it was a bad think to report crimes. Now that we are older, we should know that reporting crimes and bad acts is necessary to survive as a culture. I'm tired of people supporting the idea of "snitches get stitches". I think the person who blew the whistle on the Saints should get a reward and be celebrated not hated on. Also, Coach Rivera might have meant that Shockey's style is not too secretly go and tell on anyone, if he were to blow the whistle, he would have let it be known. We all know Shockey is very outspoken.

Posted by: Ganthiger | Mar 28, 2012 11:14:40 AM

Dan, I dont think anyone is saying "whistleblowing" on something corrupt in the league is bad (see Eric Mangini and the Bel-i-cheat scandal) but this isn't being viewed as "whistleblowing" It's being viewed as snitching. There is a difference. That difference lies in the fact that Shockey used to be a Saint when the bounty program was in full effect. The allegations that he didn't say anything during his tenure there and instead waited til he was cut before saying something about it, makes him a snitch. That is why this is being viewed as a negative thing. I personally could care less eitherway. i like Shockey and would have no problem signing him for another year.

Posted by: Randomguy | Mar 28, 2012 11:18:15 AM

Sapp's comments are libelous. If Shockey sues Sapp, I'll assume JS is innocent. If Shockey doesn't sue Sapp, I'll assume Sapp is correct.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 28, 2012 11:22:03 AM

How come nobody has taken Sapp to task for this? Way to uplift the community Warren! Perpetuate the negative use of a stupid term.
Why do we see so many people with 30 arrests and no convictions? Cause "snitching aint cool" A term created by criminals to make honest people feel bad about telling the truth. Good job Mr. Sapp.

Posted by: Truth | Mar 28, 2012 11:26:59 AM

Truth - my thoughts exactly. Apparently, Sapp has a buddy who has an axe to grind with Shockey and he just went on air and claimed he had a source that could prove Shockey was the snitch. It's exactly the kind of behavior you would expect of someone who played at "the U" in the '90s and the Tampa Bay Bucs after that - a classless thug who, if there was any justice in this world, would have his jaw wired shut.

Posted by: J | Mar 28, 2012 11:46:30 AM

Re-sign Shockey! Tell the Saint's he did it and what you going to do about it! Bring it don't sing it! Let the hate flow!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 28, 2012 11:47:44 AM

wow, huddled is drinking some new flavor of Kool-Aid. Is that you Mr. Reese?? You sir have no idea of talent when you see it. If you think Tebow is better than Cam, your an idiot. If you don't think it's wise to bring the Knights back down town where they belong, you're an idiot. If you don't like Charlotte, MOVE!!

Posted by: DT | Mar 28, 2012 12:39:46 PM

I think it was CJ McCallum that snitched

Posted by: Coach K | Mar 28, 2012 12:48:48 PM

I'm sure it wasn't Rivera's intent to demean Shockey's character, but he emphatically did.
When did our moral & ethical compass deteriorate to the point of apathy toward another human being.
So, if Rivera sees an arsonist set fire to a family's home, he would say NOTHING? That's pitiful.
When we see a blatant injustice that could easily have harmed another person, isn't instinctive to step in? How could one consider himself a stand-up guy when you feel justified by turning your head.

Posted by: Happy2ride | Mar 28, 2012 1:04:16 PM

Get Shockey out of Charlotte. I referred to him as a "big mouth tight end" when CAR signed him and I stand by that. He's toxic. Trouble follows him. He should go.

Posted by: JD Harris | Mar 28, 2012 1:06:03 PM

I would like to know who blew the whistle on the Saints. That person is my hero. We have too much covering up of illegal activities and crimes as it is. We need more "snitches".

Posted by: dardjohn | Mar 28, 2012 1:08:21 PM

some of you hurt my brain reading your post

Posted by: zach | Mar 28, 2012 1:31:54 PM

Seems like Sapp is a snitch. And even worse to cause damage with no proof to take the mans job away. Maybe the NFL can give Shockey Sapp's job as commentator on Showtime and NFL channel.

Posted by: Ray | Mar 28, 2012 1:54:26 PM

huddled masses...how about you leave the state of north carolina, heck, leave the country and free us all of your stupid comments and negative attitude. you must have a pretty sucky life to come on here and try to bring everyone else down. you suck, go away.

Posted by: get a life | Mar 28, 2012 2:02:20 PM

I figured out who the stoolie is. Who is the most honest guy in the NFL?
Which player just had had first season on the team?
Which player does not play offense or defense and is a good christian boy?

Yeah, I know who the stoolie is.

Posted by: Bill Polian | Mar 28, 2012 2:54:56 PM

Send Shockey back to New Orleans, we know he's NO rat. All of New Orleans loves Shockey, and what he did for Jimmy Graham as a mentor was 1st class ..plus we could use another TE. The bounty was overboard, but the Saints are solid and no matter how many whacks Goodell gives them, it will just make them better.

Posted by: saintsfan | Mar 28, 2012 3:16:31 PM

If I had to choose between having Sapp or Shockey on my team I'd go with Shockey.

Posted by: Gene L | Mar 28, 2012 3:29:36 PM

Sources say it was Dree Brees,

Posted by: sc | Mar 30, 2012 9:16:46 AM

The NFL leads the league in betting. I'm not talking about brackets; I'm talking about point spreads. One reason professional soccer has not made it in this country is because a conventional betting line would fail. When the score is 1-0, does the winner cover? Is anybody ever more than a 1/2-goal favorite?

What if somebody wanted to put down serious money on Sunday afternoon football, and he or she knew about the bounty program New Orleans has made famous?

If Team B's offense is good was because of its quarterback, and you know that Team A is trying to take that quarterback out of the game, might you be tempted to invest a few bucks on Team A?

If you were connected, and close to the team, you might even offer to enhance the bounty yourself.

Posted by: Monster Beats By dr. dre | May 3, 2012 3:13:56 AM