« Cecil Newton: 'Nobody wants to hear of wicked intentions' | Main | Panthers get sixth-round comp pick »

March 26, 2012

Rosenhaus doubtful Shockey will return to Panthers

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.

Drew Rosenhaus said he is still in talks with the Panthers about veteran tight end Jeremy Shockey, although Rosenhaus believes Shockey likely will land elsewhere.

Rosenhaus, the well-known agent who represents Shockey, said he plans to talk with several teams this week at the NFL annual meeting about Shockey, who is an unrestricted free agent after spending last season with the Panthers.

“The door's still open (with the Panthers). We're still talking,” Rosenhaus said today. “But I think it's more likely that he would be on another team this year.”

Shockey, who will turn 32 before the season begins, caught a career-low 37 passes last year. But he stayed healthy and was praised for giving the Panthers a good locker room presence.

“He's a proven winner. He's got a great personality and leadership,” Rosenhaus said. “We're looking forward to him finding a team, maybe even while I'm here.”

Rosenhaus, who represents Carolina linebacker Jon Beason and several other Panthers, said he plans to meet with Panthers general manager Marty Hurney this week about Shockey and some of his other clients who are free agents.

“The Panthers are one of my favorite teams to deal with. I really like working with Marty. I'll go through it with him,” Rosenhaus said. “I don't know how aggressive they're going to be going forward in free agency. But I've got a few guys I want to talk to him about.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

I was supposed to have chicken for dinner. But on a relevant note, I will miss Shockey if we can't manage to hang on to him.

Posted by: Russ Penderson | Mar 26, 2012 1:20:58 PM

If J-Shock is lookin' for another 4mil per year, all I can say is "nice knowin' ya !

Posted by: nasty704 | Mar 26, 2012 1:30:17 PM

The Shockmeister had some good moments. I'm glad he was on the team. But bidness is bidness.

Posted by: Reece Mangum | Mar 26, 2012 1:44:02 PM

I think he wants more money than the panthers are willing to give... Drew Rosenhaus ladies and gentlemen

Posted by: zach | Mar 26, 2012 1:50:15 PM

LOL-Rosenhaus likes dealing with the Panther's-probably because they give in and overpay for their players. They aren't going to give Shock another 4mil and so Rosenhaus is going to go find another sucker to pay it. All about padding his pockets, he don't give a crap about his clients.

Posted by: DT | Mar 26, 2012 2:00:19 PM

He will be here all week. Now remember to tip your server.

Posted by: Eat me | Mar 26, 2012 2:01:52 PM

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Posted by: Arealpanthersfan | Mar 26, 2012 2:55:58 PM

NEXT QUESTION!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rdU-3fiMA

Posted by: Wow | Mar 26, 2012 2:59:24 PM

4 bills is a bit to much.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2012 3:08:03 PM

Thanks Shockley for helping the Panthers sweep the saints...your big mouth will definitly help our team.....now as a player I prefer Olsen and drafting a rookie

Posted by: Scott | Mar 26, 2012 3:23:54 PM

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE. Rosenhous says that Shockey has a great personality. Great leadership skills and we are looking forward to him finding a team. Seems to me with all that teams should be finding him.

Posted by: wayne4304 | Mar 26, 2012 4:30:54 PM

i prefer olsen and drafting some defensive help go panthers

Posted by: rob | Mar 26, 2012 4:30:55 PM

Rosenhaus is trying to hold onto some kind of leverage and make the Panthers think they're gonna have to pay real money to keep Shockey, but the truth of the matter is if anybody was that interested in Shockey, they would come to him. Instead his agent says he's going to approach some teams, not limited to the Panthers. All I needed to know, thanks. Panthers hold all the cards here. If they want him they can sign him cheap because there isn't a whole lot of interest out there from other teams. Although he could still say no thank you and retire, I guess, but nobody's paying 4 mil a year for him Drew, including the Panthers.

Posted by: OBXsurfer4 | Mar 26, 2012 4:41:38 PM

Panthers should make an attempt to sign Shockey.

Posted by: par404 | Mar 26, 2012 5:02:50 PM

No mas capo pesos.

Marty Hurney: the bane of all fantasy leagues.

Posted by: Bobby Sharpe | Mar 26, 2012 5:50:45 PM

so one minute its panthers are cheap, next minute its "they overpay their players" you guys are never satisfied.

name an overpaid player on the panthers. i can name you 6 on the bobcats (out of 15). None on the panthers come to mind except MAYBE d'angelo williams and that's only because of the coaching change, not because of his actual talent or potential. If anything the panthers have a ton of underpaid guys and a lot of key guys that weren't healthy last year.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 26, 2012 6:29:23 PM

I really don't like Drew Rosenhaus. He's all about the money. As a fan looking in, it seems completely wrong, but as an agent looking outward, it's exactly what an agent is supposed to be all about. But you know what, if I were an agent, I'd be all about making the player happy, because if he's happy, and the team that gets him is happy... one, I'll get more players to sign, and two, more teams will want to do business with myself and the players I'd represent. That's the approach Rosenhaus should take, but won't. Which is exactly why Shockey will be elsewhere this season.

Posted by: el | Mar 26, 2012 6:34:06 PM

Name an overpaid player? Ummm. Charles Johnson ring a bell?

As a team, when your performance is near the bottom of the league and your salary cap is near the top of the league, that means you have quite a few overpaid players.

Posted by: John in Concord | Mar 26, 2012 7:39:36 PM

Well said John in concord. We have quite the salary cap issue in Carolina. Not from overpaying anybody though...

Posted by: Beech | Mar 26, 2012 8:14:28 PM

i fully agree with charlottean here.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Mar 27, 2012 2:13:42 AM

Overpaid....plenty on this Panthers squad..let's see. Charles Johnson at 6yrs/$76mil, Jordan Gross at 6yrs/$60mil, Chris Gamble at 6yrs/$53.5mil, Ryan Kalil at 6yrs/$49mil, Thomas Davis (as it currently stands) at 5yrs/$36.5mil, D-Will at 5 yrs/$43mil, Otah at 5yrs/$14mil (he's oft too injured), Mare at 4yrs/$12mil, and Clausen at 4yrs/$6.3mil.

That's quite a few overpaid players for the Panthers if you ask me. Many of the above list don't deserve their salaries based on their performances. Then again, I'm sure some of you will say that they're all underpaid!

Posted by: KYL | Mar 27, 2012 4:56:07 AM

Look at the previous post of overpaid salaries...easy to understand why Rosenhaus loves working with Hurney.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 27, 2012 10:01:08 AM

Anyone have an opinion on why we haven't re-structured a few of our players since we are at the bottom of the rung concerning available $'s. I'm not quite sure why we are still paying Jimmy Clausen $1.5M per to not dress out for a game. I know that some guys will play themselves out of a contract before it's all over, but it's interesting to me why we haven't read a thing from Joe Person as far as expressing his opinion on the subject. Do you have one Joe?

Posted by: Mo | Mar 27, 2012 3:24:26 PM