« Panthers not likely to use tag | Main | Thomas Davis comments on 'Bountygate' refreshing »

March 04, 2012

Suh on Saints: 'It's unfortunate'

In his two NFL seasons, Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions has earned a reputation as one of the league's most aggressive defensive players, having been disciplined five times by the league including a two-game suspension last season for stomping on an opposing player.

Asked Sunday at NASCAR's Subway Fresh Fit 500 Sprint Cup race where he is grand marshal, Suh said he expects league commissioner Roger Goodell to take a strong stance in dealing with the New Orleans Saints and their 'bounty' program for knocking opposing players out of games.

"It's unfortunate to hear these things come out," Suh said in a pre-race press conference. "Me personally, I don't take part in those things and knowing my teammates and knowing my coaches, we wouldn't allow that.

"I understand it's a tough situation the commissioner has to deal with. As he has in the past, he's going to deal with it with a stiff hand. Hopefully, people can learn from the mistakes and make an example out of it.

Asked how common such programs are in the NFL, Suh said he didn't know because "I'm only in the Lions locker room."

Suh drew a distinction between what has been reported about the Saints' actions and playing aggressive football.

"We always have a band as a team and as a unit, especially as a defensive line, we want to be the first guys to get to the quarterback," Suh said. "But for me personally and for my teammates, we don't want to put anybody out. I would never want anybody to target me to take me out so why would I do it to somebody else?"

Suh was on site with Subway spokesman Jared Fogle, who is from Indianapolis. When Fogle said his hometown Colts are currently "rebuilding," Suh smiled.

"We're not too worried abou the the Colts right now," Suh said.

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

Odd story to put in the Inside the Panthers blog.

Posted by: JPhanatic10 | Mar 4, 2012 1:04:39 PM

This is related to the panthers how??

Posted by: Bighung | Mar 4, 2012 2:03:30 PM

Really looking for any excuse to criticize, eh?

The Panthers blog will also have anything NFL related that might be of interest to Panthers fans. In case you haven't noticed, New Orleans is one of our NFC South rivals so anything that impacts their future competitiveness is relevent to the Panthers. Suh, was Grand Marshall at the Sprint Cup race (NASCAR is also of local relevence) and since he was frequently labeled as a "dirty player" this past season, I'm sure many were curious to hear his reaction to this news... I know it was the first thing I thought of when I saw he was being interviewed.

Posted by: John | Mar 5, 2012 7:39:31 AM

I wish the panthers had players with the kill mentality of suh or the saints.

suh is a great player that tries hard....panthers are collecting their money most of the time and not playing hard, becoming an issue in pro sports.

we need some thug killers out there, cam is a good start to get us going that way.

Posted by: slim shady | Mar 5, 2012 9:30:11 AM

I miss you, Slim. You ignorant bastard.

Posted by: Slim's Brain | Mar 5, 2012 1:33:33 PM

You can win with class or you can win like a punk. If you have the mentality of "slim" then you need to remain a Saints fan. I'll take the Panthers team with Mr. Richards dictating with a firm hand the moral compass of this team and by transference our city and state.

Posted by: deepenwide | Mar 5, 2012 9:13:18 PM